script async src="//pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/js/adsbygoogle.js">

Question about PFA and MEB

mpete76

Registered Member
I have had a few spinal surgeries, microdiscectomy, L5-S1, first one was Left side only in Nov 2016, They took me off sea duty, for it. I went LIMDU, finished my Physical Therapy. Hated LIMDU, I was so bored. Tired to go back to sea duty, Detailer would not let me, I had done 3 back to back sea duty tours previously. So I had to go to shore duty. Came off LIMDU in 4 months, in March of 17. May 2017 Rfan PFA, reinjured the L5-S1 both side and L4-L5, both sides. Waived from Fall 2017 PFA, Had surgery again in February 2018, Waived from PFA, followed up with direction from Neurosurgery to stop running and doing Sit-ups, they are injuring the back. July 2018 received retirement approval for July 2020 and matched EAOS to HYT. I'm currently an Instructor. PRT cycle starts up, CFL tells me he has start Med board process because of the two waivers for the same thing when I had surgery. I never dealt with this before, just want to make it to my retirement date. Had I known it would have been this much of a pain in the ass, I would have just failed the last few and avoided the medical waiver altogether. Can't kick you out for PFA failures now, just cant reenlist.

Began swimming to lose weight (Never failed a PFA by the way) gained because of PT limitations, tore rotator in the Right shoulder. Does it never end.

cw123

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
If your doctor decides to med board you, there is a section in your commanding officer's non-medical assessment asking if they recommend you to continue on active duty with limitations (permanent limdu). If they recommend yes and you check the box indicating you desire to stay Navy then your chances may be pretty good. My Navy disability attorney said your desire to stay (or go) goes a long way as to your fit/unfit determination.

vanessa85

Registered Member
I have had a few spinal surgeries, microdiscectomy, L5-S1, first one was Left side only in Nov 2016, They took me off sea duty, for it. I went LIMDU, finished my Physical Therapy. Hated LIMDU, I was so bored. Tired to go back to sea duty, Detailer would not let me, I had done 3 back to back sea duty tours previously. So I had to go to shore duty. Came off LIMDU in 4 months, in March of 17. May 2017 Rfan PFA, reinjured the L5-S1 both side and L4-L5, both sides. Waived from Fall 2017 PFA, Had surgery again in February 2018, Waived from PFA, followed up with direction from Neurosurgery to stop running and doing Sit-ups, they are injuring the back. July 2018 received retirement approval for July 2020 and matched EAOS to HYT. I'm currently an Instructor. PRT cycle starts up, CFL tells me he has start Med board process because of the two waivers for the same thing when I had surgery. I never dealt with this before, just want to make it to my retirement date. Had I known it would have been this much of a pain in the ass, I would have just failed the last few and avoided the medical waiver altogether. Can't kick you out for PFA failures now, just cant reenlist.

Began swimming to lose weight (Never failed a PFA by the way) gained because of PT limitations, tore rotator in the Right shoulder. Does it never end.
So ended up happening ??