Questions regarding flags

IBMWatson

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
For the group and I hope someone may know the answer. I have been going through my MEB since February of this year; however, I have been injured and on a no PT profile since January of 2020. Well, long story short, my unit got a new 1SG and Commander and they wanted to use their new found power and I was made to do a H/W/T and thus in turn I have been flagged. Now I know people are going to say "well you should have stayed in standard" blah blah; however, I have been on more than 10 different medications that cause loss of appetite and increase weight. I have also had several procedures that limit mobility and so forth. The basis of my question is, do I have a leg to stand on if I had the mental strength to fight this? I appreciate any feedback.

It sounds like you are wanting to stay in based on your posted. Unfortunately, the "newer" DOD policy instituted by Sec Mattis stated that all military members must be ready for worldwide military duty within 365 days or they have to get out of the service. This policy has some flexibility but it is rarely used to benefit the service member.

I know this isn't the news you were looking for, but I want to help you set realistic expectations. You need to prepare to get out of the service.

Read AR 600-9

c. The provisions of this paragraph are not applicable to medical conditions or injuries based solely on a prescribed reduction in physical activity. The inability to exercise does not directly cause weight gain. Health care personnel will advise Soldiers to modify caloric intake when reduced physical activity is necessary as part of a treatment plan

However you can get a memo from your commander stating you don't have to show progress while in the MEDBOARD process but if you return to duty you must be within the limits.

It sounds like you are wanting to stay in based on your posted. Unfortunately, the "newer" DOD policy instituted by Sec Mattis stated that all military members must be ready for worldwide military duty within 365 days or they have to get out of the service. This policy has some flexibility but it is rarely used to benefit the service member.

I know this isn't the news you were looking for, but I want to help you set realistic expectations. You need to prepare to get out of the service.
Ohh no, I apologize for the misunderstanding. I have already been found unfit and I sign my 199 tomorrow along with my PEBLO counseling. I am just wondering about the flag in general and if I should really worry about it and deal with it or just let it be what it is. The CPT and Chief I work for were on mission when this flag was placed (a week and a half ago), and they are p***ed that it happened and are fighting for and award and some other stuff. I have been in for 14 years and they are just saying they want me to get what I deserve.

Add - They got back from mission 3 days after the flag was placed.

Ohh no, I apologize for the misunderstanding. I have already been found unfit and I sign my 199 tomorrow along with my PEBLO counseling. I am just wondering about the flag in general and if I should really worry about it and deal with it or just let it be what it is. The CPT and Chief I work for were on mission when this flag was placed (a week and a half ago), and they are p***ed that it happened and are fighting for and award and some other stuff. I have been in for 14 years and they are just saying they want me to get what I deserve.

What is it you are concerned about and what do you want to fight? As Richey mentioned, there are provisions for waiver in some medical cases. If that applies to you, work with your doctors. The flag won’t prevent the processing of the PEB but it might prevent issuing an award. Since this is new, you haven’t failed the ABCP so there shouldn’t be any administrative action.

Talk to your doc. There are some legitimate medical conditions that make weight control impossible. If he/she concurs, your profile can be modified.

Hey boss, I’m a paralegal at Fort Sill and I get this sort of question from commanders all the time. I’m here to help. In accordance with AR 600-9, when you are enrolled into ABCP, you are required to get a medical eval. If said eval shows that you are gaining weight due to a medical issue, then the Army must wait until the issue is resolved OR start the medboard process. Also, if you fail ABCP, chapter is not required to be initiated. Either a bar to reenlistment or a chapter initiation is required. Obviously if you’re medboarding, a bar literally won’t affect you. Maybe have that conversation with your commander.

Hey boss, I’m a paralegal at Fort Sill and I get this sort of question from commanders all the time. I’m here to help. In accordance with AR 600-9, when you are enrolled into ABCP, you are required to get a medical eval. If said eval shows that you are gaining weight due to a medical issue, then the Army must wait until the issue is resolved OR start the medboard process. Also, if you fail ABCP, chapter is not required to be initiated. Either a bar to reenlistment or a chapter initiation is required. Obviously if you’re medboarding, a bar literally won’t affect you. Maybe have that conversation with your commander.
Also, I’ll add that ABCP chapters are literally the hardest chapter the units do because the paperwork 9 times out of 10 is messed up

Talk to your doc. There are some legitimate medical conditions that make weight control impossible. If he/she concurs, your profile can be modified.
I'm actually in the same boat here. My only conditions that I've been referred to the IDES process for are endocrine disorders - Addison's Disease and Hypopitutarism, but I'm currently flagged for ht/wt. Is there actually a way to get a profile for this? I'm trying to COAD, which will automatically exempt me from AR 600-9, but in the mean time, I'm tired of being flagged and treated like a shitbag in my unit. Is there really a way to get this covered under a profile? AR 600-9 states that an exemption wont be done on a profile form, but it also is only mentioned in reference to a temporary medical condition.

I'm actually in the same boat here. My only conditions that I've been referred to the IDES process for are endocrine disorders - Addison's Disease and Hypopitutarism, but I'm currently flagged for ht/wt. Is there actually a way to get a profile for this? I'm trying to COAD, which will automatically exempt me from AR 600-9, but in the mean time, I'm tired of being flagged and treated like a shitbag in my unit. Is there really a way to get this covered under a profile? AR 600-9 states that an exemption wont be done on a profile form, but it also is only mentioned in reference to a temporary medical condition.
I am not familiar with the USA process, but it sounds like your condition might be eligible for a waiver. Consult your free PEB counsel on the process.