Recent meeting with MSC

pixiepie512

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Hello all,

I am new to the forum, although I have been lurking for a little while. A med board was recently initiated for me.
I had my initial meeting with the MSC the other day (the meeting where you are supposed to list all conditions you want the VA to check). One of the conditions is "anxiety," which is very clearly documented in my service record.
After the meeting, I realized that while I listed anxiety on the form, there are other conditions that I suffer from that are related to anxiety that may be compensible (difficulty swallowing and hair loss for example, even mild depression).
My question is, when I have my C&P exam regarding the anxiety, will I be able to mention those conditions as related to anxiety and will the doctor then consider them separately? Or should I be taking steps now to contact my MSC and ask for them to be specifically added to the list as separate items?

Any help that can be offered would be much appreciated!
Thank you

Hello all,

I am new to the forum, although I have been lurking for a little while. A med board was recently initiated for me.
I had my initial meeting with the MSC the other day (the meeting where you are supposed to list all conditions you want the VA to check). One of the conditions is "anxiety," which is very clearly documented in my service record.
After the meeting, I realized that while I listed anxiety on the form, there are other conditions that I suffer from that are related to anxiety that may be compensible (difficulty swallowing and hair loss for example, even mild depression).
My question is, when I have my C&P exam regarding the anxiety, will I be able to mention those conditions as related to anxiety and will the doctor then consider them separately? Or should I be taking steps now to contact my MSC and ask for them to be specifically added to the list as separate items?

Any help that can be offered would be much appreciated!
Thank you
Welcome to the PEB Forum! :)

In my opinion, I would suggest that you immediately contact your MSC then ask if it's not too late to include additional medical conditions onto the VA Form.

From my previous experiences when in the DoD IDES process, the MSC didn't like to revise the aforementioned VA Form once it's been officially processed albeit it's a good idea to always ask anyway at this still early stage within the MEB phase.

Otherwise, as an alternative solution, you can always mention the associated medical conditions/symptomologies at the DoVA C&P examination(s) while the DoVA C&P examination clinician may or may not include them in the C&P examination results.

As such, if you are not successful then you can always submit a new DoVA disability claim upon the completion of the DoD IDES process, but please do so within one year of becoming a military disabled veteran so that "military service-connection" is automatically assumed. Then, obtaining any DoVA disability rating percentage by the DoVA D-RAS shall be based upon all available medical evidence/documentation showing symptomology in support of the 38 CFR VASRD criteria. Take care! :cool:

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer!"

Best Wishes!

Welcome to the PEB Forum! :)

In my opinion, I would suggest that you immediately contact your MSC then ask if it's not too late to include additional medical conditions onto the VA Form.

From my previous experiences when in the DoD IDES process, the MSC didn't like to revise the aforementioned VA Form once it's been officially processed albeit it's a good idea to always ask anyway at this still early stage within the MEB phase.

Otherwise, as an alternative solution, you can always mention the associated medical conditions/symptomologies at the DoVA C&P examination(s) while the DoVA C&P examination clinician may or may not include them in the C&P examination results.

As such, if you are not successful then you can always submit a new DoVA disability claim upon the completion of the DoD IDES process, but please do so within one year of becoming a military disabled veteran so that "military service-connection" is automatically assumed. Then, obtaining any DoVA disability rating percentage by the DoVA D-RAS shall be based upon all available medical evidence/documentation showing symptomology in support of the 38 CFR VASRD criteria. Take care! :cool:

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer!"

Best Wishes!

Thank you for your reply! I'll try to see what I can do ASAP.

I have one more similar question. I have leg issues, which includes shortening of the leg and sciatica. The MSC wrote right leg/sciatica, and explained that the C&P rep will examine the entirety of my leg, and I can at that point explain all of the issues with my leg (rather than listing each one individually). Does this seem correct or should I also ask the MSC to break down "right leg" into sub categories?

I'm so nervous, although the PEBLO and MSC both seem very nice and helpful, I feel like theres a "right" and "wrong" way to go about this, and I don't want to mess up!

Thank you for your reply! I'll try to see what I can do ASAP.

I have one more similar question. I have leg issues, which includes shortening of the leg and sciatica. The MSC wrote right leg/sciatica, and explained that the C&P rep will examine the entirety of my leg, and I can at that point explain all of the issues with my leg (rather than listing each one individually). Does this seem correct or should I also ask the MSC to break down "right leg" into sub categories?

I'm so nervous, although the PEBLO and MSC both seem very nice and helpful, I feel like theres a "right" and "wrong" way to go about this, and I don't want to mess up!
Indeed, you are welcome! :)

As such, I commend you being "positively proactive" while in the DoD IDES process; it shall definitely assist with obtaining overall favorable results in my opinion.

From my previous experiences when in the DoD IDES process, your MSC seems to be providing accurate information at this point in time which is great! Please ensure to mention all medical symptomologies in reference to your "right leg" to the assigned DoVA C&P Examination clinician albeit he/she is suppose to thoroughly examine both legs anyway.

Hence, if you have medical conditions which require the recording of Range of Motion (ROM) measurements, then please insist upon the use of a "goniometer" for the official recording of accurate measurements as annotated in 38 CFR VASRD §4.46 Accurate measurement. It states...

"Accurate measurement of the length of stumps, excursion of joints, dimensions and location of scars with respect to landmarks, should be insisted on. The use of a goniometer in the measurement of limitation of motion is indispensable in examinations conducted within the Department of Veterans Affairs. Muscle atrophy must also be accurately measured and reported. [41 FR 11294, Mar. 18, 1976]"

For historical reference, I would highly recommend that you review 38 CFR VASRD §4.71a Schedule of ratings —musculoskeletal system, The Knee and Leg within the below URL:
With that all said, no worries, you are doing just fine! Being prepared and asking numerous questions prior to any DoVA C&P Examinations should hopefully help to minimize the heighten anxiety at this point. Take care! :cool:

Best Wishes!

I contacted my MSC, and the exams had already been ordered so nothing could be added to the original form. It was suggested that I fax/mail a VA Form 21-526EZ in to the evidence intake center to try and add the conditions, and then bring them up at the C&P exams (which are in about 3 weeks) since there is a chance that they would see them as sympathetic with my other claimed conditions (for example I claimed anxiety, so hair loss could be sympathetic to that).
Does this seem right? I know with the VA Form 21-526EZ youre supposed to send a copy of your medical record showing that you were seen for certain conditions, but these conditions I want to claim now are based off medical records for anxiety, which they already have (I wasn't specifically seen for hair loss, but I talked to my doctor about it and he related it to stress and anxiety). Will sending this form in now confuse things? Am I better off just mentioning the conditions at the exams and seeing how the clinician responds, then going from there?

I contacted my MSC, and the exams had already been ordered so nothing could be added to the original form. It was suggested that I fax/mail a VA Form 21-526EZ in to the evidence intake center to try and add the conditions, and then bring them up at the C&P exams (which are in about 3 weeks) since there is a chance that they would see them as sympathetic with my other claimed conditions (for example I claimed anxiety, so hair loss could be sympathetic to that).
Does this seem right? I know with the VA Form 21-526EZ youre supposed to send a copy of your medical record showing that you were seen for certain conditions, but these conditions I want to claim now are based off medical records for anxiety, which they already have (I wasn't specifically seen for hair loss, but I talked to my doctor about it and he related it to stress and anxiety). Will sending this form in now confuse things? Am I better off just mentioning the conditions at the exams and seeing how the clinician responds, then going from there?
Indeed, unfortunately, it's virtually impossible to speculate just how the DoVA Rating Agency shall evaluate your DoVA disability claim at this point; hopefully IAW the 38 CFR VASRD criteria.

As such, if you believe submission of the VA Form 21-526EZ shall provide clarification to potentially expediting your overall DoVA disability claim through the DoVA Rating Agency then please submit now. Otherwise, I would suggest mentioning the associated residuals medical conditions to the DoVA C&P Examination clinician and proceed from that point. Take care

Best Wishes!

Hello again!

So during my C&P exams, something questionable came up on an X-ray (an incidental finding unrelated to the reason for the X-ray, and since then I have had a few appointments to evaluate the issue). I would like to claim it as well. My appointments were about 2 weeks ago, but I have not yet seen my results. The Peblo is out of town, and I requested a copy of the VA records, but they seem to be taking a while to copy them for me.
The MSC told me to go ahead and send in a VA Form 21-526EZ for this new condition. Is there a way to add this condition and all paperwork on eBenefits to expedite things? Or will I have to Fax it in for the quickest review? I never claimed the other conditions mentioned earlier in this thread because I decided to bring them up during the exams and wait to see what their summary said and go from there. But this was a "hey we found this on your x-ray, you should followup about it with your pcm" kind of thing, so its a completely new issue.
Also, am I able to access healthevet in order to see my records even though I am active duty? I don't want to sign up for it if its going to mess anything up system wise.
One other thing, my claim has been in the "Gathering evidence" phase for the last 2 weeks, and says that documents are needed from "others." When I contacted the MSC a couple of days ago she said that the VA had just uploaded the findings and everything was ok, but it still says the same thing. Should I be concerned?
Thanks for your help!

I had the same thing come up in my C&P, the provider determined that I had a hip injury even though I had not claimed it. They did x-rays and found evidence of a hip injury. A 21-562EZ was filed and the injury was rated based upon the range of motion recorded during my C&P.

I was given 20% for it based upon the exam.

I had the same thing come up in my C&P, the provider determined that I had a hip injury even though I had not claimed it. They did x-rays and found evidence of a hip injury. A 21-562EZ was filed and the injury was rated based upon the range of motion recorded during my C&P.

I was given 20% for it based upon the exam.

Thanks for your reply!

So at this point, would it be in my best interest to file the 21-562EZ now? Or wait until I see the VA summary (this is the NARSUM, correct?), see what they said, and go from there?