PTSD Rating

C_nasstty

Registered Member
So I have 2 simple questions ...

1- is PTSD Rated at 50% regardless of severity at your intial evaluation for the MEB regardless if the PTSD is combat related or not

2-What’s the highest rating you’ve seen somebody receive for PTSD that was not taking Medication ? I’ve been told if you were not taking meds you’ll get rated 0%-20%

Warrior644

Staff Member
PEB Forum Lifetime Supporter
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
So I have 2 simple questions ...

1- is PTSD Rated at 50% regardless of severity at your intial evaluation for the MEB regardless if the PTSD is combat related or not

2-What’s the highest rating you’ve seen somebody receive for PTSD that was not taking Medication ? I’ve been told if you were not taking meds you’ll get rated 0%-20%
Welcome to the PEB Forum! :)

Based upon my experiences and in my opinion, I shall provide feedback to your inquiry as follows:

Q1: is PTSD Rated at 50% regardless of severity at your intial evaluation for the MEB regardless if the PTSD is combat related or not
A1a: No, mental conditions are rated based on how they affect the service member’s social and occupational functioning in accordance with the criteria annotated in 38 CFR VASRD §4.130 Schedule of ratings—Mental disorders. As such, any increased symptomology of the mental condition which affects the service member’s social and occupational life, a higher disability rating may be assigned by the DoVA Rating Agency.
A1b: The seriousness of the mental condition at the time of disability rating will be taken into consideration by the DoVA Rating Agency albeit the overall picture of the mental condition, including the history of symptoms, periods of no symptoms, and the overall ability of the service member to function over time are all important factors upon which the DoVA rating is based.
A1c: Upon the conclusion of the DoD IDES process, if you are placed onto the DoD military TDRL due to a PEB-referred "unfit for duty" medical condition is determined to be "permanent and unstable" then your military retired pay shall be calculated at a 50% rate while on TDRL if the DoD disability rating is at a minimum 30% or higher rating but below a 50% rating.

Q2: What’s the highest rating you’ve seen somebody receive for PTSD that was not taking Medication ? I’ve been told if you were not taking meds you’ll get rated 0%-20%
A2a: A DoVA 30% disability rating albeit that was solely based upon their own medical situation; individual symptomology generates individual disability results.
A2b: In reference to medication, to favorably assign a supporting 100%, 70% and 50% rating would require a need to have to take it at all times to qualify. Assignment of a 30% rating would still require a fairly regular medication regime to qualify in most instances. Nonetheless, the evidence from the medical reports must support any DoVA rating decision.

The bottom line is to make sure you discuss with your mental health provider any medications that are being taken, your ability to work, any relationships with friends and family, your social life, and any legal issues including substance abuse. All of the aforementioned circumstances could weigh heavily on the proper assignment of your DoVA disability rating by the DoVA Rating Agency. Take care!

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer!"

Best Wishes!

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">