Question about DoDi 6130.03

AirmanKelly

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
I see there has been an update to 6130.03 and my question is does it cover re-enlistments or just initially getting in? If not, which reg covers that?

I've posted my stuff here before, but for back reference:
Air National Guard, 16 years in, diagnosed with a malignant bone tumor in April 2014. Surgery to remove tumor removed my whole right ischium and everything attached to that was reattached elsewhere. Four years cancer free but on a permanent run/walk profile due to pain and nerve damage in my leg. Medboard complete, found fit for duty for continued military service. ALC-C2.

My current enlistment is up May 2019. Will all this make me ineligible for re-enlistment? I am an Air Guard Technician and would lose this position if I cant re-enlist. Unfortunately, the Title 5 list came out and my position wasn't one of them.

Thanks for any guidance.

I saw the updated DoDI 6130.03 this morning as well. Through quick searches, the primary update seems to be in regard to gender dysphoria. Bold added for emphasis. The 2012 update to the 2010 version states: "r. Current or history of psychosexual conditions (302), including but not limited to transsexualism, exhibitionism, transvestism, voyeurism, and other paraphilias" as being Learning, Psychiatric, and Behavioral issues that are not compatible with military service.

The new version completely removes that line and includes a new paragraph: "c. This issuance does not apply to any medical issue associated with gender dysphoria or gender transition; such medical accession standards are addressed in separate guidance. Any questions regarding such medical accessions standards or procedures should be directed to the Commander, U.S. Military Entrance Processing Command (USMEPCOM)."

I'm assuming these changes were made to better prepare the DoD's arguments for removal of non-deployable transgender members from service in their upcoming "Universal Retention Policy" instruction.

Additionally, DoD has added more language in regard to conditions that are duty limiting: "i. History of any condition that may reasonably be expected to interfere with the successful performance of military duty or training or limit geographical assignment."

Perhaps the most significant change and directly related to your question. This paragraph: "b. Applicants for enlistment in the Military Services. For medical conditions or defects predating original enlistment, these standards apply to enlistees’ first 6 months of active duty" has been changed to: "b. Applicants for enlistment in the Military Services. For medical conditions or defects that predate the current enlistment and were not aggravated in the line of duty during the current enlistment, these standards apply to enlistees during the first 6 months of the current period of active duty." As your condition was likely in the line of duty, you shouldn't have any issues. They'd still need to MEB you to separate or retire you in order to remove you medically.

Perhaps the most significant change and directly related to your question. This paragraph: "b. Applicants for enlistment in the Military Services. For medical conditions or defects predating original enlistment, these standards apply to enlistees’ first 6 months of active duty" has been changed to: "b. Applicants for enlistment in the Military Services. For medical conditions or defects that predate the current enlistment and were not aggravated in the line of duty during the current enlistment, these standards apply to enlistees during the first 6 months of the current period of active duty." As your condition was likely in the line of duty, you shouldn't have any issues. They'd still need to MEB you to separate or retire you in order to remove you medically.

I couldn't edit my original post, but I did notice additional changes in the last two statements. The first statement clarified that the medical standards apply for the enlistees' first 6 months of ACTIVE DUTY, but the second statement states that the medical standards apply to the enlistees' first 6 months of their CURRENT PERIOD of active duty. I'm guessing that this could mean that the member could separated for being medically unfit for predated medical conditions and defects within the first six months of their re-enlistment (though it could also be interpreted to state that it applies to the first six months after re-entry into active duty from inactive or reserve/guard status).

Additionally, I think the DoD instruction that will spell out whether you can re-enlist or not is still in the works. I'm anticipating that guidance regarding that issue will be included in the upcoming "Universal Retention Policy" instruction.

Edit- Attached the current and previous versions of DoDI 6130.03.

Attachments

• DODI_6130.03_MAR 18.pdf
    248.1 KB · Views: 9
  • DODI_6130.03_JUL12.pdf
    493.3 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
I read those two but I don't see a reenlistment mention. Like you said, that's probably another reg when they get around to it. I'm at a point now where I am just going about my business like normal. They'll do what they are going to do regardless and on their own time.