receiving VA disability compensation and DOD retirement

Marshal

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I was recently medically discharged and today I received my first DOD retirement payment. I also received my VA disability payment. I know I am not supposed to receive both, but I am not sure who to talk to or what to do to get it fixed. I am sure if I do nothing and just keep collecting the payment it will come out of my taxes next year or they will hit me with an overpayment and I wont get anything until the overpayment is corrected.

Who do I talk to for this issue to be resolved? I tried calling the VA and they wouldn't answer the phone. the automated response was "due to heavy call volume our agents are unable to assist you. please try your call again later."

I was recently medically discharged and today I received my first DOD retirement payment. I also received my VA disability payment. I know I am not supposed to receive both, but I am not sure who to talk to or what to do to get it fixed. I am sure if I do nothing and just keep collecting the payment it will come out of my taxes next year or they will hit me with an overpayment and I wont get anything until the overpayment is corrected.

Who do I talk to for this issue to be resolved? I tried calling the VA and they wouldn't answer the phone. the automated response was "due to heavy call volume our agents are unable to assist you. please try your call again later."

Have you contacted DFAS?

Have you looked on your MyPay account to get a copy of your upcoming payments for this week?

DFAS is less than helpful. I have checked mypay and the LES is not posted yet.

Were they both full checks? DFAS is supposed to tell the VA how much they are paying for retirement monies. Then once the VA gets the claim done they pay you their max and tell DFAS about it. DFAS then reduces payments by the VA amount, usually to 0, but not always. Then the VA backpays you any difference.

I'd put the money in savings that appears incorrect and wait a month to see if the systems start talking. If next months payments still appear incorrect, then I'd start bugging them.

I had about two months of full payments from both.... then the system caught up... and the DoD recouped the over payments...

I sent a message using the iris system, should hear back in about a week. thanks for the input, I opted for the DOD disability retirement because my guard retirement pay was about double what my va rating would have paid out, plus its combat related so still tax free.

I had about two months of full payments from both.... then the system caught up... and the DoD recouped the over payments...

when they recouped the over payment, how long did they take? did they spread it out over several months?

when they recouped the over payment, how long did they take? did they spread it out over several months?
they did it over a full year