Ratings and Recommendations, need advice

heathro1281

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I was called by my PEBLO and notified of my ratings :

Keep in mind, my enlistment that I am on will get me to 20 years of service on 19 Sep 2020 with an ETS of 30 Sep 2020. I have not signed for a 20 year retirement date yet.

70% military disability with combat related injuries. 100% VA rated disabled. _ Recommend Permanent Retirement
Now I have to decide in writing on Monday on three options :
A) I want to accept everything , and set a retirement date
B) Not accept the Retirement Recommendation and fight to serve until my ETS and get full military retirement
C) Not accept the ratings and request re-evaluation

I pretty much want to do either or both of options B & C, but the combat related injuries changes things because I can apply to receive all my pay through the combat related compensation program - but it is an APPLICATION and not guaranteed.
Fighting for 20 years will guarantee I can receive both my retirement pay and VA pay .
Fighting the low rating (I didn't get as high as I thought for migraines I got rated 30% instead of 50% - and I am worried they duplicated some of my other ratings which could lower me below 100% in the future) will take months and make it easier to make it to 20 years - but comes along with the small chance my 100% VA gets lowered.

I know it must seem like I am worrying over small potatoes when I have the safety net of 100% VA, but its almost $2000 a month more if I make it 20 years or can get accepted in the CRSC (combat related special compensation) program.

Any advice out there from the Arm Chair Quarterbacks? I called the OAC today and left a message, I am awaiting their guidance also.

My PEBLO said he would normally give me advice, but in my case of having the possibility of being accepted for CRSC vs trying to fight for a full 20 year retirement - he is conflicted and unsure of the benefits of getting out now and applying for CRSC.

I'm in the same boat, my package is at SECAF as of 5 Aug 19. My only option left after SECAF is a limited assignment status application. I too do not know if it is smart to risk VA possibly lowering ratings if LAS is approved that will enable me to make it 20 years. I am hoping my package remains with SECAF before being kicked back. Let me know if I can help.

Keep in mind, my enlistment that I am on will get me to 20 years of service on 19 Sep 2020 with an ETS of 30 Sep 2020. I have not signed for a 20 year retirement date yet.

70% military disability with combat related injuries. 100% VA rated disabled. _ Recommend Permanent Retirement
B) Not accept the Retirement Recommendation and fight to serve until my ETS and get full military retirement

I pretty much want to do either or both of options B & C, but the combat related injuries changes things because I can apply to receive all my pay through the combat related compensation program - but it is an APPLICATION and not guaranteed.
Fighting for 20 years will guarantee I can receive both my retirement pay and VA pay .
Fighting the low rating (I didn't get as high as I thought for migraines I got rated 30% instead of 50% - and I am worried they duplicated some of my other ratings which could lower me below 100% in the future) will take months and make it easier to make it to 20 years - but comes along with the small chance my 100% VA gets lowered.

I know it must seem like I am worrying over small potatoes when I have the safety net of 100% VA, but its almost $2000 a month more if I make it 20 years or can get accepted in the CRSC (combat related special compensation) program.

Any advice out there from the Arm Chair Quarterbacks? I called the OAC today and left a message, I am awaiting their guidance also.

My PEBLO said he would normally give me advice, but in my case of having the possibility of being accepted for CRSC vs trying to fight for a full 20 year retirement - he is conflicted and unsure of the benefits of getting out now and applying for CRSC.

That is definitely a pickle my friend. I love this site and these people but you need to seriously get a lawyer to talk through this stuff. The owner of this site has a couple options that can help you. He does a by hour charge where he can look over your package and offer his opinion, or he can completely represent you in front of the FPEB as your attorney.

My opinion is pay the $250-$500 to get his professional opinion on the best coarse of action. Even if he has to represent you, the cost of his fee would be absorbed in 5 months of that extra $2k a month potential you would get for the rest of your life. Feel free to look up other counsel to represent you, including the OAC, but there is a reason people use Jason so much...

Jason Perry
1-800-576-5648
[email protected]

My advice is to appeal something to get to 20Y. You are then eligible for CRDP, CRSC is not automatic and only restores medical retirement pay offset from VA, it’s limited to your LOS pay so only benefit is tax related.

ETS is out of question because your enlistment will get extended until ratings are complete. Once you accept you will be out in 90 days or less.

If migraines is unfitting, ask for a VARR to increase to 50%, take every single bit of time you can during process. USAF is very data driven, they will do there best to ensure you do not hit 20Y.

Does the VARR only reconsider unfitting conditions? Because if that is the case then I probably do want to chase a VARR for my Migraines, they were rated at 30%, I have medical documentation in my files and the VA rating description that should recommend 50% based on multiple prostrating attacks a month.