Retired

jshine23

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Recieved my package saying I am retired. It was in my truck for a week because it was with the junk mail and almost got tossed in the trash. Any advice from folks that have got there retirement on my next step???

Congrats, if you don't mind me asking did you put in for it 2014 or 2013. I've been waiting now since January February for them to either mail the denial or good news. Do they send it to you after it was adjudicated or after branch finished. Again congrats!

Be aware of the SBP. If you take SBP, they will charge you premiums bake to the date of separation. You want to factor that into the decision. What was your unfitting condition?

Mike

It was for bipolar. They gave me 10% when I got out. The Va gave me 70% and after two years it went to 100%. Thanks for the info about the SBP. Do you think I would qualify for CRSC??

Do you have any conditions compensated by the VA that meet the criteria of combat related?

Mike

What's SBP? Man I hope I get retired would be nice that's for sure.

What's SBP? Man I hope I get retired would be nice that's for sure.

The Survivor Benefit Plan (SBP), Reserve Component Survivor Benefit Plan (RC-SBP) and Retired Serviceman's Family Protection Plan (RSFPP) provide eligible beneficiaries with a form of benefit called an "annuity." An annuity is a monthly payment for the lifetime of the beneficiary. The amount of the benefit is a percentage of your retirement benefit based on your election.

Enrollment in an annuity plan is a decision that requires careful consideration. If you are considering enrolling in an annuity plan, you should review the:
Enrollment in an annuity plan is not automatic and there are costs. If you are enrolled you will pay premiums for your SBP coverage. In addition you can only leave an annuity to eligible beneficiaries.

Election to participate in these programs is generally made at the time of retirement, although some situations allow a retiree to add coverage after retirement. In most cases, costs to participate are deducted from the retiree's monthly pay and are based on the amount of coverage a retiree elects.

The SBP election does not entitle the beneficiary named for SBP to Arrears of Pay (AOP). A separate AOP designation has to be made in order to designate the desired individual.

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer."

Best Wishes!

Okay awesome I'll check into it if I get good news. If I don't then I guess no use to think about it. Hopefully soon enough I'll get the letter

Ok I have a question may seem dumb but I like to plan. I was separated with severance have a case pending before ABCMR. Say I get Retired I know DFAS/ VA will run an audit. I’ve been on a payment plan from my VA CP but whatever amount I haven’t paid back etc. So my question is is there anyway to know what you would owe for the SBP if I were to win my case? Is there a breakdown they give you to sort help you figure out if it would be of benefit or not? I’m 8 years post separation.