Reserve Officer Retired with Active Duty Benefits, are they for life?

Michelle13

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Greetings,
I was deployed to Iraq in 2004, I returned with extreme migraines. I was medically retired with a 60% rating, credited with nearly 7 years of service (24 years of reserve time)in 2013. I am on the permanent list and I presently receive benefits at the rate stated above. In other words I have full retirement benefits now prior to the age of 60. My question is, are these my benefits for life? I would have otherwise been eligible for retirement at age 60 but with my years of service, it would have been at a lesser rate. Will these benefits change when I'm 60? If so, how?

I have applied for CRSC but I haven't heard from them. Its been 5 months, should I have heard from them?

Thank you for your assistance.

FloridaInjuredInCombat

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Good question, I'm in the same boat being medically retired from the ARNG and receiving benefits prior to the normal reserve component retirement. As far as I know, medical retirement is the same for AD or RC, meaning that you are no longer held to the RC pipeline for benefits, you have been retired medically, and as such are DUE the same benefits as if you were retired from AD, and that should be for life.

From my understanding, at a certain age you will have to get medicare and that takes over the primary insurance, with Tricare taking up the slack. Haven't got to that point yet, so I haven't read up much on it.

Also, if you were unable to work in your civilian job and or able to drill because of you LOD injury, you should have been able to draw INCAP pay to recoup the loss. If you did, or if you are planning on seeking it through the BCMR (Board of Correction of Military Records, for your particular service), there is a new Dept. of Defense Instruction DODI 1241.01 that states that INCAP is NOT to be offset by VA benefits received. Most services already comply with that, but the Army still offsets, so the DODI might help to get the money back or keep them from taking it in the first place.

Hope this helps...

chaplaincharlie

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
Once you become medicare eligible you receive your stop paying for Tricare Prime and receive (free, at least for the time being) Tricare for Life. Medicare is the primary payer and Tricare for Life is a second payer aka wrap around.

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">