Referred for one condition evaluated on another...

af1987

Registered Member
Need some guidance on this one.

I was referred to the PEB for Other Specified Trauma Related Disorder but when I went to my C&P the VA doctor wrote that I have PTSD.

From what I understand Other Specified Trauma Related Disorder just means you did not meet all of the criteria for PTSD. It seems to me like the DoD wants to downplay my symptoms (which seems normal).

So my question is... According to the regs, the IPEB will not rate anything not examined by the VA. Will the IPEB look at PTSD for fit/unfit or literally only for what I was refered for? This seems like a ridiculous system...

I already requested an IMR but the dr did not address this issue. I was told I do not meet the criteria for PTSD and the MEB board "does not look at C&P exams".

I have also been diagnosed with migraines which my doctors wrote due to an accident I had in service and I got a C&P for it. Per the regulations I have read my migraines do not meet retention standards. The MEB refuses to add it to the referred list. Will the IPEB look at migraines and rate me for them if they were not listed in the MEB?

This happens frequently. From a dollars and sense perspective it make zero difference in your DoD and VA ratings. Virtually all MH ratings are lumped together and the percentage you receive is based on social and occupational functioning.

MH practitioners often downplay the diagnosis. Some do it so the patient is not stigmatized. Other do it for less ethical reasons. The Informal PEB will accept the VA's finding.

The MEB not adding a contention is irrelevant, the PEB is required by law to look at everything!

My advice is take a deep breath and enjoy the rest of your evening.