Question about the PEB

weatherwatcher92

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
I am in the Marine Corps and started light duty in june 2011 and was placed on limdu in November 2011 for back problems. in may of this year my limdu expired and i have been seeing a neurologist out in town since my condition first started and my neurologist said that my condition would take around 2 years to heal if it even heals at all. i have gone through physical therapy and that only made things worse so they have done 2 mri and several EMG nerve tests and my neurologist found that it would be best if i was put on a PEB so i turned in the recommendation and my regiment MO said that he couldnt sign off on it and that a civilian dr didnt have the authority to recommend me for a PEB and i needed to get a referral to the neurologist on base so they put me on my 2nd limdu i was wondering if this was true and if not what i could do about it

it's true. The referral into an MEB/PEB has to come from a military care provider. The military doc can incorporate the civilian doc's medical notes into theirs, but the final signing authority has to be DoD. What you need to get is a fitness for duty evaluation - that can also trigger an MEB. BUT it has to be requested by a military official, either your Commander or military primary care provider.

I am in the Marine Corps and started light duty in june 2011 and was placed on limdu in November 2011 for back problems. in may of this year my limdu expired and i have been seeing a neurologist out in town since my condition first started and my neurologist said that my condition would take around 2 years to heal if it even heals at all. i have gone through physical therapy and that only made things worse so they have done 2 mri and several EMG nerve tests and my neurologist found that it would be best if i was put on a PEB so i turned in the recommendation and my regiment MO said that he couldnt sign off on it and that a civilian dr didnt have the authority to recommend me for a PEB and i needed to get a referral to the neurologist on base so they put me on my 2nd limdu i was wondering if this was true and if not what i could do about it

Like comeback said " "the final signing authority has to be DoD", so talk to your civilian doc. Have him write a letter, provide his notes the two MRI's and EMG's. Once you have presented that to a mil doc.... It will move right along. If it's DENIED, request a second opinion. ;)

My MEB was initiated after my MMRB decided not to reclass me, but all the facts for my case initially came from my civilian doctor that Tripler AMC referred me to. My civilian doctor detailed my surgical procedures and what my limitations were due to the failed surgeries. MEB doctor was able to transcribe these doctors notes into my NARSUM and my military ophthalmologist did the same since he was the one who referred me to a civilian ophthalmologist. There was plenty of evidence in my medical records, both military and civilian, to justify the MEB action. It's true that my civilian doctor had no authority to authorize an MEB, let alone my profile restrictions and even convalescent leave, but with doctors notes, my PCM honored everything he wrote. Just make sure your civilian doctor can provide as much medical information as possible so the military providers understand your medical situation. Just my advice. It saved me probably months of unnecessary appointments and repeat visits to doctors who would ultimately have the same diagnosis'.