Reenlistment Bonus Question

Good evening,

I just have a quick question for anyone who has ever gone through PEB and have been medically separated/retired while under contract with a Selective Reenlistment Bonus (SRB). Specifically, for the Navy folks.

Upon discharge, were you required to pay back the reenlistment bonus or what happened with your reenlistment bonus upon separation? I read on a DFAS page that the remainder would be paid out but then looking through other references (DoD FMR, etc.), it it saying that they would require repayment of the bonus. Just trying to see what others have experienced but will also be speaking with admin/personnel at my command.

I found in OPNAVINST 1160.8A, page 15-16, section 18c(2):
c. The remaining SRB balance will be paid as a lump sum as part of the settlement of the member's s final military pay account for:
(1) Members who die while serving under an SRB contract and not due to their own misconduct.
(2) Members who are separated, discharged, or transferred to the Temporary Disability Retired List (TDRL) or Permanent Disability Retired List (PDRL) as determined by a Physical Evaluation Board.

So,
I'm hoping this is accurate. The instruction is from 2007 but all I could find.

Thank you in advance!

Last edited:
Hello @tech9314

The branch of service in which a veteran might have served is immaterial in this case. The legal authority ( United States Code (U.S.C.), Title 37) to pay the bonus is applicable to all.

Reference: DoD 7000.14-R Financial Management Regulation Volume 7A, Chapter 2 * May 2020 2-7 Table 2-1. Disposition of Unearned Portions of Bonuses, Special Pay, Educational Benefits, or Stipends

Rule 2

If a member under a written agreement for a pay or benefit

and

2 Incurs an injury or illness, through no misconduct of the member, that precludes the member from fulfilling the service conditions specified in the written agreement the member is separated or retired for disability under 10 U.S.C., Chapter 61.
then repayment of the unearned portion of the pay or benefit
will not be sought

and

if such separation or retirement is for a disability incurred in the line of duty in a combat zone designated by the President of the United States or the Secretary of Defense, or in a combat-related operation designated by the Secretary of Defense, and/or involves a combat related disability as defined in 10 U.S.C. § 1413a(e)

[then] any unpaid portion of the bonus, special pay, or student loan repayment under 10 U.S.C. or 37 U.S.C.

will be paid to the member upon separation
====

Note:

"020102. Authoritative Guidance The pay policies and requirements established by the DoD in this chapter are derived primarily from, and prepared in accordance with the United States Code (U.S.C.), Title 37. Due to the subject matter in this chapter, the list of authoritative sources is extensive. The specific statutes, regulations, and other applicable guidance that govern each individual section are listed in a reference section at the end of the chapter."

Irrespective of what a service regulation (Army, Navy, USAF, USMC, USCG) might state, under the conditions described above, the DoD 7000.14-R Financial Management Regulation Volume 7A, is the lawful authority. In fact the Navy regulation does not state otherwise in my opinion.

---
Ron

Hello @tech9314

The branch of service in which a veteran might have served is immaterial in this case. The legal authority ( United States Code (U.S.C.), Title 37) to pay the bonus is applicable to all.

Reference: DoD 7000.14-R Financial Management Regulation Volume 7A, Chapter 2 * May 2020 2-7 Table 2-1. Disposition of Unearned Portions of Bonuses, Special Pay, Educational Benefits, or Stipends

Rule 2

and

2 Incurs an injury or illness, through no misconduct of the member, that precludes the member from fulfilling the service conditions specified in the written agreement the member is separated or retired for disability under 10 U.S.C., Chapter 61.
will not be sought

and

if such separation or retirement is for a disability incurred in the line of duty in a combat zone designated by the President of the United States or the Secretary of Defense, or in a combat-related operation designated by the Secretary of Defense, and/or involves a combat related disability as defined in 10 U.S.C. § 1413a(e)

[then] any unpaid portion of the bonus, special pay, or student loan repayment under 10 U.S.C. or 37 U.S.C.

====

Note:

"020102. Authoritative Guidance The pay policies and requirements established by the DoD in this chapter are derived primarily from, and prepared in accordance with the United States Code (U.S.C.), Title 37. Due to the subject matter in this chapter, the list of authoritative sources is extensive. The specific statutes, regulations, and other applicable guidance that govern each individual section are listed in a reference section at the end of the chapter."

Irrespective of what a service regulation (Army, Navy, USAF, USMC, USCG) might state, under the conditions described above, the DoD 7000.14-R Financial Management Regulation Volume 7A, is the lawful authority. In fact the Navy regulation does not state otherwise in my opinion.

---
Ron
Thanks for this, I had the exact same question.

Hello @tech9314

Rule 2

and

will not be sought

and

====

Note:

---
Ron
Thank you!

I'm just trying to plan accordingly so that helps a lot. I wanted to make sure I was interpreting the verbiage right.

Thank you!

I'm just trying to plan accordingly so that helps a lot. I wanted to make sure I was interpreting the verbiage right.
Much of what I presented was taken directly from the FMR.

Ron