Rank reconsideration, drill weekend questions

I was referred to the DAWG in March of 2018. I don't have time to explain my full situation early on but in a nutshell my Med Group dropped the ball and didn't submit my package to the IDES system until March of 2019. I provided all documentation when asked and had 3 different doctors diagnose me with PTSD, severe anxiety, and depression with mood disorder stemming from my deployment in 2016. My package seemed to be going fairly smooth and I got a 80% VA decision in August 2019 and have been getting paid since October (I'm guard technician). My AF 356 came back 70% Dec of 2019, unfit and place on TDRL. One of the issues I'm facing is I was demoted from SSgt to SrA for PT failure when my MEB was processing. My AF 356 came back complete except for the rank block. AFPC told me that it's mandatory to evaluate which rank I'm entitled to. I don't care because I'll be receiving a civilian retirement. The reconsideration has been at SECAF for 5 weeks with no timeline on when I'll get my orders so I'm still technically obligated to PT test next month even though they have deemed me unfit for military duty and also forcing me to attend drill weekends which offsets my VA pay so I'm basically going to drill for no pay and I do not need points. Does anyone have any experience with the rank consideration or where it states in a reg that you are required to attend drills being stuck in this gray area? I have scoured all the regs I know of and cant find a definitive answer for either side of the argument. I'm already on a 12 month enlistment extension that ends in May and feel like this is taking much longer and is being made more complicated than it should.

Have you consulted the OAC?
1582299351093.png
They may be able to help you waive the rank reconsideration.

Lots going on here. I will keep my situation focused on your current issues. While not common, they can require you to still come to drill, you technically don't have to go. You will get an unexcused absence and could potentially get a bad year, but as you are medically retiring it really doesn't matter. I personally would continue to go to drill just so you don't complicate an already complicated process. According to AFI 36-2502, para 9.4.1, your commander can't demote you further until you have 5 or more unexcused absences. That sounds like you could make it all the way until your May ETS without drilling again.

When they start to brief you for your PT test, say you don't feel up to test and report to the med clinic. When there, say that this PT test is causing you anxiety and you have already been diagnosed with PTSD. They should put you on a code 31 to stop you from having to do any more PT tests. Honestly, if you are found unfit for duty, you should be code 37 and shouldn't be doing it anyway. Are you on a physical profile? In the Air Force it is an AF Form 469. You can look it up on the IMR website on the portal.

If you are not on a PT profile, doing what you just did should at a minimum postpone your PT until the following drill so you have more time to have this process work itself out.

I couldn't find anything on the rank consideration.

Lots going on here. I will keep my situation focused on your current issues. While not common, they can require you to still come to drill, you technically don't have to go. You will get an unexcused absence and could potentially get a bad year, but as you are medically retiring it really doesn't matter. I personally would continue to go to drill just so you don't complicate an already complicated process. According to AFI 36-2502, para 9.4.1, your commander can't demote you further until you have 5 or more unexcused absences. That sounds like you could make it all the way until your May ETS without drilling again.

When they start to brief you for your PT test, say you don't feel up to test and report to the med clinic. When there, say that this PT test is causing you anxiety and you have already been diagnosed with PTSD. They should put you on a code 31 to stop you from having to do any more PT tests. Honestly, if you are found unfit for duty, you should be code 37 and shouldn't be doing it anyway. Are you on a physical profile? In the Air Force it is an AF Form 469. You can look it up on the IMR website on the portal.

If you are not on a PT profile, doing what you just did should at a minimum postpone your PT until the following drill so you have more time to have this process work itself out.

Thanks for the info. I’m not concerned about being demoted. He was going to non retain me anyways but the MEB trumps that. I just don’t want to attend drill because I won’t get paid and I don’t need points. I don’t care about retiring at a lower rank because I have less than 20 years and so I would waive military retirement for my VA benefits. The whole thing is puzzling I know the commander has the authority to excuse me from drill since I have an unfit determination but my supervisor said he didn’t feel it was fair that I didn’t show up but others had to. The problem with is they’re getting paid.

Your military rank doesn't really matter, your VA money would be more than your Guard retirement and your technician retirement would be a 60/40 as long as have 18 months as a technician and that doesn't have anything to do with your military rank either.

You can technically get paid for your drill and get your VA money but just not for the same days. So say your VA money is 1500 and there is 30 days in the month each day you would get $50 from the VA. So if you choose to waive your VA for those 2 days a month for drill you would get your drill check in full and they will reduce your VA the following year by 100 a month for the days you were at drill. The VA will send you a letter each year and you would normally choose to waive the VA for the number of days that you drilled.

If you are in the MEB they should of put a code 37 on you and with a code 37 any admirative actions could only be processed after your MEB. If you can't PT test you should get your Dr to write up why you can't work out and then your unit will put a 469 in your record. You will still have to do he waste measurement( Only exceptions I've seen are Surgery and pregnancy)

Your military rank doesn't really matter, your VA money would be more than your Guard retirement and your technician retirement would be a 60/40 as long as have 18 months as a technician and that doesn't have anything to do with your military rank either.

You can technically get paid for your drill and get your VA money but just not for the same days. So say your VA money is 1500 and there is 30 days in the month each day you would get $50 from the VA. So if you choose to waive your VA for those 2 days a month for drill you would get your drill check in full and they will reduce your VA the following year by 100 a month for the days you were at drill. The VA will send you a letter each year and you would normally choose to waive the VA for the number of days that you drilled.

If you are in the MEB they should of put a code 37 on you and with a code 37 any admirative actions could only be processed after your MEB. If you can't PT test you should get your Dr to write up why you can't work out and then your unit will put a 469 in your record. You will still have to do he waste measurement( Only exceptions I've seen are Surgery and pregnancy)
That's my point. I don't care about rank but I was told I don't have a choice that the SECAF automatically does it. I have a code 37 on my 469. My MEB is complete I even have my AF 356 that says I'm unfit and being placed on TDRL 70% but because there is a rank dispute I cant get orders until they resolve it. I'm just very confused why something so trivial is holding up progress. I signed my 1180 on Dec 18th requesting a separation date of January 3rd.

I'm not concerned with the PT test. I'm going to walk in tape and refuse the rest. It's the fact that I have to do it over drill weekend and have no reason to be there.

- 3 different doctors diagnose me with PTSD, severe anxiety, and depression with mood disorder stemming from my deployment in 2016.-

The only thing the Rank determination could effect is if you are eligible for CRSC that payment would be determined by your rank and number of years of serve. You would have to apply for CRSC after you get out and that would be in addition to the other money you would be getting.

I haven't because I was told by AFPC it would only take 2 weeks but my PEBLO told me the other day that a guy submitted his back in August and still hasn't heard back. I may have to consult them.
Looks like the situation dictates plan B.

I'm not concerned with the PT test. I'm going to walk in tape and refuse the rest. It's the fact that I have to do it over drill weekend and have no reason to be there.
I think that is a risky strategy.