Question about back ratings

ThatAFGuy

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I have been fighting my way to continue my military career but I fear the MEB process may be just around the corner. My back pain is getting out of control and I am not longer able to PT. I recently had a discectomy that for the most part was successful (in the fact I am able to walk upright again.) I believe I had some permanent nerve damage (either from the surgery or the doctors taking so long to schedule surgery), either way I have permanent numbness in my left lower leg. I am having another MRI done after the new year to see if the disc are reherniated (I believe they are). My question is since my disabling factor is my back, would the DOD only look at my back pain or would they look at all things associated with it. back pain, ROM, Numbness, degenerative disk disease and so on. I am worried about that magic 30 number. Thanks everyone

The DoD should consider all injuries that would lead to your overall fitness. When rating spinal injuries, it seems that the range of motion is the go to, however they will consider numbness due to nerve damage as well.

Continue to request treatment for the numbness, try to get an EMG (they do not always show the nerve damage, especially if it originates at the spinal column).

My MEB was back in 2011. I was doing a halfway job of hiding everything but I was hit with sleep apnea. I use to joke how I talked my way out of three MEB's. They assured me they would only look at the sleep apnea but they looked at everything as I suspected. I did get 80% from the AF and did learn I wasn't up to snuff to do my job. I would expect them to look at everything and if you think it will happen I would try to get everything lined up so you will be ready.