Recently diagnosed. Need advice

mech91

Registered Member
I’m coming up on 6 years in the Army reserves. I was officially diagnosed with MS this past February. Before my official diagnosis, my only symptom and the one that lead me down the path of multiple MRI’s, blood work, etc has been optic neuritis of the left eye (that was in Jan of 2017). I can still see out of it just fine but things are a little hazy when using only my left eye (thankfully I’m right eye dominate and have had no further symptoms). My CO/1Sgt are aware of the possibility of me having MS but I have not gone to them to tell them it’s official. When we discussed what would happen my CO told me my case would be sent to a MEB for decision, and as far as he could tell me chances are not good for being able to stay in. I rely heavily on Tricare reserve select and am honestly terrified to loose it because I’m starting infusions (Tysabri) this April and the price tag of the infusions is demoralizing. I am currently eligbale for renlistment with $10k bonus for 3 years or $20k for 6, but do not want to be subject of a fraudulent enlistment. Would re-enlisting knowing I have MS be considered fraudulent reenlistment? I’m curious as to what my options might be. Any advice is much appreciated.

You should ask a military attorney for an opinion in writing. My guess is that until the PEB says you are unfit, you are fit to reenlist.

If there is an official diagnosis in your records, there is nothing to hide.

Go ahead and re-enlist. Then let them MEB you.

I’m coming up on 6 years in the Army reserves. I was officially diagnosed with MS this past February. Before my official diagnosis, my only symptom and the one that lead me down the path of multiple MRI’s, blood work, etc has been optic neuritis of the left eye (that was in Jan of 2017). I can still see out of it just fine but things are a little hazy when using only my left eye (thankfully I’m right eye dominate and have had no further symptoms). My CO/1Sgt are aware of the possibility of me having MS but I have not gone to them to tell them it’s official. When we discussed what would happen my CO told me my case would be sent to a MEB for decision, and as far as he could tell me chances are not good for being able to stay in. I rely heavily on Tricare reserve select and am honestly terrified to loose it because I’m starting infusions (Tysabri) this April and the price tag of the infusions is demoralizing. I am currently eligbale for renlistment with $10k bonus for 3 years or $20k for 6, but do not want to be subject of a fraudulent enlistment. Would re-enlisting knowing I have MS be considered fraudulent reenlistment? I’m curious as to what my options might be. Any advice is much appreciated.
I am Air Force reserves, so do not want to speak for Army processes, but I'll tell you my situation.(It's a long story but I'll keep it brief) 10yrs AD USAF, 20 yrs AFRes, Boom Operator on KC-135. I was diagnosed with MS in Jan '17 after having numbness in my hands, and going to see my Flight Doc to discuss this. An MRI later, I got diagnosed. I am currently in the MEB process, Code 37 since Mar '17. My Leadership has always been aware of my situation, and fully behind me with whatever happens.
Here's why I reply to you: my normal enlistment is coming up in June. The re-enlistment paperwork my folks gave me to re-enlist contains a paper that my Medical Group people have to sign to say I can re-enlist. I called them to ask about the situation, and then MedGrp people said I will not be able to re-enlist (they won't/can't sign the letter) due to being involved in a MEB. But they did say I can do an Extension on my current enlistment up to 24months, so I am doing that now.
My question to you is: you say your CO/1SGT know something, but not that you were officially diagnosed. Do your Army doctors know you have MS? You don't say anything about Doctors? My doctor is the one who told me I'd probably be MEB'd on the day i was diagnosed. Just curious of you situation. Either way, I wish you Luck in your situation.

Everything has been through civilian doctors, when I noticed my blurred vision I just went to a local eye glass store thinking I needed stranger prescription glasses, then the snowball affect of doctors and tests. I’ve reenlisted since I posted this with the guidance of my 1SGT, basically He told me to go ahead and re-enlist if that’s what I really wanted to do, and deal with a MEB if it ever gets to that point. Him and my CO supported and respected which ever desicison I went with.