Response from PDBR

As Rater81 said, the VA and DOD are completely separate from each other. The VA typically goes equal to or beyond (because they will rate everything that could be service connected) than the DOD, but they will not raise it without you starting the increase request. That being said, you would still need to show proof of disability i.e. doctors visits/notes, medications, etc to support your claim more than just saying the DOD raised your original rate. It is quite possible that as long as you have evidence of ongoing problems as mentioned above^^^ the VA could very well raise your rating, but it has less to do with the revision from the DOD and more to do with things that you were found to have service connected.

Also , I am not understanding how your getting the 30% rating from the VA. If you are saying that your 20% DOD would be combined with your 10% VA then that is an impossibility. The two ratings are never combined, aside from the offsetting when CRDP/CRSC........but even then they aren't combined

My Husband is also retired and I submitted for the PDBR. Have a lot of people been getting screwed over with the severance pay situation?

Hard to say really. If you are looking at people that are in the same boat as you, me and Kagey then.............getting screwed over would be an accurate way to put it. But, if you don't have a spouse that retired then the 30% rating would be helpful. At the end of the day I guess "getting screwed" isn't a fair way to put it. I mean, we either knew about the payback or should have known prior to submitting for a review. For me, I wanted some justice in the whole deal........but looking back I should have just let it lie

Hard to say really. If you are looking at people that are in the same boat as you, me and Kagey then.............getting screwed over would be an accurate way to put it. But, if you don't have a spouse that retired then the 30% rating would be helpful. At the end of the day I guess "getting screwed" isn't a fair way to put it. I mean, we either knew about the payback or should have known prior to submitting for a review. For me, I wanted some justice in the whole deal........but looking back I should have just let it lie
I understand. Same for me. They need to make it right. But, even though I was rated 0% unfit, I remember having to pay back my severance pay. I was rated 30% for the same condition through the VA. That was 2005, so hopefully I am remembering it correctly.

I understand. Same for me. They need to make it right. But, even though I was rated 0% unfit, I remember having to pay back my severance pay. I was rated 30% for the same condition through the VA. That was 2005, so hopefully I am remembering it correctly.
I thought if you was med boarded w/severance over 10-20% then you had to pay back severance. (Combat Related) had it's own rules. But 0% didn't have to pay back severance.

I thought if you was med boarded w/severance over 10-20% then you had to pay back severance. (Combat Related) had it's own rules. But 0% didn't have to pay back severance.

This would make sense, because this is where I fall; 0% from DOD and 90% from the VA.

However, I have never read anywhere that stipulates a difference between 0 and 10-20.....just that 30 and above got no severance

Which is to say, the PDBR could, in effect, screw those of us that got 0% if they increase it.....worst case scenario being that they increase to only 10 or 20 and not the magic 30+

I havent got my packet yet but did hear from the board that they did change my rating from 10% but not to the point of permanent retirement, so I am guessing to 20%. I was wondering will the VA also change my rating to 20% as it is 10% now? If so I would be at 30% which means I would start getting paid for my dependents. Does anyone know if that how it works on the VA side and if so does that change become effective on the date of separation or from the PDBR date?
the review board's decision will not affect your VA disability rating. you would have to resubmit to the VA for a rating change.

the review board's decision will not affect your VA disability rating. you would have to resubmit to the VA for a rating change.
That is what I thought but they stated the decision would be sent to the VA if it don't matter why send to the VA? Just don't make sense.

I think because you have to actually file a request for a change in rating. because the VA rating chan go up or down depending on how long it's been since your original claim. they won't automatically re rate you.
I dont know why they send it to the VA other than maybe if you use the VA as your primary health care plan it might affect that. someone else may be able to correct me on that point.

So, I was rated 0% unfit through DOD then 30% VA for ghe same condition. Just checked my award letter. They did withhold my VA compensation for the 30% condition until my DOD severance pay was repaid.

could be, although I did receive aprox 18k after taxes severance

looks like we can now recoup that money we paid on taxes on our severances, as long as you meet the criteria............which I think most here do

I was found 20% through the Navy 10% back, 10% COPD. VA rated 40% back, 0% COPD. Since the COPD was the "Primary" reason for separation and the VA rated me at 0% for it, the Navy wouldn't recoup any of my separation pay UNLESS my rating with the VA for COPD was increased from 0%, then it would be recouped based on the rating for my COPD only, not the other conditions rated through the VA.

For example: IF my rating for COPD increased from the VA to 10% then the disability pay at 10% would be deducted from my total monthly VA disability payment.
I currently am 80% through the VA and my COPD is still at 0% (and have NEVER requested an increase, and probably never will)