SAFPC Grade Determination Timeline?

Neverending... Wow it sounds like it is neverending for you... My understanding is that the SAFPC is at AFPC/ARPC (Total Force). They have case managers there that handle a lot of the administrative stuff behind the scenes. If you call the folks there at AFPC/ARPC and ask to speak to someone in the Disability Branch, they may be able to help you, or at least point you in the right direction for some competent information.

My PEBLO and PEBLO Assistant were absolutely useless to me during my process, and I damn near did everything on my own, to include calling that personnel center and getting them to do my retirement the way that I wanted it done...

For those of you that my stumble across this thread because of the grade determination, get ready for another convoluted process post-retirement :) My retirement order explicitly stated that I would be retired in the higher grade I held (MSgt), but post-retirement nothing was ever updated. My first ID card said TSgt on it, DEERS was TSgt, Humana South was TSgt... You get the point. Emailed the folks at Total Force to have them correct it, thought it was corrected since I was able to update my ID, then find out that the system reverted me back to TSgt. *Le sigh* I honestly do not think that anyone knows what the purpose of this process is, how it works, or how to implement it once it is completed.

131 days to get a useless decision. My PEBLO called me Monday 8Jan and said it came back and now we can finally move on to waiting for orders!

It's been 91 days for me from the day I appealed to the SAFPC. I wonder if I will be out of here by March?

Mine was a rank determination and I read somewhere that those were priority. :/

No. A rank determination is for people who lost rank (admin demotion) during the MEB process or because of their medical condition. If the SAFPC office deems that you satisfactorily served in the higher grade, then you get retired at that grade. It does not have an effect on high 3 pay or retirement pay.

I am stuck at this step as well, got a little irritated with myPERS when I posted the question of timeline for orders since that’s where I thought I was. I ended up getting a smart ass response, but followed up with a formulated response to them based on my work position which I need a timeline. Today I got an email from the disability folks saying my case is at AFPB waiting grade determination and expect 4-8wks of adjudication. My question is this, I only held a higher grade in the reserves prior to coming back active, would this change my grade for retirement? Or is this just another detour on the process that I have to wait for? I was originally told when I signed my PEB decision it would be 1-3wks for orders, that has since passed.

It's a detour for you. They SAFPC determines if you satisfactorily held that rank and then they will decide what rank to retire you as. I got my E-6 back the day after retirement (according to my orders) but my DD214 still says E-5 with the date I was demoted. The only benefit was that I got the weight limit for moving HHG for the higher rank when they moved me to my new home.

Thanks for the response, I had no idea it was even going to come to that since my PEBLO never mentioned it; I just assumed I was waiting on orders like she said.

It's a detour for you. They SAFPC determines if you satisfactorily held that rank and then they will decide what rank to retire you as. I got my E-6 back the day after retirement (according to my orders) but my DD214 still says E-5 with the date I was demoted. The only benefit was that I got the weight limit for moving HHG for the higher rank when they moved me to my new home.

Are you aware whether or not their is a way to request upgrade in rank in your 214 after that ruling? I know I'll be in the same boat waiting for a determination and would like to have at least that positive at the end of the tunnel instead of only getting a retirement thank you letter with my previous rank.

Finally got my determination back, only took 3wks instead of the 4-8 8 was told. Now I have to complete another orders worksheet and done.

BEDevil, I got TSgt back, but my 214 has SSgt and the date I got that rank (demotion date). I called AFPC and they confirmed that's correct because you don't have get the old rank back until the day AFTER you retire.

Basically, the only thing I got out of it was more
Weight allowance for the final move to my new home and my
Blue ID says TSgt. It wasn't worth the extra weeks
Of waiting.

BEDevil, I got TSgt back, but my 214 has SSgt and the date I got that rank (demotion date). I called AFPC and they confirmed that's correct because you don't have get the old rank back until the day AFTER you retire.

Basically, the only thing I got out of it was more
Weight allowance for the final move to my new home and my
Blue ID says TSgt. It wasn't worth the extra weeks
Of waiting.

Ha, great. Definitely not the answer I wanted, but I appreciate it none the less. I guess it would go back to a records appeal and 1-3 years of waiting then after the retired date. Thanks again!

When I did my 214 paperwork I changed rank to Tech, will see when I get the final
Did you end up getting the updated rank on your 214? Is the rank determination really worth the wait? I will still get the pay since high 3 but just wandering if it’s really worth all the headache and wait

Did you end up getting the updated rank on your 214? Is the rank determination really worth the wait? I will still get the pay since high 3 but just wandering if it’s really worth all the headache and wait

I got mine. Took 3 weeks maybe at the end, but everyone else I knew declined. I get the high 36 arguement and everything, and even just wanting if all to be over, but I'm seriously glad I did it beyond the pride or my blue ID card. I'm about to move close to 120 days after being retired and I've got 3k more lbs of household goods for my family to relocate thanks to waiting a little bit longer.