PTSD

huck11B

Registered Member
If you have already been diagnosed with PTSD from combat related incidents and you commit suicide does your family still get the $400,000 life insurance? I understand it is self inflicted but only because of the ptsd so it would make sense to me for them to still get it. I'm not saying that I am going to commit suicide, I am honestly just curious.

The circumstances under which the SGLI program will not pay a claim are very limited, and include suicide within two years of issue, death while committing a felony, or if you lie about your health on the application and die within the first two years (the so-called “contestability period” in life insurance) of the policy.

However, the SGLI probably would not be calculated as having died in theater.

Depends on if the investigation rules it "suicide" or something else like "negligent discharge". Personal experience here, seen it pay out. We all know the army is trying to drop the number of "suicides"... But sooooo not worth it. I've made so many trips to Arlington. The pain my friend left behind, he never could have imagined. His father, brother, family, friends, and people there that day will never be the same.

Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem.

That being said, it used to be that a suicide is not considered in line of duty unless the person was not mentally responsible for his or her actions, and nobody could actually commit suicide if they were mentally responsible. Military mumbo jumbo for its considered in line of duty. Haven't looked in maybe 6 or 7 years, so that may have changed.

If you are seriously contemplating suicide go have yourself committed to an inpatient psych ward. I did so recently and was there for a week. It was one of the most boring weeks of my life (no cell phone or wifi allowed) but I was able to speak directly to a treatment team daily and have my meds adjusted daily as well.