Retired or Separated???

Navygrl901

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Doc said he thinks he can get me Med retired. I’m Navy AD. Torn Meniscus and Degenerative arthritis in both knees, Symptomatic flat feet, depression, insomnia. 16 years of service.. What are my chances??

Gonna come down to the unfitting conditions (probably knees) and the range of motion for your knees. The Doc is not really in the position to make that statement since the VA does the evaluations.

Is it true that I need to get 30 percent total for unfitting conditions or 30 percent for one thing?

Yes, you need at least a 30% total rating from the PEB to retire under Ch. 61 either from one or multiple unfitting conditions.

Do those unfitting conditions include insomnia, depression, or anxiety?

It depends on what the MEB determines for unfitting conditions. I am pending a likely medical retirement (Active USN 15 years) and was initially referred for my spinal fusion. However, they added PTSD and sleep apnea to be considered by the PEB as unfitting conditions. They will make the final determination on what is unfitting. In my case I doubt PTSD and sleep apnea will count, however, I will receive VA compensation for those things.

It was already mentioned that 30% is the magic number to get the true medical retirement and receive lifelong tricare, retiree ID card, etc. However, all of the conditions will be considered by VA and your monthly non-taxable pay from the VA may be higher than what you would receive from DOD.

50% of my base pay as a CPO is $2,184 but 100% VA (single) is $2,973.

All three of those will be rated as one usually you get a higher rating with multiple MH as they count all of your different conditions towards your one social and occupational impairment unfitting rating.

DoD only compensates unfitting conditions. If all of your conditions are determined to be unfitting, then you will get a rating based on the combination of your VA ratings. Often only one or two conditions are determined to be unfitting. In those cases the member only gets the rating or combination of ratings for the unfitting condition(s).

VA math is different. 40 plus 30 is not 70
40 + 30% (100-40)=
40 + 18%= 58% (rounds up tp 60%)

More than likely the Navy will find the knees unfitting an not the remainder of the conditions. It will be up to you to try to get them referred. The Navy typically just looks at one body group when determining fitness. I know that they are suppose to the consider the entire body to determine fitness, they know they are, however all to often they will not.