PTSD VA reevaluation

Status
Not open for further replies.

epb315

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Medically retired TDRL Apr 2016; 90% VA (PTSD, back, IBS, etc), 70% DoD Combat Related PTSD
Notified by VA of reeval. Completed the reeval appointment with VES (Veterans Evaluations Services) contract Dr last week.
Question: On the ebenefits page there is an option for me to load additional documents. I thought about loading my VA treatment notes from my VA Psychologist and Psychiatrist since I have been in treatment with them since my TDRL retirement. I called the VA and they advised it wasn't necessary or advisable to upload any optional documents myself, and just go with requested documents from the examining Dr. Basically they (VA rep on the phone) advised just let the reeval be based on what the VES Dr submits. Does this sound right? Any general advise or info on the VA reeval process.

Medically retired TDRL Apr 2016; 90% VA (PTSD, back, IBS, etc), 70% DoD Combat Related PTSD
Notified by VA of reeval. Completed the reeval appointment with VES (Veterans Evaluations Services) contract Dr last week.
Question: On the ebenefits page there is an option for me to load additional documents. I thought about loading my VA treatment notes from my VA Psychologist and Psychiatrist since I have been in treatment with them since my TDRL retirement. I called the VA and they advised it wasn't necessary or advisable to upload any optional documents myself, and just go with requested documents from the examining Dr. Basically they (VA rep on the phone) advised just let the reeval be based on what the VES Dr submits. Does this sound right? Any general advise or info on the VA reeval process.
In my opinion, the DoVA representative is giving sound advice at this particular point in time.

If you truly want the DoVA Psychologist and Psychiatrist notes to be seen, I would suggest forwarding them to the TDRL Branch or PDA of your military department since that is what is normally requested anyway. Take care!

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer!"

Best Wishes!

The VA rep is correct. The VA evaluation conducted by VES is based on a VA DBQ. They will look at your medical notes from the VA and also they would have performed an evaluation that takes about one hour.

If that eval results in the VA wanting to lower your ratings, you can file a NOD and use what you have to substantiate the rating staying the same or increasing.

Thanks for the feedback. Definitely helps me settle it in my mind. I have a tendency to obsess about most everything and good feedback is reassuring.

Thanks for the feedback. Definitely helps me settle it in my mind. I have a tendency to obsess about most everything and good feedback is reassuring.
No worries; and you are welcome! :) Take care! :cool:

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer!"

Best Wishes!

Follow up question. Because my initial C&P exams and VA claim was part of the IDES process I did not have a VSO rep. It was all handled through my PEBLO as part of med retirement. Now that the VA is doing a reevaluation I realized I don't have a VSO rep. So I stopped by the local DAV chapter and asked the service officer if I needed one for a reevaluation. He said he didn't think it was necessary because I already had a completed claim and this was just a reevaluation. Basically just curious if I should engage a VSO rep or just let the VA complete the reevaluation. All my treatment since the initial claim has been through the VA so they have all med records, so in my mind there is nothing that could be added that they don't already have. Any thoughts or advice?

I'm right there with you.
TDRL- March 2016, 100% PTSD, and other crap.

Also on SSDI as of about 2 months ago. They back paid me which was sweet.

Just had my C&P follow up exam last week.

Now I'm Air Force. But was stationed at JBMDL and the med board shit is pretty similar for the other branches.

My AFW2 "Air Force wounded warrior" non medical care manager stated that about 18 months from my DOS, the Air Force will use the info from that C&P exam to make their final rating.

Checked my Ebennies.... a new case file was opened any the title "PTSD increase". That seems weird because rated 100% for that. Also rated an additional 80% for other shit which the VA didn't set me an C&P re evil for. My med board was for PTSD only so assuming their doing it so they can send their "findings" to the military. Just letting you know I'm kind of in the same exact timeline as you.

Matt

Thanks Matt. I'm AF as well (PTSD happened while attached to the Army in Afghanistan) and what you've said seems to line up pretty closely with what I've experienced/been told as well. If you don't me asking can you give me a snap shot of your SSDI process? I've had some folks advise I should pursue it but I honestly wouldn't know where to start. Also probably doesn't help that I don't go out much and generally don't like people or being around them.

Thanks Matt. I'm AF as well (PTSD happened while attached to the Army in Afghanistan) and what you've said seems to line up pretty closely with what I've experienced/been told as well. If you don't me asking can you give me a snap shot of your SSDI process? I've had some folks advise I should pursue it but I honestly wouldn't know where to start. Also probably doesn't help that I don't go out much and generally don't like people or being around them.
In addition to Matt's forthcoming feedback, I offer that you review my URL <http://www.pebforum.com/site/thread...isability-insurance-ssdi-compensation.24005/> for a detailed explanation about the SSA SSDI process for any individual who wants to submit an application. Take care!

Best Wishes!

Good info above me.

Here's my snap shot as you requested.

- went online . Actually googled social security disability.

- went to their website and filled out some info.

- got a packet in the mail I think about 2 weeks later. About 5-6 pages. Filled it out. Mailed it in.

- forgot about it.... got a call from my regional social security office stating I have an appointment at their disability claim office or whatever it's called. Guy on the phone gave me a address, date and time. Also got a letter in the mail after the fact with the address, date and time....

- went to my appointment. It was retarded! The case worker. I don't even think he was a psychiatrist or anything. He talked to me for about 10 mins at his desk. I had all my military records in my back pack. 17 years worth and about 900 pages. lol. He didn't even look at them. That was it. He said they will contact my home va and get the info from them.

- went home pretty much thinking it was a waste of gas, and the hour drive.

-I got a letter in the mail saying I was denied. Ok. That was it. Never thought anymore about it.

- forgot about the whole thing. Got a call about 4 months afterwards from the regional office saying I was approved, they got all my VA records and I guess the VA I use took care of the rest.

They back paid me. Like 25k and also my kids mother got like 10k back pay.

Got a letter in the mail after the verbal approval really quick like 2 days.

Saying I'm approved, date of disability, how much I'm getting paid and how much they are back paying me and so on.

After I was approved. I didn't do shit. Payments come about the 2'd week of the month and that's about it.

All I can say is try. I read all these horror stories and the bs people have to go through. It sucks. Some people get lucky and it goes smoothly. Others have to fight, dig in, and fight some more.

I didn't even know about The social security disability if it wasn't for this site and google. The military didn't tell me shit. The VA really doesn't tell you anything unless YOU ASK!

The whole process from start to finish meaning paycheck in the account took about 6 months.

I just applied with a what the heck attitude. I figured the military booted me. I'm a 100% through the Va and it doesn't hurt to try.

Where are you located man? I'm in upstate NY.

Matt

Last edited:
Warrior 644, Matt, Thank you both. This site has been really helpful. Matt ironic parallels, 17 yrs AF (3 with Army) and then Med retirement as well. I will pursue the SSDI thing. Cant hurt. Maybe could even help my ex. We split after the MEB. She had had enough. Cant blame her I was a mess, and still am, however at least not suicidal anymore.
Warrior 644, I know we are here for PEB stuff etc, but your profile pic makes smile. We had a "blimp" on our FOB in the Afghanistan. We were also a blackout FOB. So a Kiowa makes a night landing in pitch black and on approach his rotor cuts the blimp tether. Still don't know how he didn't crash. He lands and the blimp and millions of dollars of equipment go floating off down the valley. The circus that ensued was pretty funny in hindsight (at the time not so much).
Anyway thanks for the feedback.

Warrior 644, Matt, Thank you both. This site has been really helpful. Matt ironic parallels, 17 yrs AF (3 with Army) and then Med retirement as well. I will pursue the SSDI thing. Cant hurt. Maybe could even help my ex. We split after the MEB. She had had enough. Cant blame her I was a mess, and still am, however at least not suicidal anymore.
Warrior 644, I know we are here for PEB stuff etc, but your profile pic makes smile. We had a "blimp" on our FOB in the Afghanistan. We were also a blackout FOB. So a Kiowa makes a night landing in pitch black and on approach his rotor cuts the blimp tether. Still don't know how he didn't crash. He lands and the blimp and millions of dollars of equipment go floating off down the valley. The circus that ensued was pretty funny in hindsight (at the time not so much).
Anyway thanks for the feedback.
Indeed, you are welcome! :)

Yes, I was the Assistant Product Manager (APM) of the aerostat "blimp" project when on active duty. It was a very rewarding project as well a very dangerous one too. We fielded numerous aerostats in Iraq and Afghanistan during my tenure as the APM for two years. :D

We, too, had many combat experiences with aerostat breakaways; it was gut wrenching to see millions of dollars of sensitive equipment float away. In one particular incident, we had to coordinate with the USAF to shoot down the aerostat before it floated into enemy airspace! :eek:

Wow, that brings back some positive combat experiences thanks! Now, if I can only just deal with all of the negative combat experiences, I just might get off of the DoD TDRL and placed onto the DoD PDRL. ;) Take care! :cool:

Best Wishes!

I'm right there with you.
TDRL- March 2016, 100% PTSD, and other crap.

Also on SSDI as of about 2 months ago. They back paid me which was sweet.

Just had my C&P follow up exam last week.

Now I'm Air Force. But was stationed at JBMDL and the med board shit is pretty similar for the other branches.

My AFW2 "Air Force wounded warrior" non medical care manager stated that about 18 months from my DOS, the Air Force will use the info from that C&P exam to make their final rating.

Checked my Ebennies.... a new case file was opened any the title "PTSD increase". That seems weird because rated 100% for that. Also rated an additional 80% for other shit which the VA didn't set me an C&P re evil for. My med board was for PTSD only so assuming their doing it so they can send their "findings" to the military. Just letting you know I'm kind of in the same exact timeline as you.

Matt

Sounds like you are entitled to SMC-S given that you have a total rating of 100% ptsd and 80% for unrelated disabilities. You didn't mention you were receiving it so I thought I would mention it. If you already are then disregard.

I have a question I am 100 % for PTSD with the VA but am not permanent, I have a reevaluation end of the year is it possible that I will lose that rating, after the reevaluation? I have other stuff to fall back on like tinnitus migraines to name a few.

I have a question I am 100 % for PTSD with the VA but am not permanent, I have a reevaluation end of the year is it possible that I will lose that rating, after the reevaluation? I have other stuff to fall back on like tinnitus migraines to name a few.

@rajeev2liz,

A few points-

I saw that you have been a member of the PEB FORUM for several years! I am glad to see a long-time member posting and, hopefully, we have been a helpful source of information and support for you!

Aside from my answering here as best I can, I want to state again (as I have a million times) that it is always the best practice to get an answer to your own questions to open a new thread about your questions and issues. You posted a question in a thread that prior to the previous response is two years old. Now, this is partly my own fault. I don't ever want people to not be able to pose questions and I want to encourage the ability of folks to ask questions. It is clearly my fault as I could close threads for responses or take other steps to make people post their own threads. This is a constant tension with this forum and I just mention it now to encourage folks to post their own issues and questions in their own thread. It makes it easier to answer, it improves the likelihood you will get an answer based on current law and regulations and it is the preferred method.rat

Wooh! I have gotten through all of the prefatory comments.

From your post, I don't know if you are asking about a VA scheduled re-evaluation or if you still have military issues you are asking about. (I see you have posted at least 50 times here...I am not going to review those). I am going to assume you are only asking about VA ratings. If my assumption is wrong, please respond to clarify.

I have a reevaluation end of the year is it possible that I will lose that rating, after the reevaluation?

Yes, that is possible. Recall, though, that they have to notify you of any proposed reduction If you disagree and demand a hearing, the VA cannot decrease your payments while you appeal. So, if you disagree, tell them that and request a hearing.

I have other stuff to fall back on like tinnitus migraines to name a few.

If you are not already pursuing that "other stuff," you probably should pursue that now.

I hope all goes well for you and that you get all of the compensation and benefits that you are due.

Thread closed. Members are encouraged to present their questions in their own thread.

RonG
Mod

Status
Not open for further replies.