PTSD Meets Retention Standard

twilli1313

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Good morning everyone. I have recently received my NARSUM and they advised that my PTSD diagnoses meets retention standards. Not sure how I can be found to have "reduced reliability and productivity" and still be found fit for duty. The psychiatrist on Fort Hood diagnosed me with Adjustment Disorder but my counselor and the VA C&P Examiner advised it was PTSD. I felt rushed and like I was just a number with the psychiatrist on Fort Hood and didn't care to elaborate about my condition because it was perceived that she honestly didn't care about what I had to say. That's why she diagnosed me with Adjustment Disorder instead of PTSD. My commander and WTU team suggests that I have no issues forming relationships and I'm basically fine. It's frustrating because they don't have a clue of all the stuff I struggle with. They see me for one week at a time every 3 months or so. It's been nearly 6 months since the last time I even saw them in person. I am part of the CCU so I'm remote and stay at home throughout my recovery. They have none of my notes from my civilian provider and strictly taking everything from the military command and medical team that doesn't even know me into consideration. Should I file a rebuttal to the MEB on my PTSD meeting retention standards? I'm trying to hit the 30% DOD threshold for medical retirement and won't get there with this statement on my NARSUM. This is directly from my NARSUM:

"Adjustment disorder with mixed symptoms (VA dx: PTSD) – For the claims of Adjustment disorder and Insomnia, VA C&P indicates that the SM meets the DSM-5 criteria for PTSD, noting stressor #1 as a head-on motor vehicle accident. On occupational and social impairment, DBQ examiner stated “reduced reliability and productivity.” SM’s AHLTA record indicates SM sought therapy for a few sessions using EDMR after his May 2018 MVA before being released. In January 2019, psychiatry noted “SM reported he had not been truthful, stating he had not wanted to pay for further therapy out of his settlement balance. SM has some occasional anxiety, although ruminating a great deal about his accident, he is capable of driving safely without problems.” Psychiatry noted a self-reported PCL score of 58 did not correlate with exam, noting poor coping skills and a concern for possible secondary gain. SM was conferred with a diagnosis of adjustment disorder with mixed symptoms, prescribed a trial of trazodone to help with sleep as needed, and determined to be fit from a psychiatric perspective. SM was recently prescribed prazosin and Prozac by his psychiatric provider, and continues to take Trazodone as needed for sleep. The SM has not had any psychiatric hospitalizations. DBQ examination noted that SM was able to drive from Booneville, Arkansas to his appointment at Fort Smith alone, a trip of approximately 38 miles. SM has no driving restrictions. DA 7652 notes that despite SM’s medical limitations, he strongly recommends retention, noting “this Soldier would easily form healthy working relationships within other military units, and has demonstrated responsibility, initiative and potential for leadership.” Commander does not indicate any impairment in duty due to any behavioral health conditions, or any symptoms that interfere with occupational functioning. Review of eProfile indicates no behavioral health limitations. Permanent duty restrictions are not warranted at this time. Although the SM has been diagnosed with an Adjustment Disorder by DoD and with PTSD by a DBQ examiner, the SM does not have: a persistence or recurrence of symptoms sufficient to require extended or recurrent hospitalization; or persistence or recurrence of symptoms that interfere with duty performance and necessitate limitations of duty or duty in a protected environment. Therefore, the SM meets retention criteria IAW Army Directive 2013-12 and AR 40-501, Ch. 3-33a, b, and c."

HI
In my non-professional and basic understanding is the Army and Air Force are keeping more and more PTSD/Anxiety cases. The old adage was to boot ASAP for PTSD, but now PTSD alone does not always warrant an unfit. Especially as your NARSUM states you may be able to form stable relationships and have no occupational safety hazards....

In my opinion the NARSUM reads as you can cope and continue to be a gainfully employed asset. But again I am just an Airman going through his own MEB and am just telling you what I believe is the current state of MH issues.

HI
In my non-professional and basic understanding is the Army and Air Force are keeping more and more PTSD/Anxiety cases. The old adage was to boot ASAP for PTSD, but now PTSD alone does not always warrant an unfit. Especially as your NARSUM states you may be able to form stable relationships and have no occupational safety hazards....

In my opinion the NARSUM reads as you can cope and continue to be a gainfully employed asset. But again I am just an Airman going through his own MEB and am just telling you what I believe is the current state of MH issues.

I appreciate your input. That’s what I’m learning as well. It’s frustrating because they don’t even know me. The only thing they know about me is what my OERs tell them and the very minimal interaction I’ve had with them. But the MEB stakes that as the only form of evidence as to my current state and ability to form relationships. I’m going to attempt to paint a different picture based on what I’m actually struggling with. Not sure it’ll help but we’ll see. Best of luck sir and thanks again for the reply!

I appreciate your input. That’s what I’m learning as well. It’s frustrating because they don’t even know me. The only thing they know about me is what my OERs tell them and the very minimal interaction I’ve had with them. But the MEB stakes that as the only form of evidence as to my current state and ability to form relationships. I’m going to attempt to paint a different picture based on what I’m actually struggling with. Not sure it’ll help but we’ll see. Best of luck sir and thanks again for the reply!

Not to make you feel any better, I looked at the C & Ps from a co-worker vs mine, I personally expect a 10-30% in my opinion vs the VASRD... my co-worker didn't even originally claim PTSD, has just a few boxes checked more than mine and got 70%.... to me the stories I hear are that MH ratings are a wildly chaotic crap shoot based on the VA rater you get for your case, and may require appeals to get to the rating you may feel you deserve.

Not to make you feel any better, I looked at the C & Ps from a co-worker vs mine, I personally expect a 10-30% in my opinion vs the VASRD... my co-worker didn't even originally claim PTSD, has just a few boxes checked more than mine and got 70%.... to me the stories I hear are that MH ratings are a wildly chaotic crap shoot based on the VA rater you get for your case, and may require appeals to get to the rating you may feel you deserve.
Wow, that sounds about right. It's all subjective in nature and that's what can make this process more stressful than it already should be. I will speak to legal counsel about my MEB findings tomorrow and will update you once I get their recommendation as to whether I should form a rebuttal or request an impartial medical review (IMR) based on her experiences and likely expected outcomes of all options.

My experience is that ratings are largely accurate. The rater is listening for the degree of difficulty the member is experiencing with occupational and social functioning. What you say ultimate drives the percentage.

I don't see the issue your trauma is from a car accident but you drive with no restrictions just fine. "Avoidance behaviors" is something they would really need to be seeing here and its not there if you were getting rides, walking, riding a bike or ubering everywhere I strongly believed this outcome would have been more favorable. Just communicating your self reports in a different way won't work now since it doesn't match your functioning limitations according to the doctor during the exam.

I hate to put it this way but the VA evidence will have a hard time helping you since the DoD did such a good job opining why they disagree in a very objective way. This narrative is strong and they back it up with convincing evidence.

It's not all lost I was in a situation where the VA did not agree with DoD over functional limitations the only edge I had was that the VA has a lot more due process for a service member than the DoD does. They also have the whole tie goes to the vet rule and that's how I prevailed but with fit/unfitting decisions its a lot different.

This is very true

I don't see the issue your trauma is from a car accident but you drive with no restrictions just fine. "Avoidance behaviors" is something they would really need to be seeing here and its not there if you were getting rides, walking, riding a bike or ubering everywhere I strongly believed this outcome would have been more favorable. Just communicating your self reports in a different way won't work now since it doesn't match your functioning limitations according to the doctor during the exam.

I hate to put it this way but the VA evidence will have a hard time helping you since the DoD did such a good job opining why they disagree in a very objective way. This narrative is strong and they back it up with convincing evidence.

It's not all lost I was in a situation where the VA did not agree with DoD over functional limitations the only edge I had was that the VA has a lot more due process for a service member than the DoD does. They also have the whole tie goes to the vet rule and that's how I prevailed but with fit/unfitting decisions its a lot different.
I agree, and it's not necessarily the driving itself that would be unfitting. I am able to drive but suffer from panic attacks regularly. Unfortunately, even when my wife drives or if I get a ride the result is the same and I still stress so it's easier to drive myself to appointments and my internship since the wheel is in my hands versus feeling vulnerable with someone else in control. I'll do my best to articulate it in a manner that makes sense to the MEB/PEB. If there were limitations to driving then I wouldn't be able to get to appointments or anything because my wife works and I have no choice. It is a very strong argument on their part and it took me by surprise when my commander recommended me for retention when it was the opposite of our conversation months ago. I'm glad it worked out for you though sir and thanks for the reply!

I just caught you are an officer too officers tend to always get a much tougher time with MEB's if I had to make an educated guess when I read BCMR cases it has a lot to do with resiliency they expect you to overcome a lot more than enlisted members.