question about medboard and reserves

concernedwife

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
if this isnt the correct part of the forum for this then i apologize.

husband was medboarded and found FIT - BUT he was found non-deployable due to the migraines he has which he was medboarded for. they would allow for him to re-enlist, but he would be shore duty and he wouldn't make chief if he did that, so he is getting out as an IT1. he is active duty navy and getting out in october of this year.

my question is this:

he recently spoke with someone "recruiting" for the reserves and they said that they would take him.

he put in his c-way[?] today and we are waiting to hear back. would they allow him to go reserves if he is non-deployable during active duty? to me, that doesn't sound right but figured i could ask here and get better input.

also, how long does it take to hear back to see if you are able to join the reserves? they said he would meet quota, whatever that means.

thanks in advance!

I don't have answers for most of your questions; @Guardguy11 might be able to help although he is NG.

This means meeting a target or goal, "they said he would meet quota, whatever that means." In other words, that is of no benefit to your husband; it is tantamount to saying, "We would like to corral 15 longhorn steers this week." Perhaps, the wording or intent was different...

Good luck,
Ron

I don't have answers for most of your questions; @Guardguy11 might be able to help although he is NG.

This means meeting a target or goal, "they said he would meet quota, whatever that means." In other words, that is of no benefit to your husband; it is tantamount to saying, "We would like to corral 15 longhorn steers this week." Perhaps, the wording or intent was different...

Good luck,
Ron

thank you - hoping someone could help.

My wife is AGR and getting kicked out because she is active duty. There are several Reservists in her unit that are non deployable and they are not kicking them out because they are very short on numbers. I know it seems weird but not only due the different branches interpret the deploy or get out DOD policy but I have seen that the NG and Reserves don't strictly adhere to it either. Basically it comes down to the needs of the particular brand of service if that makes sense. That's why everyone at her unit was shocked that she would be kicked out since they aren't doing it for TPU soldiers.

Provis is correct its needs of the service,

Going reserves from active is easier then trying to do it once you were out. There are just a lot of variables with the service that we cant answer.

My wife is AGR and getting kicked out because she is active duty. There are several Reservists in her unit that are non deployable and they are not kicking them out because they are very short on numbers. I know it seems weird but not only due the different branches interpret the deploy or get out DOD policy but I have seen that the NG and Reserves don't strictly adhere to it either. Basically it comes down to the needs of the particular brand of service if that makes sense. That's why everyone at her unit was shocked that she would be kicked out since they aren't doing it for TPU soldiers.

thanks so much for your reply. i don't believe he will be in the reserves immediately, he just turned in his c-way to see if he would be able to get in for when he gets out of active duty in the next several months. not sure if that makes any sense. does this mean that although he is non-deployable WHILE active duty, he CAN join the reserves....and be non-deployable?

thanks agin for your time - all of you!

Hello @concernedwife,

His DD 214 will include a RE Code.

U.S. Military RE codes are entered on military discharge documents (DD Form 214, Record of Discharge) and characterize a member's future eligibility to enlist or reenlist after discharge or separation from the military service.

Ron
cc: @RaiderX

Hello @concernedwife,

His DD 214 will include a RE Code.

U.S. Military RE codes are entered on military discharge documents (DD Form 214, Record of Discharge) and characterize a member's future eligibility to enlist or reenlist after discharge or separation from the military service.

Ron
cc: @RaiderX

wonderful, thank you. not sure how that works considering he doesnt get out for another six months and he already "applied" to be in the reserves.

wonderful, thank you. not sure how that works considering he doesnt get out for another six months and he already "applied" to be in the reserves.
Just an opinion from a former senior NCO:

It make no sense to recruit someone who is non-deplorable. One of the effects of non-deployability is that someone else has to go in place of the person non-deployable.

I do not know your husband, but generally speaking, I would not want a person in my unit who will always be non-deployable. Even sustainment brigade personnel deploy...

DoDI 1332.45, July 30, 2018 SECTION 2:RESPONSIBILITIES6
The Secretaries of the Military Departments,
b. May:
(1) Retain in service those Service members whose period of non-deployability exceeds the 12 consecutive month limit in Paragraph 1.2. of this issuance if determined to be in the best interest of the Military Service.
(2) Delegate the authority in Paragraph 2.4.(b)(1) of this issuance to retain in service those Service members whose period of non-deployability exceeds the 12 consecutive month limit. Such a delegation must be in writing, and may only be made to Presidentially Appointed, Senate-Confirmed officials; Senior Executive Service members; or general/flag officers serving
at the Military Department or Service headquarters.

(3) Initiate administrative separation processing, or referral to the DES, as appropriate,prior to a non-deployable Service member being in a non-deployable status for 12 months when the Military Service determines there is a reasonable expectation that the reason will not be resolved and the Service member will not become deployable.

Good luck,
Ron