Rating system

jellis23

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
I need help understanding how this works, for the VA in order to be medically retired you need 30%? What happens if you don't get 30%? Do I still get discharged? Do I still get my GI bill/ 9/11 bill? A little back story, I was diagnosed with Schizoaffective disorder-depression type. Any help would be appreciated!

I need help understanding how this works, for the VA in order to be medically retired you need 30%? What happens if you don't get 30%? Do I still get discharged? Do I still get my GI bill/ 9/11 bill? A little back story, I was diagnosed with Schizoaffective disorder-depression type. Any help would be appreciated!

How many years in service do you have?

How long have you been in mental health treatment?

For mental health the ratings are 0/10/30/50/70/100 so it is very unlikely that you will get 0 or 10 otherwise why would they need to get rid of you?

I almost have 3 years in but I have been seeing mental health for almost 2 years. Im mostly just curious about the GI bill because Im not sure what il do if I don't get that....

One thing you will need to watch out for and consider.

If you were to get a 30% rating, your overall statement would be

Occupational and social impairment with occasional decrease in work efficiency and intermittent periods of inability to perform occupational tasks (although generally functioning satisfactorily

If you were to get 50% rating, your overall statement would be

Occupational and social impairment with reduced reliability and productivity

The 70% rating is:

Occupational and social impairment, with deficiencies in most areas, such as work, school, family relations, judgment, thinking, or mood, due to such symptoms

If you were to get retired at 30% with your GI Bill with the intention to attend school, you might be building the case against yourself for continued benefits. Its hard to say you suffer from a mental health condition that prevents you from being successful in the world, and then go out into the world and be successful at school.

Keep in mine, I'm being retired for a mental health disorder, so these are things my treatment team and I have discussed, mainly about me getting healthy enough to get my PhD and return to my teaching career.