Question on TDRL Re-Exam & VA C&P Exam Process?

jeremymays92

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I just received a phone call that I am being scheduled for a 2nd VA C&P Exam on February 22nd. Just 3 weeks ago I was re-evaluated for the 1st time by the Air Force since I was placed on TDRL. The Doctor told me their recommendation and that it was to remain at 100%, permanent retirement and that my condition had stabilized. The Air Force has not made their decision on my case on what they are going to do.

Back in December 2015, I requested a VA C&P exam to get my rating increased from 50% which was my initial rating at my time of discharge. The Doctor who did my evaluation noted where in the last C&P Exam, the VA mentioned me having "Total Occupational & Social Impairment", was supposed to be assigned a fiduciary for being incompetent to handle my finances. The Doctor was unsure why I was not permanently retired then. Even told me in her own words that I should seek legal counsel this time around if the USAF doesn't rule permanent this time. A picture is attached of an excerpt of my 1st C&P evaluation stating it.

Apparently the VA & Military exams are separate however, how is it that the Air Force got a hold of my 2015 Exam and bumped it up 10 100% when I had no contact with them? Went strictly with the VA for my rating to be increased in 2015. Something does not seem right. I was just evaluated by the Air Force and not sure why I am being re-evaluated so soon by the Air Force. All of my treatment has come with the VA. However, is there anything I should take to this appointment to help my case?

Is this normal procedure when on TDRL to be followed up by the VA just weeks after? I am very unfamiliar with the VA & TDRL processes. Just not sure what provoked a VA C&P evaluation.

Attachments

• VA Exam Document.jpg
    VA Exam Document.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 14
When you are TDRL, the DoD can re-exam and change your DoD percentage.

The VA will separately re-exam any conditions the VA does not consider permanent.

While in TDRL status the two processes are separtae from one another.

I'm still very confused how the Air Force got a hold of my 2015 VA C&P exam, used it to increase my rating with them. I requested it to be done for an increase with the VA but this time around, the VA has no idea I was just examined by the Air Force.

If the Air Force does ultimately go with the Doctor's findings to be placed on PDRL at 100%, is it likely my VA rating is going to drop despite those findings? If I understand correctly, the Air Force can put me on PDRL, the VA can still treat me as if I'm on TDRL with them for rating purposes? Maybe my interpretation is wrong of "Total Occupational & Social Impairment" and "Incompetent to handle financial affairs" but I thought that might have indicated permanent status with the VA.

I still don't understand if they are separate processes, why the Air Force used that VA exam in 2015 but the VA will not use an exam by the Air Force just performed 3 weeks ago. Does not make sense to me if they are separate why at one time it was okay to use the same exam but now it's not.

Last edited:
When you are TDRL, the DoD can re-exam and change your DoD percentage.

The VA will separately re-exam any conditions the VA does not consider permanent.

While in TDRL status the two processes are separtae from one another.
I have a phone TDRL reevaluation in a few days for depression/PTSD. I didn’t know they did that by phone. Does anyone know what I can expect?

It can be done by phone. It should follow the process when the VA rated you. The standard for disability percentage remains the same.

I have a phone TDRL reevaluation in a few days for depression/PTSD. I didn’t know they did that by phone. Does anyone know what I can expect?
I had a phone call re-eval last month with the army for PTSD and multiple other mental health conditions. It was basically a semi-structured conversation on how life has been since I retired. I was honest about successes and failures in work, school, and relationships. I maintained 70%, which was important since I have residual pay. The most important thing is I had documented continuity of care since leaving active duty. It was not just my word. Everything good and bad was documented in my VA file.

It can be done by phone. It should follow the process when the VA rated you. The standard for disability percentage remains the same.
Thanks
just to clarify the reevaluation is with the army, not the VA. So its about fitness rather than ratings, right?

Thanks

just to clarify the reevaluation is with the army, not the VA. So its about fitness rather than ratings, right?
It is the Army. They must decide fitness and provide your final rating.

Thanks

Fitness and DoD percentage.

If you get put out TDRL how many evaluations do you have before they find you PDRL?

It is the Army. They must decide fitness and provide your final rating.
Hi sorry to hijack the post but couldn't figure out how to dm you. I read somewhere you had recommendation for military lawyer.