SCAADL Benefit

wallflood

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Greetings All
My questions are regarding SCAADL which is the caregiver benefit.

We're thinking about applying for this as I cant work or go to school due to being in significant pain all the time after an Airborne accident. I'm 100% P&T retired from the Army and 100% disabled by the VA although they haven't rated me P&T yet.

But my wife does a lot for me. She not only makes all my meals etc, but drives me to appointments because sometimes I cant drive because of the light which I'm very sensitive too. She also has to take me to and from the ER because of the heavy medications they use, or at least pick me up if I'm taken by ambulance.

My concern is I dont want to be deemed "Incompetent" by the VA just because my wife is being compensated to assist me. As it is I still pay all the bills, make our larger plans (where to live, what to buy etc) and help the kids with their homework etc.

Is this a real concern to have? And can any of you share any experience or wisdom regarding this program?
Thanks

gsfowler

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
AFAIK SCAADL is a benefit for active duty service members. Since you are retired I think you will want to apply for aid and attendance with the VA.

AnAmericanAirman

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
For the VA you'll need to apply for the Caregiver Atipend program. Apply asap, if approved it's back dated to the application date. Look it up, process for my wife and I was fairly painless.

As gsfowler mentioned, aid and attendance is in addition to your compensation rating.

If you have not already, apply for Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI)

AnAmericanAirman.

chaplaincharlie

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
Incompetence will not be found simply because you as for aid and assistance.

Warrior644

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
Indeed, I concur with all posting above as evident with my current award of DoVA SMC (P-1) benefits! Take care!

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer!"

Best Wishes!

wallflood

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
If you have not already, apply for Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) AnAmericanAirman.

Hey can you give me any advice in this area? I definitely want to apply for SSDI but I want to apply with the cervicogenic headache/occipital neuralgia component. Its extremely painful and debilitating. However, I dont want all 17,000 pages of my VA/ARmy file out in the civilian sector if you catch my drift, especially with all the crap that social workers posing as therapists have written about me and trying to get me into their PTSD 30 day programs which was for their benefit not mine.

I have documentation that Im 100% rated by the VA, and 100% permanent and total by the Army. With my civilian doctors letters and documentation will that be enough to not only get SSDI, but expedite my case as a disabled veteran?

Or do I have to sign a full release to utilize that aspect of disability?

Warrior644

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
Hey can you give me any advice in this area? I definitely want to apply for SSDI but I want to apply with the cervicogenic headache/occipital neuralgia component. Its extremely painful and debilitating. However, I dont want all 17,000 pages of my VA/ARmy file out in the civilian sector if you catch my drift, especially with all the crap that social workers posing as therapists have written about me and trying to get me into their PTSD 30 day programs which was for their benefit not mine.

I have documentation that Im 100% rated by the VA, and 100% permanent and total by the Army. With my civilian doctors letters and documentation will that be enough to not only get SSDI, but expedite my case as a disabled veteran?

Or do I have to sign a full release to utilize that aspect of disability?
From my experienced historical perspective in reference to SSA SSDI, I would offer that you review my below URL explaining the complete process about SSA SSDI:
That all said, the above PEB URL is a great starting point referencing the SSA SSDI process with some added tips & pointers upon applying for SSDI; at least in my opinion. Take care!

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer!"

Best Wishes!

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">