Question on discharge upgrage / medical retirement

Was in the USMC from 1996 - 2003. I was discharged with personality disorder with no disability rating. I had numerous deployments (non combat) never once been in trouble that is until I had some personal drama then all changed. I went UA for a few weeks with no intentions of returning (suicide). I did however, get help and went back to my unit where I was discharged within a few months. Never had a medical review board but chaplain and psyc review stated best is to be discharged. So since my discharge and my last months of my military service was not good, I did not want to deal with the military or VA. Fast forward to 2018, I decided to file for VA disability and they gave me a rating of 70% for PTSD/MDD. After much reading, I seen they discharged many Veterans from 2001 to 2010 with personality disorder so no disability payments or medical retirement payments had to be given. Do I have a chance to change my personality discharge to a medical retirement? I know I can request to have it upgraded to an honorable just didn't know if the medical retirement was an option. Thanks for any help.

The path would be through an application for correction to military records. It might not be worth the trouble as far as payments are concerned.

You mentioned a desire to request an upgrade to an honorable discharge which is a good goal. Evidentially, you met the requirements for award of VA compensation: "Specific Benefit Program Character of Discharge Requirements. To receive VA compensation benefits and services, the Veteran's character of discharge or service must be under other than dishonorable conditions (e.g., honorable, under honorable conditions, general)."

Military retirees who receive VA compensation must waive (lose) retired pay dollar for dollar in the amount of VA compensation received. Many medical retirees waive their entire military disability pay for VA compensation. Based on your info, you would not be eligible for either CRDP or CRSC which will allow some or all the waived retired pay to be given back.
You can read about those programs at https://www.dfas.mil/retiredmilitary/disability/payment.html

Ron