receving pay after out

ok guys so i talked to my case manager today and he told me that my va case was closed on aug 30th my unofficial ratings are this
DOD-10%
VA-100%
now my question/advice is this how can it be such a big differance between them and what would you do with these numbers( accept or appeal) i understand that these numbers are not official yet and could still change from what he told me but i just need some input here thanks
Since that is a highly disproportionate DOD vs. VA rating, I would appeal. You may have to have a formal board. That DOD percentage is not even qualifying for retirement. Let us know what you decide-good luck!

Grizz don't know percentage right now unfitting conditions were ruptured rotator cuff bulging disks in my neck and bilateral shoulder conditions
That is it that I can remember like I said these are unofficial results I won't get the official ones for about another week or two .
Medicalmystery, no I'm not happy with dod rating it's such a big gap difference once I talk to the secnav peblos when the official rezults are In ill see what they say and think I should do, most likely ill appeal it

Grizz don't know percentage right now unfitting conditions were ruptured rotator cuff bulging disks in my neck and bilateral shoulder conditions
That is it that I can remember like I said these are unofficial results I won't get the official ones for about another week or two .
Medicalmystery, no I'm not happy with dod rating it's such a big gap difference once I talk to the secnav peblos when the official rezults are In ill see what they say and think I should do, most likely ill appeal it
10% for both of those conditions does not make sense, unless they combined them. Are the injuries cause from each other or are they diagnosed as seperate injuries?

At 10% DoD, you really have nothing to lose by appealing. Further, an appeal could net you the additional 20% you need for a med retirement vs. severance.

Grizz, all three are separate injuries but I don't know if the lumped them all into one,
Usafaviotor, I agree it can't really hurt me any to appeal but like I said in a few threads earlier it is unofficial results so I'm not sure if anything will change with them or not

Usafaviotor, I agree it can't really hurt me any to appeal but like I said in a few threads earlier it is unofficial results so I'm not sure if anything will change with them or not

Copy. Likewise, the proposed ratings rarely change.

As for VA I got out 15 May 2013 and my ratings were finalized on the 28th of Aug. They are back paying me from 1 June. I hope that helps. I was separated with severance and had 10% Army 90% VA.

As of now, you are getting a lump sum money and VA benefits for the rest of your life. You willl only be loosing 10% of the VA compensation per month until the lump sum is paid off. VA medical care, no base access, and no tricare.

If you appeal, you will have a chance at getting above 30%, which results in:

Base Access, Tricare, VA compensation for life, VA Medical Care.

Honestly, some people would opt for the severance based off of cost factors; If you have been in for a long time, the severance check will be HUGE...that being said, you could negotiate a decent pay up front insurance policy and still retain a large amount of lump sum. But it would eventually run out.....it always does....

I am a fan of retirement because of the lifetime tricare...

I know that the above items where not asked for, but it might be good to get the options out in the open for yuo and other members following you.

ALSO, What RO are you at? IF you are at providence (hope you are) then you can expect a speedy processing of final ratings.

moneyblind, right now ill most likely appeal the dod's rating cus its bs that its so low gotta shoot for something more for my family and yes my stuff is at the providence office , hopefully i should get a call from secnav peblos about my ratings in a week or two and figure this out.

alright i need help with this asap im going today to sign my finialized ratings the va rated me at 100% which is great the dod found me unfit but said that im not ratable because of an accident i had so they are saying that my injuries are due to misconduct but ive had these injuries since 2007 and its documented in my medical record so i need some advice on this asap thanks

alright i need help with this asap im going today to sign my finialized ratings the va rated me at 100% which is great the dod found me unfit but said that im not ratable because of an accident i had so they are saying that my injuries are due to misconduct but ive had these injuries since 2007 and its documented in my medical record so i need some advice on this asap thanks

woah, good luck!

If you are still in the military now, you are NOT signing your finalized ratings; Those ratings are your PROPOSED ratings. You really never sign for the final ratings. You may be able to do a formal board and present the evidence to get those items added. I am not sure of that process because i never did a formal. (I prob should have to fight the TDRL)

Good thread guys, I like all the comments stated above!
As to the original question, I think this will give you an idea of what you were asking and explain how the pay works out.
Here's what happened to me when I retired last year:
Oct 30th was my retirement date
Dec 1st was my first retirement pay for the prior month plus 1 day for Oct
Dec 31st was my second retirement payment
Jan 15th was when the VA did my final rating
Jan 31st was my third retirement payment
Feb 15th was my first VA payment for the offset of VA benefit to retire pay from Oct 31st to Jan 31st
Feb 28th was my fourth retirement pay
March 1st was second VA payment (but first official payment for an entire month) plus the difference for Feb
I think mine was a little screwy, but in the end I only got screwed an extra month of taxable income.
Hope this helps!!!
Soooo let me get this straight.... I can be retired from army (medically) prior to getting my final ratings?

Soooo let me get this straight.... I can be retired from army (medically) prior to getting my final ratings?
Yes, that is the process, the VA ONLY provides preliminary ratings during military service. The VA can only provide Final ratings only when the Service Member has separated from the service (Reservists excluded) and is now considered a Veteran, hence the name Veteran's Affairs.

It takes about 1-4 months after separating from the service for the VA to finalize the ratings they proposed to the Service Member and the DoD. The day after you separate the VA will reopen your claims and verify they were rated correctly and send a letter of ratings along with how and why they came up with the ratings.

Hence, while in you are still in the service nothing is final until you ETS/Retire.

My PEB found me unfit in May13 but my stuff was just sent in for ratings 2 weeks ago. I feel like someone messed up lol.

My PEB found me unfit in May13 but my stuff was just sent in for ratings 2 weeks ago. I feel like someone messed up lol.
Yes they did, and they will not get reprimanded or punished for it... Another failure of the system...

well heres an update for all, after informing the peblos that i want a formal board to go through everything again and hopefully change their mind on sending me out the door with nothing, got the word the other day that they accepted my appeal and i have my formal board on the 21st of november. So has anyone gone through this before and can you tell me what to expect? thanks again

well heres an update for all, after informing the peblos that i want a formal board to go through everything again and hopefully change their mind on sending me out the door with nothing, got the word the other day that they accepted my appeal and i have my formal board on the 21st of november. So has anyone gone through this before and can you tell me what to expect? thanks again

Indeed, good deal with the approval of your forthcoming formal PEB hearing! :)

To that extent from an U.S. Army perspective, you shall receive additional information from your PEBLO in reference to the formal PEB (FPEB) hearing. The PEBLO should forward the documentation with point of contact information as to the location of your formal PEB hearing. You will need to contact that office immediately to receive the specific information pertaining to your DoD IDES PEB case.

Upon contacting the FPEB office, a judge advocate or a Department of the Army civilian attorney from the Office of Soldier's PEB Counsel will contact you. These officers are not assigned to the PEB; they serve as independent military counsel.

Moreover, the military counsel must consult with you at least one day before your FPEB hearing. This is an opportunity to go over your DoD IDES case and discuss any last-minute questions. Once the formal board convenes to consider your DoD IDES case, the informal board findings become null and void. The formal board will then issue new findings without regard to the previous informal board findings.

You will need to report to the FPEB Presiding Officer in the appropriate uniform of the day for the locale. The FPEB will inform you of your rights, including your right to make sworn or unsworn statements, your rights under the Privacy Act, and your right not to make any statements about the origin or aggravation of your injury. If you decide not to testify, the FPEB panel will not question you.

All FPEB proceedings are recorded except during the general overview prior to convening and the deliberation phase. You or your counsel may request a copy of the recording.

During the FPEB, anticipate questions relating to how and when your condition occurred, treatments received, medication, and work limitations that it impose. You will be provided the opportunity to discuss your case in detail.

The FPEB panel will usually have your medical records, medical reports, administrative and performance records, and statements from your chain of command concerning current duty performance.

To avoid undue delay and any detriment, you should arrive at the FPEB hearing with copies of all materials necessary to present your DoD IDES case. It is highly recommended that you submit any documentation not contained in the PEB packet to the board at least 24 hours prior to the actual board date. The FPEB members use all of this information in the decision-making process.

Following questioning by the FPEB members and your Counsel's summation, you will have one last opportunity to address the board members and have the option of making a brief statement.

Once all evidence has been reviewed and testimony concluded, you and your counsel will be excused for deliberations. Only the voting board members are present during deliberations.

Lastly, the FPEB members will independently vote to determine if you are fit or unfit. The board issues determinations by majority vote. If the board's decision is not unanimous, the dissenting member may choose to submit a minority report citing their rationale for disagreeing with the majority. The minority report will be made a part of the PEB record and will cause an automatic review by the United States Army Physical Disability Agency (USAPDA). If you are found fit, or found unfit with no new conditions not already rated by the DoVA, the PEB will provide you a copy of its Report of Proceedings before you leave the PEB.

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer."

Best Wishes!

thanks, now thier findings do not affect my proposed va ratings do they? because im at 100% proposed va and i dont want that to change

thanks, now thier findings do not affect my proposed va ratings do they? because im at 100% proposed va and i dont want that to change

You are welcome! :)

Indeed not; the FPEB members will independently vote to determine if you are fit or unfit.

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer."

Best Wishes!

If you are taking a voluntary retirement, then you should get the pay on the medical ground or condition. The only thing you need to do is apply for it and I hope sure it will not go unheard.