Question on conflicting diagnosis

CombatK9

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Hello everyone,
Little background, I have been in 9.5 years and have had 2 surgeries for herniated discs at L5-S1.
After about 10 months and multiple PCM's and multiple PEBLOS. My package has been sent to IPEB.

My question is which diagnosis will my rating go off of? My PEBLO says they will go off of both but that doesnt seem to make any sense.

My PCM diagnosed me with Lumbosacral neuritis with back condition status post spinal surgery X 2. When I look that up on VASRD my ROM equals 20% rating.

The VA diagnosed me with Intervertebral Disc Syndrom w/ Degenerative arthritis changes and most likely involved peripheral nerve is the femoral, external cutaneous nerve of thigh and sciatic nerve which affects the right side of the body. When I look up the rating on the Vasrd for this it equals 60% with being on bedrest for more than 6 weeks.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

The IPEB will only rate you on the one (or multiple if deemed accurate depending on who you ask) unfitting condition. They will "try" to follow the VASRD proposed ratings, but from what I've read, they differ frequently. So if your unfitting condition is 20 percent then at max that is all they have to rate you for DOD purposes. BUT that's not to say it couldn't be swayed in both directions even worse lets say of them saying 0-10 percent or going higher, generally the Higher rating would only equate if they could go higher in the rating for the said condition. My ROM is 14% for my Spine. I'm guessing I'll get 40% thru VA on this issue, but my "informal ratings" my shirt says he aqquired thru my PEBLO is 70% but they only had one number...so I dont know if this is VA or DOD. Again I'm guessing 40 from Air Force and 40 + other conditions from VA as spinal fusion is considered fixed which = favorable ankylosis "SOMEHOW". So we'll see.

Good Luck,
Klam

There are two possible ratings for back conditions- one is generally rated on ROM and the other is Intervertebral Disc Syndrome based on incapacitating episodes (based on bed rest). You will only be rated on one of these criteria. However, your post raises the issue of peripheral nerve involvement. This should likely be rated, too (and separately, if it is unfitting or contributes to your unfitness). It is very common for the military to "forget" to rate the peripheral nerve involvement.