script async src="//pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/js/adsbygoogle.js">

Retirement vs MEB

AviationSGM

Registered Member
Thanks for all the useful information on this site, I have been checking it out for a while now.

Situation: I have 21 years of Active Federal Service and looking for advice and some facts. I have been told that I will most likely be submittedfor an MEB within 60-90 days once recovered from surgery. I have already had 2 total hipreplacements (Aug 2016 and Feb 2017 surgery dates, Recommended MEB issues)and need a total knee replacement. I am okay withsubmitting my retirementpaperwork and retiring a yearfrom now. But everyone I have talked to says that I should go through the MEBprocess and that It might be more beneficial to me. I am hesitate, because from the little I know I do not think it will benefit me, could take quite a while and it coulddelay my knee surgery until after the MEB is complete, which could be 6-9 monthsfrom now. I really would like to just have my knee replacement while on activeduty and retire unless it is more advantageous to me togo through an MEB.

Would a medical retirement even rated at 75% be better than 21 years active duty plus VA. My understanding is one would get the higher of LOS plus VA ($3,685 Retirement(55% of 3 High) plus at least 90% VA for me(3 joint replacements, 3 shoulder surgeries, Sleep Apnea, and much more) for roughly $2000 for a total of $5,685 because of CRDP. Or Medical retirement best case 75% of 3 High for me which would be $5,025.00.

So in my case would an MEB be beneficial at all?
Am I missing anything else that might make a medical retirement better?

I would hate to go through an MEB and tie up all the resources for other Soldiers if there is not a benefit. It would not matter to me if I was found fit or unfit because I am ready to retire anyways.

Thanks in advance for your input. Climb to Glory!

mrando69

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
If you get medically retired and have over 20 years of active duty, you will get CRDP (if your VA rating is 50% or more). If you have 21 years of active duty, the minimum that your pension would be is 52.5%. If you get a DOD rating of 60% or more, then your pension can go up to a max of 75%. You will get your VA disability on top of your pension.

Craig2356

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Take the MEB!

Your retirement benefits are guaranteed by your 21 years of service.

I know a thing or two about both.....

gsfowler

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
With the MEB, you are in a little bit more control of what is taking place on the VA side of the house. Since you have 21 years active federal service, you are looking at a LOS retirement of 52.5% which will most likely increase to 55% by the time the MEB is finished.

Since you already will receive a LOS retirement and CRDP with your VA C&P, your goal should be finding every single condition that you can claim (100% pays much more than 90%).

You may be better off claiming the knee condition before surgery, as surgery typically makes things better and you may be rated less.

Below is some of the rating criteria that is important right now, I think you can get to 100% combined if you add conditions such as tinnitus, shoulder conditions plus any other issues that occurred while entitled to active duty pay

Hip Replacement

Code 5054: If either the entire head of the femur or entire head of the acetabulum has been replaced by a false joint prosthesis, then the condition is rated 100% for the first year after the surgery. (This period is mainly for the VA, but the DoD will also use it if the veteran is placed on TDRL before being permanently separated). After the 1-year period, the condition is given a permanent rating. If there is weakness and severe pain with motion that requires the use of crutches, then it is rated 90%. If there is weakness and severe pain, but it does not require crutches, then it is rated 70%. If the pain is not severe, but does limit the range of motion, then it is rated 50%. The minimum rating for a hip replacement is 30%.

Knee Replacement

Code 5055: If the entire knee joint has been replaced by a prosthesis, then the condition is rated 100% for the first year after the surgery. (This period is mainly for the VA, but the DoD will also use it if the veteran is placed on TDRL before being permanently separated). After the 1-year period, the condition is given a permanent rating. If there is weakness and severe pain with motion, then it is rated 60%. If the pain is not severe, but if it is frozen, or under codes 5261 or 5262, discussed below, if it is not frozen. The minimum rating for a total knee replacement, however, is 30% regardless of how much motion it has.

Note: This code is only for total knee replacements. Partial replacements are rated on any symptoms that they cause, like limited motion.

chaplaincharlie

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
At 21 years you get 52.5% DoD guaranteed (minimum). If you get 80% DoD or more you get 75% DoD! Either way you still get VA after 20 year AD LOS.