Question about After the 199..

Unkn0wn

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I am a little confused about what happens after you sign the 199 form (?)
From a NAVY standpoint, I understand that you can basically pick the date you want to get out - as long as it is within 90 days, right?
First, when does this come up? When you go sign it, or at a separation meeting? How long after you sign do you find out when your last day is?
Second, how quickly can you get out? Is it 10 days or 30 days?
I am hoping to get out and moved by Christmas - is this even feasable now? I don't want to get my kids all sorts of Christmas gifts, then have to move with them (trying to keep them from seeing them at the same time).. I am hoping to be able to start sending all the gifts to my parents house in preparation to have christmas there. But at the same time, I don't want to do that, and end up still here.
This is stressful being at the end of a med board during the holidays.

Thanks for the feedback.

It took me 2 weeks to get my TDRL message from the day I signed my receipt of findings. I wanted my retirement date to be 19DEC but when I got the messaged it was set for 28DEC. The soonest you can get out from my understanding is 30days not to exceed 90.

My timeline.

April 2013: First Limdu
Oct 2013: Second Limdu
April 2014: Med/PEB Initiated
26Sept2014: Accepted Findings 40%DOD 80%VA TDRL
15Oct2014: TDRL authorization message received RAD 28Dec2014 TDRL 29Dec2014
14Nov2014: Received retirement orders
28Nov2014: Starting terminal leave

Hey just a little advice from my timeline a few months ago, once my 199 was accepted by SECArmy then 90 days from that is when my orders were published for. That was June 17 and my orders were dated for September 17th, I started terminal leave on August 7th and flew home that day

I think the navy is slightly different. I believe other branches date them for 90 days, but the navy does orders that say to separate NLT 90 days, so the actual sep date can be well before the 90 day mark. I am not sure though. Just what I have gathered from reading these posts.

I think the navy is slightly different. I believe other branches date them for 90 days, but the navy does orders that say to separate NLT 90 days, so the actual sep date can be well before the 90 day mark. I am not sure though. Just what I have gathered from reading these posts.

I understand that when the agency gets your app and it's all signed, the 90 day clock begins the date THEY sign off on it.

So by the time it filters down to the TRANSPOC people and the time it takes to notify you - well, you really have less than 90 days.

I technically had 90 days maximum before I PDRL'ed, but it took "the system" 2 weeks to notify me. So I actually had 90 days minus the time it took the approval to percolate down to me.

You don't need to use up all 90 days if you want out earlier - you can discharge sooner than the maximum 90 day start date window.

nwlivewire

I would like much sooner. Do you know the minimum? I am wondering if it possible to clear and sign out on terminal within days after signing.

I would like much sooner. Do you know the minimum? I am wondering if it possible to clear and sign out on terminal within days after signing.

Yes. It's possible to go out quickly.

Providing your transition office has been notified of your impending discharge orders from the higher agency in their system, and providing you are totally cleared from your unit gear/equipment, and did all the out-processing stuff.

You can submit a request to burn up leave, too - or sell it back.

I don't know if there is a minimum per se. It depends on how fast all the moving parts can coordinate.

But I would think if you are ready to go and did all your out-processing "punch list" - 30 days is about a pretty quick time line from signing the 199 to final "out".

Remember the holidays are upon us - that can slow things down a bit with folks taking leave and all.
nwlivewire

I was given the nlt 90 day window and had 52 leave days. I took 40 and sold the 12. I was also given the option to have my last day be curtailed but required the first 0-6 in CoC signature

I am a little confused about what happens after you sign the 199 form (?)
From a NAVY standpoint, I understand that you can basically pick the date you want to get out - as long as it is within 90 days, right?
First, when does this come up? When you go sign it, or at a separation meeting? How long after you sign do you find out when your last day is?
Second, how quickly can you get out? Is it 10 days or 30 days?
I am hoping to get out and moved by Christmas - is this even feasable now? I don't want to get my kids all sorts of Christmas gifts, then have to move with them (trying to keep them from seeing them at the same time).. I am hoping to be able to start sending all the gifts to my parents house in preparation to have christmas there. But at the same time, I don't want to do that, and end up still here.
This is stressful being at the end of a med board during the holidays.

Thanks for the feedback.

The process would be that you go back to your command and await a separation message. This message basically tells the command that you (the servicemember) are authorized to separate.

You will then begin separating...sep physicals, ITP stuff, etc. You can begin this stuff now and DON'T have to wait until the message comes.

Once you receive the message, you will have 90 days to separate. This 90 days DOES NOT include terminal leave.

Once you choose a date, PSD will process your paperwork and official separation orders will be released with your date of beginning terminal leave.

Hope this answers your initial question.

Also, don't expect an initial authorization message to be individualized with your name on it. It will have other servicemembers listed on it, so in 7-14 days, have your admin department look for a sep authorization message in message traffic and then look at it closely to see if your name is on it.

In my case, the command looked for an individualized message with my name on it. The command received the message two days before. This delayed my separation timeline by two days as I wanted to expedite separating.

GUNDECKER, thanks for all the info. What I am really wondering is how quickly this can all happen? I want to expedite as much as possible. So after you sign the paper, you wait 7-14 days for message traffic, then when the message comes in, how quickly can you get cleared and separated? I am hoping to be on terminal by Christmas but it isn't looking good at this point.

It took me 2 weeks to get my TDRL message from the day I signed my receipt of findings. I wanted my retirement date to be 19DEC but when I got the messaged it was set for 28DEC. The soonest you can get out from my understanding is 30days not to exceed 90.

My timeline.

April 2013: First Limdu
Oct 2013: Second Limdu
April 2014: Med/PEB Initiated
26Sept2014: Accepted Findings 40%DOD 80%VA TDRL
15Oct2014: TDRL authorization message received RAD 28Dec2014 TDRL 29Dec2014
14Nov2014: Received retirement orders
28Nov2014: Starting terminal leave
I am at 2 weeks and 2 days for my wait for my TDRL message. I am really hoping to get it this week so I can be home for the holidays. I picked to have my separation date 30 days out so I will be on terminal the same day I get my message since I have already completed check out. Fingers crossed my message comes in today.