Received my DA 199 today finally!

JRod79

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
So I received my 199 and I am 100/100 PDRL (Combat related) now my questions are (and please pardon my lack of knowing)

- do I qualify for CRDP and CRSC and the totals?
- how do I determine my retirement pay as a reservist
- how do I figure I my High-3

again please excuse my not knowing, I am just filled with mixed emotions since this retirement leaves a bittersweet effect after spending 22 years between the USMC, US Army and Army Reserves

Hello @JRod79 ,

Your questions:
100/100 PDRL (Combat related) now my questions are (and please pardon my lack of knowing)

Answers while considering the limited info available:
1. High three average base pay is the total of the highest 36 months base pay divided by 36.

2. Eligibility for CRDP is at: Defense Finance and Accounting Service > RetiredMilitary > disability > crdp <---LINK
Eligibility
You must be eligible for retired pay to qualify for CRDP. If you were placed on a disability retirement, but would be eligible for military retired pay in the absence of the disability, you may be entitled to receive CRDP.

Under these rules, you may be entitled to CRDP if…

• you are a regular retiree with a VA disability rating of 50 percent or greater.
  • you are a reserve retiree with 20 qualifying years of service, who has a VA disability rating of 50 percent or greater and who has reached retirement age. (In most cases the retirement age for reservists is 60, but certain reserve retirees may be eligible before they turn 60. If you are a member of the Ready Reserve, your retirement age can be reduced below age 60 by three months for each 90 days of active service you have performed during a fiscal year.)
  • you are retired under Temporary Early Retirement Act (TERA) and have a VA disability rating of 50 percent or greater.
  • you are a disability retiree who earned entitlement to retired pay under any provision of law other than solely by disability, and you have a VA disability rating of 50 percent or greater. You might become eligible for CRDP at the time you would have become eligible for retired pay.
3. A collection of CRSC information is at: A Supplement to CRSC Information <---LINK

4. Your retired pay as a reservist with a disability retirement (aka Chapter 61):
--High three average base pay multiplied by the higher of the DoD disability percentage (75% is the max) OR the longevity multiplier which is (active duty equivalent years and months x 2.5%)
--Your retired pay will be reduced dollar for dollar in the amount of VA compensation received.
--CRDP (if eligible) will restore the longevity portion of the retired pay. CRSC, if eligible, will replace the reduced retired pay up to the dollar amount of the longevity portion of retired pay.
--Added info-- If you qualified for a reserve retirement (20 good years and meet the age requirement), separate from the disability retirement:
a. You can apply for the reserve retirement as you near the age requirement.
b. The computation would be as discussed above. CRDP, if qualified would restore the longevity portion of retired pay. The combination of residual retired pay (left over from the VA offset/reduction) and CRDP could not exceed the longevity portion of retired pay.

Ron

Last edited:
Hello @JRod79 ,

You might be interested in reading the DFAS discussion about retired pay computations at:
Defense Finance and Accounting Service > RetiredMilitary > plan > estimate <---LINK

Disability retirements: Defense Finance and Accounting Service > RetiredMilitary > disability > disability <---LINK

DoD Compensation and Benefits Handbook
Compensation and Benefits <---LINK

Understanding the VA Waiver and Retired Pay/CRDP/CRSC Adjustments

Defense Finance and Accounting Service > RetiredMilitary > disability > VA Waiver and Retired Pay--CRDP--CRSC <---LINK

Ron

@JRod79

I infer that at some point you might need assistance in computing your CRSC and/or CRDP.

Here is a list of information that is needed.

CRSC Estimate (can be used for CRDP as well for those eligible)

The following is needed for someone to compute your CRSC in the PEB forum:
Needed within one reply:
1.--Average high three for basic pay (total of the highest 36 months of pay divided by 36) As an alternative (and better) cite the gross retired pay on the most recent DFAS RAS. Indicate which you are furnishing.
2.--DoD disability percentage
3. --Active duty years and months (or active duty equivalent for RC members; AD for reserve retirements is the total creditable points for retirement divided by 360. RC retirement also requires 20 good years.
4. --VA compensation
percentage;
amount;
dependents by category;
and ages of dependent children.
Also provide information pertaining to any SMCs you receive.

5.--Projected or approved CRSC percentage by your service.
6.--Whether you qualify for another type retirement and whether you transitioned to the blended retirement system
7.--Did you receive a REDUX/CSB payment?
8.--Did you accept the Blended Retirement program option?
9.--Do you have 20 good years for Reserve Retirement?

Ron

Hello @JRod79 ,

Your questions:
100/100 PDRL (Combat related) now my questions are (and please pardon my lack of knowing)

Answers while considering the limited info available:
1. High three average base pay is the total of the highest 36 months base pay divided by 36.

2. Eligibility for CRDP is at: Defense Finance and Accounting Service > RetiredMilitary > disability > crdp <---LINK
Eligibility
You must be eligible for retired pay to qualify for CRDP. If you were placed on a disability retirement, but would be eligible for military retired pay in the absence of the disability, you may be entitled to receive CRDP.

Under these rules, you may be entitled to CRDP if…

• you are a regular retiree with a VA disability rating of 50 percent or greater.
  • you are a reserve retiree with 20 qualifying years of service, who has a VA disability rating of 50 percent or greater and who has reached retirement age. (In most cases the retirement age for reservists is 60, but certain reserve retirees may be eligible before they turn 60. If you are a member of the Ready Reserve, your retirement age can be reduced below age 60 by three months for each 90 days of active service you have performed during a fiscal year.)
  • you are retired under Temporary Early Retirement Act (TERA) and have a VA disability rating of 50 percent or greater.
  • you are a disability retiree who earned entitlement to retired pay under any provision of law other than solely by disability, and you have a VA disability rating of 50 percent or greater. You might become eligible for CRDP at the time you would have become eligible for retired pay.
3. A collection of CRSC information is at: A Supplement to CRSC Information <---LINK

4. Your retired pay as a reservist with a disability retirement (aka Chapter 61):
--High three average base pay multiplied by the higher of the DoD disability percentage (75% is the max) OR the longevity multiplier which is (active duty equivalent years and months x 2.5%)
--Your retired pay will be reduced dollar for dollar in the amount of VA compensation received.
--CRDP (if eligible) will restore the longevity portion of the retired pay. CRSC, if eligible, will replace the reduced retired pay up to the dollar amount of the longevity portion of retired pay.
--Added info-- If you qualified for a reserve retirement (20 good years and meet the age requirement), separate from the disability retirement:
a. You can apply for the reserve retirement as you near the age requirement.
b. The computation would be as discussed above. CRDP, if qualified would restore the longevity portion of retired pay. The combination of residual retired pay (left over from the VA offset/reduction) and CRDP could not exceed the longevity portion of retired pay.

Ron
Ok Ron, here goes:

- Average of high 3: $4171
- 100% VA (SMC-S)
- 100% DOD
- 16 years AD; 6 yrs TPU
- 20 year letter in possession
- E6
- 4 Deployments (DA 199 states injury is combat related)
- 22 Total Years

hope I didn’t miss anything

Ok Ron, here goes:

- Average of high 3: $4171
- 100% VA (SMC-S)
- 100% DOD
- 16 years AD; 6 yrs TPU
- 20 year letter in possession
- E6
- 4 Deployments (DA 199 states injury is combat related)
- 22 Total Years

hope I didn’t miss anything
1.--Average high three for basic pay OK
2.--DoD disability percentage OK
3. --Active duty years and months (or active duty equivalent for RC members; AD for reserve retirements is the total creditable points for retirement divided by 360. RC retirement also requires 20 good years. Your active duty equivalent is needed
4. --VA compensation the following is missing: amount needed
percentage; replaced by SMC-S
amount;
dependents by category; needed
Also provide information pertaining to any SMCs you receive. Need dependent info for SMC-S
dependents by category;

5.--Projected or approved CRSC percentage by your service. missing--CRSC is approved through a separate application
6.--Whether you qualify for another type retirement and whether you transitioned to the blended retirement system
8.--Did you accept the Blended Retirement program option? need answer
9.--Do you have 20 good years for Reserve Retirement? OK

I will check back this afternoon.

Ron

1.--Average high three for basic pay OK
2.--DoD disability percentage OK
3. --Active duty years and months (or active duty equivalent for RC members; AD for reserve retirements is the total creditable points for retirement divided by 360. RC retirement also requires 20 good years. Your active duty equivalent is needed
4. --VA compensation the following is missing: amount needed
percentage; replaced by SMC-S
amount;
dependents by category; needed
Also provide information pertaining to any SMCs you receive. Need dependent info for SMC-S
dependents by category;

5.--Projected or approved CRSC percentage by your service. missing--CRSC is approved through a separate application
8.--Did you accept the Blended Retirement program option? need answer
9.--Do you have 20 good years for Reserve Retirement? OK

I will check back this afternoon.

Ron
- 21 Good Years (RC)
- 15.7 Years AD
- VA Amount: $3697.28
- 1 spouse
- CRSC (No info currently)
- No REDUX taken
- Did not accept BRS
- I do have 21 Good years with 20-year letter

Hello @JRod79 ,

Case.
--$4171 high three
- 100% DoD
- 21 Good Years (RC)
- 15.7 Years AD
- 1 spouse
- No REDUX taken
- Did not accept BRS

Estimate using your info.

1. 4171 x 75= 3128.25 DoD Retired Pay as CH 61 retiree
2. 3128.25 minus 3697.28 = zero retired pay remaining
3. 15.7 AD years (note: .7 is NOT 7 months; it is 7/12ths) x 2.5% = 39.25 % longevity multiplier
4. 4171 x 39.25% = 1637.12 longevity portion of retired pay
Note: If you have not met the age requirement for RC retirement, you would receive zero retired pay; zero CRDP and 3697.28 VA compensation.
You could receive CRSC not to exceed the longevity portion of retired pay, which is 1637.12 based on the limited information available. The rate of CRSC approved by your service will have a bearing on the amount. You would receive CRSC that is the lesser of 1637.12 (longevity) or the amount found in the VA compensation tables for the approved percentage.

5. If you have met the age requirement for RC retirement or when you do achieve that age, you would receive CRDP in the amount of 1637.12 and VA compensation of 3697.28.
You could choose the CRDP of 1637.12 or choose CRSC not to exceed the longevity portion of retired pay, which is 1637.12 based on the limited information available. The rate of CRSC approved by your service will have a bearing on the amount. You would receive CRSC that is the lesser of 1637.12 (longevity) or the amount found in the VA compensation tables for the approved percentage. In many cases the CRDP is a better choice than the non-taxable CRSC.

The computation above is based on information provided by you.

Good luck,
Ron

Hello @JRod79 ,

Case.
--$4171 high three
- 100% DoD
- 21 Good Years (RC)
- 15.7 Years AD
- 1 spouse
- No REDUX taken
- Did not accept BRS

Estimate using your info.

1. 4171 x 75= 3128.25 DoD Retired Pay as CH 61 retiree
2. 3128.25 minus 3697.28 = zero retired pay remaining
3. 15.7 AD years (note: .7 is NOT 7 months; it is 7/12ths) x 2.5% = 39.25 % longevity multiplier
4. 4171 x 39.25% = 1637.12 longevity portion of retired pay
Note: If you have not met the age requirement for RC retirement, you would receive zero retired pay; zero CRDP and 3697.28 VA compensation.
You could receive CRSC not to exceed the longevity portion of retired pay, which is 1637.12 based on the limited information available. The rate of CRSC approved by your service will have a bearing on the amount. You would receive CRSC that is the lesser of 1637.12 (longevity) or the amount found in the VA compensation tables for the approved percentage.

5. If you have met the age requirement for RC retirement or when you do achieve that age, you would receive CRDP in the amount of 1637.12 and VA compensation of 3697.28.
You could choose the CRDP of 1637.12 or choose CRSC not to exceed the longevity portion of retired pay, which is 1637.12 based on the limited information available. The rate of CRSC approved by your service will have a bearing on the amount. You would receive CRSC that is the lesser of 1637.12 (longevity) or the amount found in the VA compensation tables for the approved percentage. In many cases the CRDP is a better choice than the non-taxable CRSC.

The computation above is based on information provided by you.

Good luck,
Ron
Thank you as always sir

Thank you. You are invited to return once you receive your CRSC approval or before if you choose.

Ron