Question

domokun71

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Ok so I I have been watching a few people I know milk and game the system. So I figure I might as well game it myself. So I am a MSG(p) with 18 years TIS. I just want to know if I get 100%TDRL what am I looking at as final pay. I should get my retirement check and then disability correct. The doctors have told me i will be 100% and I will get the VA clothing allowance as well. Just trying to figure out if I would make more out than in. Thanks.

Ok so I I have been watching a few people I know milk and game the system. So I figure I might as well game it myself. So I am a MSG(p) with 18 years TIS.

OK, I am going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you used a poor choice of words. I appreciate Jason's work and this board, but the intention is not to help anyone "game" anything. Legitimate disabilities occurred in service deserve compensation as provided by law and tradition.

That being said, TDRL I believe is at 50% pay. Others will correct me if I am wrong.

Doctors cannot guarantee you a rating, or clothing allowance. The VA rates, and they take multiple factors into account. You can search TDRL for more information. DFAS also has a calculator for computing disability and retirement pay on their site. Best of luck.

Ok I wear a prostetic device on my lower leg. Have a few injuried severe but never treated. Tough guy thinking not smart guy thinking. Anyways for the alst few months I have been conducting appointments getting everything in the system for when I retire at 20. Will hit 18 years this month. I know there is no guarantee on the rating but looking at all the others at Center for Intrepid with the same disabilites I got a good idea(hopefully). I am combat related injury and the VA rep at CFI told me I get clothing allowance since i wear a prostetic. I have had 7 major bleeds on my brain from being blown up so I just got diagnosed with TBI, broke my back but never treated and broke my neck nbever treated. and lost a testicle too. Another question will it hurt me if I decide to MEB without ever having a profile. I have yet to have a profile and I have took and maxed every PT test given to me. My doctor in Ortho is the same one I had in San Antonio and he has been beating me up for years to give me a profile since I am slowly killing myself. So he was going to play along with me and give me a P2 if I wanted to stay and be a BN CSM, but right now me and the wife have decided to call it quits so he is going to P3 me and send me on my way. Didn't know if not having a profiel for so long would hurt me. I have my inujuried documented and have been treated still see pain management for a cocktail of gabo and oxycodone. They try and prescribe more since I am pending a higher amputation but I try and only take the bare minumum. any advice will help. Also I heard since I am selected to attend the academy they will put me out as a SGM, want to know if that is true

Ok I wear a prostetic device on my lower leg. Have a few injuried severe but never treated. Tough guy thinking not smart guy thinking. Anyways for the alst few months I have been conducting appointments getting everything in the system for when I retire at 20. Will hit 18 years this month. I know there is no guarantee on the rating but looking at all the others at Center for Intrepid with the same disabilites I got a good idea(hopefully). I am combat related injury and the VA rep at CFI told me I get clothing allowance since i wear a prostetic. I have had 7 major bleeds on my brain from being blown up so I just got diagnosed with TBI, broke my back but never treated and broke my neck nbever treated. and lost a testicle too. Another question will it hurt me if I decide to MEB without ever having a profile. I have yet to have a profile and I have took and maxed every PT test given to me. My doctor in Ortho is the same one I had in San Antonio and he has been beating me up for years to give me a profile since I am slowly killing myself. So he was going to play along with me and give me a P2 if I wanted to stay and be a BN CSM, but right now me and the wife have decided to call it quits so he is going to P3 me and send me on my way. Didn't know if not having a profiel for so long would hurt me. I have my inujuried documented and have been treated still see pain management for a cocktail of gabo and oxycodone. They try and prescribe more since I am pending a higher amputation but I try and only take the bare minumum. any advice will help. Also I heard since I am selected to attend the academy they will put me out as a SGM, want to know if that is true

I would tread lightly. With all those conditions, it would be more likely you will be PDRL'd and not TDRL'd. It is not up to your doctor to offer TDRL. And if this is the case, you may not reach your 20. Even with PTSD added, it will make you TDRL'd for only 6 months and then you are reeval'd. Hope this helps some.

I would tread lightly. With all those conditions, it would be more likely you will be PDRL'd and not TDRL'd. It is not up to your doctor to offer TDRL. And if this is the case, you may not reach your 20. Even with PTSD added, it will make you TDRL'd for only 6 months and then you are reeval'd. Hope this helps some.

They would be more likely to give you a perm profile for your last 2 years, than TDRL until retirement. A perm profile will deadlock you in your current rank until retirement, unfortuantly.

Also if you are pending surgery, an MEB cannot be intiated until after recovery.

Last edited:
Ok, lot's of information. Sorry to hear about all the troubles. I'll offer what I can, others know more.

Ok I wear a prostetic device on my lower leg.
If determined to be service connected, may qualify you for clothing allowance.
Have a few injuried severe but never treated. Tough guy thinking not smart guy thinking. Anyways for the alst few months I have been conducting appointments getting everything in the system for when I retire at 20. Will hit 18 years this month. I know there is no guarantee on the rating but looking at all the others at Center for Intrepid with the same disabilites I got a good idea(hopefully). I am combat related injury (make sure this is well-documented) and the VA rep at CFI told me I get clothing allowance since i wear a prostetic.

I have had 7 major bleeds on my brain from being blown up so I just got diagnosed with TBI, broke my back but never treated and broke my neck nbever treated. and lost a testicle too.
TBI is partly based on residual cognitive functioning - have you had any neuropsychological testing?
Another question will it hurt me if I decide to MEB without ever having a profile.
It may help.
I have yet to have a profile and I have took and maxed every PT test given to me. My doctor in Ortho is the same one I had in San Antonio and he has been beating me up for years to give me a profile since I am slowly killing myself. So he was going to play along with me and give me a P2 if I wanted to stay and be a BN CSM, but right now me and the wife have decided to call it quits so he is going to P3 me and send me on my way. Didn't know if not having a profiel for so long would hurt me.
I have my inujuried documented and have been treated still see pain management for a cocktail of gabo and oxycodone. They try and prescribe more since I am pending a higher amputation but I try and only take the bare minumum.
VA rates on loss of limb or loss of range of motion, not pain per se. It sounds like you should listen to your Ortho :)

any advice will help.
Also I heard since I am selected to attend the academy they will put me out as a SGM, want to know if that is true
This I don't know.

Have you been assessed for PTSD?

not assed for PTSD. A lot of my buddies got out with PTSD and are all unable tof ind work. They all told me never say anything related. as for the neuro psych yes had one done and they found significant loss of memory and other functions. They also state due to TBI I have complex partial seizures. They said they would P2 or if I want P3 me and that as long as I was over 18 1/2 years my retirement would be safe. If I did the P3 and initiated a MEB then I would have to do a COAD to stay on active duty until 20 then I would be seperated out retired plus my disability. Everything is my decision and that is making it harder to decide what to do. Since I am scheduled for the academy I must have a prifle to wear my leg. Regulation states you can't wear any type of brace during a PT Test unless you have a profile for it. So I am stuck right now and am forced to get my first profile. Up to this point all the doctors I have been able to just sit down and talk to them and tell them not to give me a profile due to it would limit my progression in the military and my assignments. So far so good. Except the doctors deployed who all tried to send me home due to the leg I wear. But i stayed and finished out another deployment. Would love to deploy again but we will see where if I stay the Army sends me with a profile. Probably will not get a CSM in a deploying unit with a P2 and that is why I am leaning on getting out. Just don't want to screw myself. I can put off the higher amputation which is also on my preference. So I can get the MEB started then go into the surgery or wait until i get out then get it. Not really in a rush to go thru that again. Everything is service conected and combat related. I have all MEDEVAC paperwork and treatment records from Landstuhl. Have plenty of statements of my combat history all 8 deployments. 4 iraq 4 to afghan. Kept great records.

They would be more likely to give you a perm profile for your last 2 years, than TDRL until retirement. A perm profile will deadlock you in your current rank until retirement, unfortuantly.

Also if you are pending surgery, an MEB cannot be intiated until after recovery.
so If I got deadlocked I would have to attend the SMA and then start my MEB after. My Dr is fine with changing my profile to fit my needs and basically says he will give me what I want since I am all jacked up and I never complain. funny coming from him since he never gives anyone profiles. Right now I am stuck between a rock and a hard place. Got to get a profile finally after 6 years all because i can't wear my leg during a pt test without having a profile for it.

You can be on a profile for a year before a board normally initiates.

Also it won't generate anything if you are on profile for different reasons. Say post-surgical, then a different issue, and so on.

You will not qualify to attend SMA being on a profile.

You will not qualify to attend SMA being on a profile.
That is not true in anyway, as long as it not a P3 or P4 a Service Member may attend. If the Service Member has a P2 or higher that suggests a disqualification from any part of the course, the school is to seek medical advice and recommendation from the Division Schools NCOIC.

I have seen it happen myself, a fellow NCO that had 2nd and 3rd degree burns on 90% of his body who chose to stay in and serve in the Army until he could no longer serve. The school held an evaluation and said he could attend. Morning of class enrollment, the MSG in charge of the school said he could not attend. With in 5 minutes of a phone call the CSM in charge came up and he was enrolled and the school was forced to cater to his needs. In the end of this, he graduated AND there was a change of policy that all of the instructors at schools that hadn't deployed were moved to deploying units and deployed.

Yes if you have a prosthetic and your injury is Service connected you will qualify for VA clothing allowance in which you will have to wait till next year to apply for (VA clothing allowance is paid every year in October-early November)

That is not true in anyway, as long as it not a P3 or P4 a Service Member may attend. If the Service Member has a P2 or higher that suggests a disqualification from any part of the course, the school is to seek medical advice and recommendation from the Division Schools NCOIC.

I have seen it happen myself, a fellow NCO that had 2nd and 3rd degree burns on 90% of his body who chose to stay in and serve in the Army until he could no longer serve. The school held an evaluation and said he could attend. Morning of class enrollment, the MSG in charge of the school said he could not attend. With in 5 minutes of a phone call the CSM in charge came up and he was enrolled and the school was forced to cater to his needs. In the end of this, he graduated AND there was a change of policy that all of the instructors at schools that hadn't deployed were moved to deploying units and deployed.

How long ago was that? Two years ago there is a mandatory physical put in place, due to monies being wasted for sending members there that were unable to perform all aspects of the school, e.g. PT daily, formation, marching, running, saluting, wearing the uniform.

It is a heck of a a lot more strict now.

Not being able to pass the medical clearance is how the military is deadlocking members in their rank due to this. Also his pending surgery alone would not allow him to go for about 6 months after.

Also, if you choose to have a MEB initiated- You will not be allowed to go TDY or PCS due to the code they will place on you.

Also, the member you mentioned above was CLEARED for full duty and staying in. Not going through a surgery or MEB, and not on profile.

Two very different cases.

Also, the member you mentioned above was CLEARED for full duty and staying in. Not going through a surgery or MEB, and not on profile.

Two very different cases.
He was on P3 across the board, he had very high respect from the top ranks Division wide. He fought to stay in, and the Army backed off. Yes this was about 2010ish, so yeah things may have changed. BUT, I still assume that if someone has a profile to conduct a walk on the APFT still are able to go as long as they can do everything else correct? Or is it that cut-throat now?

He was on P3 across the board, he had very high respect from the top ranks Division wide. He fought to stay in, and the Army backed off. Yes this was about 2010ish, so yeah things may have changed. BUT, I still assume that if someone has a profile to conduct a walk on the APFT still are able to go as long as they can do everything else correct? Or is it that cut-throat now?

Nope.

Need to be able to run at least 1 mile.
Stand at attention for 1 hour.
Hold a salute. (I forget how long)
Carry at least 50 lbs.

There are like 10 different items and all have to be cleared as yes, or you are in limbo until you can make them all yes.

So they say We can't demote you for medical reasons, but we can keep you there.

It's AWFUL. I've seen great NCO's who were stuck in ranks for years or for the rest of their careers due to a permanent profile because of this.

We used to conduct their physicals and members would say they felt like they were at MEPS again.

Last edited:
Doesn't the Military let one get recovered as much as possible before they do anything?

I spent a year or so recovering from my accident (half rehab half at home) before they sent me to WTU to start MEB

Nope. Need to be able to run at least 1 mile.
Wow, amazing... They aren't letting injured AD attend a class if they have an injury that occurred from combat??? Now that is wrong...

Wow, amazing... They aren't letting injured AD attend a class if they have an injury that occurred from combat??? Now that is wrong...

I couldn't go to the board to get my e5 because my injury wasn't combat related