Retirement Certificate

SSGWTU

Registered Member
Hello All,

So I am currently at Ft Belvoir WTU and I was told service members who are permanently medically retired do not receive the retirement certificate with flag. I had a friend a while back get reitred (medically) from Ft Campbell and she said she was able to receive her certificate and flag.

Does anyone know if the SM is authorized the cert and flag due to being permanently retired? I tried looking up some kind of regulation, but all I could find is an Air Force regulation. Please help as I am trying to help other service members here since the command doesn't know much about this.

Thanks

Certificate yes (not necessarily immediately, but soon after). Flag would have to be requested from your state like any other retiree. S-1 sends the appropriate flag request paperwork out and the payment for normal retirement situations.

I got both before I medically retired--I think the day I final out-ed. That was Army, 2011.

My Soldier medically retired after 6 years as an E5 2 weeks ago and when he finaled out that gave him a box that had a certificate for him, a COA for his wife and flag with a couple dvds of something in it. this was in Fort Bliss, each post retirement services may be different.

Hello Everyone,

First let me thank you all for taking the time to help me out. I am still a little confused about who I can go to here (WTU - Fort Belvoir) so I can get some kind of confirmation. I would love to have some kind of regulation I can print out to show everyone here.

Don't get me wrong, the medical staff is great, but for some reason the cadre seem to either not care or are ignorant about the retirement situation for medically retired soldiers. I myself am severely injured, but I am trying to find out this info for all the soldiers here. I find it sad to see soldiers being deemed medically retired and from what I see they pretty much get there retirement orders and a bye.

I see them torn that they have to go, so it would be nice to see them get that certificate and flag as a symbol of the years they served and the injuries they sustained, as the Army kind of saying "Thanks". I also heard of other WTUs that give reitrement awards (ranging from COAs, coins, AAM, Arcoms, and MSM depending on rank). BUT AGAIN here they don't even do that.

Guys we are all battles. Whether an E1 or E9 we have to look after each other. NCOs must always lead from the front and be able to assist others. I appreciate your answers, but if you know any regulation that talks about the certifcate for medical retirement, also who or where to turn to in order to find info about the flag being presented to the spouse and also awards for there retirement that would be amazing.

My ultimate goal is to take the info I gain from you all, put this info together and take this to the company/battalion commander here and get this taken care. That way these soldiers can feel a little appreciated for there service and the dedication there families had too.

Thanks again guys. "One Team, One Fight"!

with the regulation above that pittpan linked, I would start with your transition center ref the certificate/flag/pin and such. As far as your retirement award, I would start with your WTB since they have a S-1 function there. Ask them to show you any WTU policies or memos that would preclude you from receiving
"the standard Army Retiring Soldier Commendation Program Package upon retirement".

2–3. Standards of service
a.

The Retirement Services Program is—
(1) A military human resources function.

(2) Resourced in the BASOPS.

(3) Not deployed with the tactical force.

(4) The functional responsibility of the transition work center.

I can tell you that from my foxhole, the unit I came from was the agency that completed my Retirement Award. Hope this helps and that you receive your award and package.

Hello All,

So I am currently at Ft Belvoir WTU and I was told service members who are permanently medically retired do not receive the retirement certificate with flag. I had a friend a while back get reitred (medically) from Ft Campbell and she said she was able to receive her certificate and flag.

Does anyone know if the SM is authorized the cert and flag due to being permanently retired? I tried looking up some kind of regulation, but all I could find is an Air Force regulation. Please help as I am trying to help other service members here since the command doesn't know much about this.

Thanks

An interesting thread...

Thank you "SSGWTU" for your inquiry and welcome to the PEB Forum! :)

Prior to acceptance into the DoD IDES MEB/PEB process, I was on track for the Active Duty LOS military retirement and therefore knew this type of action was going to occur via Military Retirement Services Office.

But, now I am not certain because the Military Retirement Services Office is more concerned about knowing when I "signed DA Form 199" which has not occurred at this point.

Therefore, I need to add this requirement to my "things to do list" for completion prior to transitioning out due to a military disability retirement.

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer."

Best Wishes!

Does anyone have a POC for the Ft. Belvoir Transition Center (reserve component)?

Start out-processing next week and no orders yet.

Thanks!

Does anyone have a POC for the Ft. Belvoir Transition Center (reserve component)?

Thanks!
Ask your S-1, they should have the number.

Thanks!

Ask your S-1, they should have the number.

Indeed, good advice!

As such, did you receive your military orders at this point in time?

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer."

Best Wishes!

Grizz I did contact the S1 that is why I was asking someone here. They had no clue. Just so happen I was contacted 30 minutes after I posted the question.

I have orders and clearing papers with my final-out is 7 Nov. 74 days of terminal leave with effective retirement date on my 51st birthday. What a gift to myself right?:cool:

Wonderful! I am glad you got called! Enjoy the retirement!!!

I have orders and clearing papers with my final-out is 7 Nov. 74 days of terminal leave with effective retirement date on my 51st birthday. What a gift to myself right? :cool:

Good deal and congratulations! :D

To that extent, enjoy your forthcoming well-earned military disability retirement to include your post military endeavors.

Best Wishes!

I have orders and clearing papers with my final-out is 7 Nov. 74 days of terminal leave with effective retirement date on my 51st birthday. What a gift to myself right?:cool:

Hmm, interesting...

Did you actually have more than 60 days of transitional leave approved? Or, is your 74 days inclusive of clearing time and PTDY if approved? Just curious, thanks!

Best Wishes!

I did get the 74 days approved by my BC. 74 days is what I have accrued and does not include clearing. No PTDY for the reserve component soldiers...that is what I was told anyway. Final-out tomorrow!

Hmm, interesting...

Did you actually have more than 60 days of transitional leave approved? Or, is your 74 days inclusive of clearing time and PTDY if approved? Just curious, thanks!

Best Wishes!

I did get the 74 days approved by my BC. 74 days is what I have accrued and does not include clearing. No PTDY for the reserve component soldiers...that is what I was told anyway. Final-out tomorrow!

Indeed, awesome; thanks for your reply! :)

Enjoy your final-out appointment today; well-earned and well-deserved for sure! ;)

Best Wishes!

After signing the DA199, an having finished ACAP already...just so I am clear, I'm waiting on my orders from TRANSPOC and i'll have my final out date. Is that really the end, is there nothing else?
I too am at Belvoir.

After signing the DA199, an having finished ACAP already...just so I am clear, I'm waiting on my orders from TRANSPOC and i'll have my final out date. Is that really the end, is there nothing else?
I too am at Belvoir.

Pretty much it except for any leave you may have and PTDY you may be authorized.

If you are retiring make sure you get in touch with RSO @ Belvoir as soon as you get orders.

Keep in touch!

I too am at Belvoir.
You will have a few appointments at transition, they will consist of ACAP, finance, survivors benefits plan, DD214 worksheet, and a meeting with your VA MSC. Takes three days or so.

Make sure you clear CIF

Back