Saw my NARSUM.... any advice?

flyin_dutchman

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I recently asked my Medical folks if I could be kept advised of any information/email/documentation that leaves their office regarding my situation. I even asked if I could be included in any meetings they have to discuss my case? I had not heard a peep out of them prior to this.....

Much to my dismay, I received an email from the Flight Doc and attached NARSUM. He stated that this NARSUM and medical records had been sent off 51 days ago. He also used the words I-RILO in his email? I know what I-RILO is, but do the NARSUM and I-RILO go together? They seemed to have combined it into one package they sent up?

I read the NARSUM, and there is some complete B.S. written in it! I have been in the military for 29 years and diagnosed with MS in Jan. He wrote in the L.O.D. portion of NARSUM, and I quote, "Administratively determined to have existed Prior to Service and not service Aggravated (LOD not applicable).

WTH?!!

I know this was the initial writings by the Doc and it's early in the game, but is there an appeal to the very first thing he wrote? That's a crock of poo!

Thanks

I-RILO (Review in Lieu of) its a way for them to speed up the MEB process.

This one, you are going to want to engage a legal team at the beginning. If you are Air Force the OAC is DSN 665-0739.

From all the reading I've done (and in the past 8 months I've combed through a lot of stuff), I've not seen any MS cases.

AFI 36-3212 is one of the applicable AFI, and it talks about Existed Prior to Service Defects. MS is a genetic condition, however there may be something somewhere that talks about how military service can aggravate MS.

Best of luck to you!

You can request an IMR. In my case the NARSUM was jacked, but the IPEB sent the NARSUM back for a re-write.

You can request an IMR. In my case the NARSUM was jacked, but the IPEB sent the NARSUM back for a re-write.

Just make sure you don't chuck people under the bus when you write your IMR (Impartial Medical Review) request.

Also, I'm wondering, did your commander write a Commander's Letter? I've helped put several together and I always included the member when I did.

Its possible that your flight doc was talking about sending your stuff to the DAWG?

I agree. You have a right to an IMR, so just request one. Do need to alienate anyone in the process.

Just make sure you don't chuck people under the bus when you write your IMR (Impartial Medical Review) request.

Also, I'm wondering, did your commander write a Commander's Letter? I've helped put several together and I always included the member when I did.

Its possible that your flight doc was talking about sending your stuff to the DAWG?

No, my Commander has not written a CC letter yet, but we did discuss my desire to have letters from those who work with me on a daily basis, and see how I function, to try to describe that I am fully functional now.
It is possible he was talking about the DAWG. I have a meeting with a flt doc (not the one who wrote the NARSUM) on Saturday, so hopefully that will be enlightening for both of us.

Well, if your commander hasn't written a letter yet, I wouldn't worry too much. That means that your package hasn't left your medical group.

The two pieces of the package for the initial piece is the NARSUM and the Commander's Letter.

I saw flight doc today to discuss my situation and find out some info. In this talk, he stated the DAWG is who determines if an I-RILO need to be written, and since I have an I-RILO and it was sent off with my medical records 51 days ago, that would indicate my package is up the chain somewhere at this point? He did describe to me the process and steps which will probably occur, and I was able to describe my concerns to keeping advised with the on-goings with my case, and my displeasure with some wording on NARSUM. He said it's reviseable so I guess thats good....

I'll need to ask my Commander directly if he's written a letter at all yet, but I don't think he has?

I saw flight doc today to discuss my situation and find out some info. In this talk, he stated the DAWG is who determines if an I-RILO need to be written, and since I have an I-RILO and it was sent off with my medical records 51 days ago, that would indicate my package is up the chain somewhere at this point? He did describe to me the process and steps which will probably occur, and I was able to describe my concerns to keeping advised with the on-goings with my case, and my displeasure with some wording on NARSUM. He said it's reviseable so I guess thats good....

I'll need to ask my Commander directly if he's written a letter at all yet, but I don't think he has?

Is your PEBLO keeping you advised? They are usually the one's who reach out for the CC letter.

Is your PEBLO keeping you advised? They are usually the one's who reach out for the CC letter.
I do not have a PEBLO. Have not been contacted by anyone at the Med Group at all? Which heightens my fear that this is all going wrong from the start!

I do not have a PEBLO. Have not been contacted by anyone at the Med Group at all? Which heightens my fear that this is all going wrong from the start!

If I was in your shoes, I'd be talking to someone to advocate on my behalf (Commander, DO, First Sergeant).

Everyone I work with is "on my side", but the CC and Shirt are TR's (Reservist part-timers), the DO is full time, but not really involved with my situation. It seems I should get the OAC involved, but have read bad things about their lack of attention to many?.....