Question on retirement orders after Med Board Decision

sbarq1

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I just received my retirement orders today 30Oct2019 with a retirement date of 15Nov2019. I was awarded 40% total from the Formal Board and the disposition was "permanent medical". I have 21 years 9 months guard and 6yrs 4 months of active duty service for retirement. My formal board paperwork shows that my disabilities were sustained in a combat zone or in combat related service but the retirement orders don't state that. Will I be able to get an immediate retirement check or will I have to wait until my retirement age? I'm having a hard time getting any info due to being guard but being outprocessed via active duty retirement due to injuries in the line of duty on active duty. Thanks for any information on what to expect.

I'm just stressed.
Thank you

I just received my retirement orders today 30Oct2019 with a retirement date of 15Nov2019. I was awarded 40% total from the Formal Board and the disposition was "permanent medical". I have 21 years 9 months guard and 6yrs 4 months of active duty service for retirement. My formal board paperwork shows that my disabilities were sustained in a combat zone or in combat related service but the retirement orders don't state that. Will I be able to get an immediate retirement check or will I have to wait until my retirement age? I'm having a hard time getting any info due to being guard but being outprocessed via active duty retirement due to injuries in the line of duty on active duty. Thanks for any information on what to expect.

I'm just stressed.
Thank you
Hello,

Your DoD disability retirement @ 40% will begin immediately. It will be reduced by the amount of VA compensation you receive which might leave you with zero retired pay. It depends on the percentage and amount of your VA compensation.

It appears you have 20 good years for reserve retirement That is not payable until you meet the age requirement for reserve retirement. Once you meet the age requirement and your reserve retirement is approved, you will be eligible for CRDP which will restore the longevity portion of the reduction/offset.

You might be eligible for CRSC. See THIS LINK <—-

Ron

I'm hoping someone sits down with my info and goes over this stuff. I understand I'm probably Hi 3 but I don't exactly understand how that works. Thanks for your help Ron.
Saint

CRSC seems like a ton of paperwork to be mailed in. Is this something that I would have to do on my own or is there someone that could help me file for it? VSO, medical personnel, VA office, etc?
Thanks for the info...
Saint

I'm hoping someone sits down with my info and goes over this stuff. I understand I'm probably Hi 3 but I don't exactly understand how that works. Thanks for your help Ron.
Saint
The high-36 method is the average of the highest 36 months of basic pay divided by 36. This is generally the last 3 years of service and is sometimes called high-3.

High-3 x 40% = your disability retired pay
your disability retired pay is reduced by the amount of VA compensation.
Example: 2000 retired pay minus 2100 VA compensation = zero retired pay
Another: 2200 retired pay minus 1900 VA comp = 300 retired pay you keep

Approved CRSC replaces some or all of the reduction/waiver mentioned above.
Active duty or active duty equivalent years is multiplied by 2.5% to determine the longevity multiplier.
Hi-3 x longevity multiplier = longevity portion of retired pay which is one of the ceilings.
The CRSC % amount and the actual amount of the reduction are two other ceilings.
One would receive CRSC at the lesser of the three.

Your reserve retirement (with CRDP restoring the longevity amount) does not apply until you meet the age requirement.

Reserve active duty equivalent = total points divided by 360

Ron

CRSC seems like a ton of paperwork to be mailed in. Is this something that I would have to do on my own or is there someone that could help me file for it? VSO, medical personnel, VA office, etc?
Thanks for the info...
Saint
Veterans Service Officers (VSO) can help with the application.

Ron

Hello,

Your DoD disability retirement @ 40% will begin immediately. It will be reduced by the amount of VA compensation you receive which might leave you with zero retired pay. It depends on the percentage and amount of your VA compensation.

It appears you have 20 good years for reserve retirement That is not payable until you meet the age requirement for reserve retirement. Once you meet the age requirement and your reserve retirement is approved, you will be eligible for CRDP which will restore the longevity portion of the reduction/offset.

You might be eligible for CRSC. See THIS LINK <—-

Ron
"It appears you have 20 good years for reserve retirement That is not payable until you meet the age requirement for reserve retirement. Once you meet the age requirement and your reserve retirement is approved, you will be eligible for CRDP which will restore the longevity portion of the reduction/offset."

Could you send me the regulation(s) that covers the above quoted information? Thank you.

Yes, I just returned home. It will take me a few minutes to gather the information.

Ron

Reserve retirement.

A member is generally not eligible for Reserve (non-regular) retired pay until they reach age 6o. However, any member of the Ready Reserve who is recalled to active duty or, in response to a national emergency, is called to certain active service after January 28, 2008, shall have the age 60 requirement reduced by 3 months for each cumulative period of 90 days so performed in any fiscal year after that date. LINK, Reserve Retirement <----

CRDP.

CRDP: LINK to DFAS info on CRDP <----
Note: "you are a disability retiree who earned entitlement to retired pay under any provision of law other than solely by disability, and you have a VA disability rating of 50 percent or greater. You might become eligible for CRDP at the time you would have become eligible for retired pay." [This includes meeting the age requirement for reserve retirement.]

Waiver of retired pay.

LINK to DFAS info on waiver of retired pay

Ron

Reserve retirement.

A member is generally not eligible for Reserve (non-regular) retired pay until they reach age 6o. However, any member of the Ready Reserve who is recalled to active duty or, in response to a national emergency, is called to certain active service after January 28, 2008, shall have the age 60 requirement reduced by 3 months for each cumulative period of 90 days so performed in any fiscal year after that date. LINK, Reserve Retirement <----

CRDP.

CRDP: LINK to DFAS info on CRDP <----
Note: "you are a disability retiree who earned entitlement to retired pay under any provision of law other than solely by disability, and you have a VA disability rating of 50 percent or greater. You might become eligible for CRDP at the time you would have become eligible for retired pay." [This includes meeting the age requirement for reserve retirement.]

Waiver of retired pay.

LINK to DFAS info on waiver of retired pay

Ron
Got it, thank you.

Good question.

Not the first time I have seen it.

Ron