Question regarding EPTS for OSA

seangay

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Hello, I'm currently active duty who is getting out within a year and just want to get my ducks in a row to make my process through the VA more streamlined. I was diagnosed with OSA and given a CPAP in December 2017 which is about in the middle of my Active duty contract. However during the interview the interviewing physician asked me if I had similar symptoms in the past. I did say I felt overly tired during high school. Now the notes on that visit includes the words "Patient reports that he has had EDS since high school, despite getting more than 7-8 hr of sleep/night, currently gets 8-9. Untreated OSA may be the cause--we will treat this first and work up for hypersomnia if residual sleepiness occurs." My question is do you think that this wording may lead the VA to say that my OSA existed prior to service and therefore is not ratable? No other documentation of medical history exists prior to active duty service. I'm hoping they don't take those words out of context and just assume I had sleep apnea from grade school.

chaplaincharlie

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
Excessive daytime sleepiness is only a symptom; not a diagnosis. OSA is a diagnosis.

chaplaincharlie

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
With the VA, if the evidence is equal that it EPTS or occured during AD service; the tie goes to the member. Lots of HS students are tired; it is part of growth.

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">