PTSD, MST and MEB

navyyokosuka

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Hello,

I wanted to seek some advice as I have some questions that I do not know the answers too. First off a little bit of backstory, I was the victim of MST trauma during my deployment out in Yokosuka. Eventually it took a while, after my ship repeatedly tried to ADSEP me, but Congress and an Admiral had to discipline my ship and get me sent to the MEB. I obviously have no desire or ability to perform my current job (a Surface Warfare Officer in the Navy). However, I find it difficult to judge my ability to perform in the military as a whole. I spent the last year and half being retraumatized by the people on my ship and chain of command, but how am I supposed to judge my ability to perform in totality. Maybe in a different community or designator or MOS I would be better with real treatment. In Japan my command told me that mental health wasnt real and I was faking it.
My original plan was to join the National Guard once I finished my time. However right now I am in the process of a medical board. Has anyone ever managed to be medically retrained? I know they keep changing the regulations. My ultimate desire would be determined by the medical board to not able to be a SWO and sent to a different community until I finish my contract in one year, then leave and go into the Guard while doing civilian jobs. I do not know if this is even possible, as the regulations seem to state that if you cannot perform your specific job then you can be medical boarded. Which in the black and white I cannot do, I cant be a SWO due to my PTSD and triggers, but with proper treatment and a better job I may be able to improve.

However I think this is extremely unfair to be judged specifically based on these criteria, what other job where you get assaulted in determines your fitness by the specific guidelines of being able to do that specific job? I know pilots who have gotten hurt and sent to medical board for review but they end up as intel officers or other jobs because their medical conditions deems them unfit to do their job. However there does not seem to be this leniency for SWO's or those who face MST.

I am just curious if anyone else has had any experience trying to fight for a new MOS/Designator/Community during a medical board or any other similar situation? I would love the advice or any advice in similar situations. Its a tough position to be in and I am just trying to make myself set for the future and deal with the trauma while trying to not let it decide everything for me and removing me from any ability to serve in the future. But who knows, maybe the medical retirement would be best. I am seeking any advice or recommendations. It is a lot to think about and I have very few people who can understand or talk too regarding this.

A fit finding usually requires strong support from your CoC thats why those pilots got those re-classifications, if your trauma is making it difficult for you to perform and thats in your evals, commanders statements and medical records you are definitely looking at an unfit finding and a medical retirement. I think the medical retirement is what's best for you and preparing for this next chapter of your life requires all your concentration and effort so that the transition is seamless and uneventful.

The USN PEB leans heavily towards fit. I’m glad you received positive assistance v from your admiral.

A fit finding usually requires strong support from your CoC thats why those pilots got those re-classifications, if your trauma is making it difficult for you to perform and thats in your evals, commanders statements and medical records you are definitely looking at an unfit finding and a medical retirement. I think the medical retirement is what's best for you and preparing for this next chapter of your life requires all your concentration and effort so that the transition is seamless and uneventful.
Thank you for your advice and input. it definitely helps to put things in perspective.