RTD w/Ankylosing Spondylitis?

Thebrittanyk

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Good morning,

I am currently AD AF with 8.5 yrs TIS and have just rec'd my ratings of 10% DOD/40% VA for Ankylosing Spondylitis. I am fighting for a RTD designation and have begun the appeal process/contacted OAC. Things that I have working in my favor are: never been on profile for this condition, have had majority of Excellent on all PFTs, have 100% Commander support, and have PCM/Rheumatologist support. I do not have any fusion/growth on my spine or any limited ROM; only attributes for Diagnosis are HLA-B27+ with frequent painful flares. Had a trial of two infusion meds (hence the MEB), and discontinued at the rec of my Rheumy after no improvement on them. Now on Gabapentin for pain which has provided relief, and am told by PCM that I am fully deployable on this med.

Looking for tips/recommendations from anyone who has 1) gone through an MEB for AS and/or 2) fought to be RTD and won (or lessons learned if not).

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide! I'll be happy to answer questions.

Brittany

I got a RTD on my first MEB, post heart attack. It is possible. Two things that helped is I continued to exceed PT standards and had a strong CC letter. Glad you have OAC working your case.

Hi, thebrittanyk, I just was wondering if you had any updates on your case to share. Thanks!

Hi, thebrittanyk, I just was wondering if you had any updates on your case to share. Thanks!

Hi Ruru86, I am actually at Randolph AFB right now for my formal hearing on Thursday. I meet with me attorney for the first time this morning. I will provide an update as soon as I can. Are you going through something similar?

Brittany

Hi thebrittanyk, thanks so much for your response. Yes, I’m going through a very similar process but I’m still awaiting my VA ratings. I similarly have excellent PFTs, 100% commander support, have never missed work for AS. However, the only real difference is that I’m also on Humira. My guess is that they will say that makes me non-deployable. I kinda know my fate but I’m curious to see how the FPEB addresses your case because you look like the perfect RTD candidate. I wish you the utmost luck! Do keep me posted.

Hey Ruru86, I just wanted to give you an update...I was supposed to have my formal hearing today at 1. However, I waited with my attorney for 20 minutes after my start time when the board finally called. I thought "this is it!", and then my attorney mouthed to me (along with a thumbs up) "You won!". Apparently, the board had taken those 20 minutes to review and discuss my case and my exhibits and agreed with my summary request to be returned to duty. I didn't even have to see them! They had initially denied my summary request last Thursday, so this was a surprise. From speaking with my attorney, humira (or any injectable/infusion) will be the kicker. I am fortunate that I do not have any fusion so can make due with natural remedies and approved pain meds. He did say that appealing to the SECAF is where people have the most success for a RTD. I hope that your case works in your favor; I would love for you to keep me updated. It's a long journey, and mine started 14 months ago. I'm so thankful that it's finally over.

Brittany

Congrats, thebrittanyk! That is amazing news! So happy to hear you will be RTD. I will definitely keep you in posted on my case.

Hi thebrittanyk question for you - how long did it take you to get your ratings after your file was sent to the AFPC IPEB?

Hi thebrittanyk question for you - how long did it take you to get your ratings after your file was sent to the AFPC IPEB?
Apologies that I never followed up on this. You may be long gone from this forum by now. Because it’s been so many years, I don’t recall specifically. I believe it was a couple of months. My entire process went from Nov ‘17 to Jan ‘19.

Update! I’ve remained on active duty this whole time and have been fine…for the most part. However, due to a PCS and new team of doctors, my condition has since been downgraded from AS to NrAS and I’ve added Fibro to my diagnoses. The last few years have been rough and my health has been a true reflection of the environment that past 3 years have provided. Despite still not being on profile, performing duties with no issue, and full support of my leadership team, I was informed today that my military medical team is pushing for a full MEB. Again. This all kind of came up as I was due to be PCSing to Japan this month and was medically denied.

Just thought I’d fill anyone here in that I’ve come full circle, and not in a good way.