Seeking information - Honorable, RE-4

eliotj

Registered Member
In 1988 I was forced out of the NAVY. I received final evals of 3.7 after the OIC tried to use dishonorable or OTH. Navy legal assisted. However, I received the remainder of my re-enlistment bonus, and an honorable. they labeled it PERSONALITY DISORDER.
For decades, I was ASHAMED!
Present: I was service connected for PTSD, 70% including tinnitus.
I would have stayed had I not been shafted.

What I want now, I want the NAVY to recognize their mistake, and medically retire me.
Since discharge, I received a Bachelors, Masters, and Doctorate. I'm not a slacker! I was SCREWED!

I've struggled with my nightmares for 30 plus years. I receive psychotherapy from the VA as well as meds. I even tried to commit suicide on active duty prior to discharge. But, instead of helping me, they shoved me out the door!

Any suggestions?

eliotj

Registered Member
Yes please read the Boxer Law because your issue happened before the law was enacted I believe that you can still pursue relief here. Plenty of pro bono help out there for discharge upgrades. http://www.operationalmedicine.org/ed2/GMOManual/clinical/CommandDirectedMentaleval.html

Thank you for the update.
I'm working on the DD140 as we speak. I've inquired to the local VSO that's been SUPER this far.
Now that I've won one battle, I think I have more to go on and win the other.
Would you recommend hiring an attorney?

chaplaincharlie

Staff Member
PEB Forum Lifetime Supporter
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
You don't have to have an attorney to file with the BCMR for a recharacterization of your separation to medical retirement. But I recommend you do so. The process has pitfalls and a good attorney could review your submission and make adjustments that might make the difference between approval and disapproval.

peblawyer.com

eliotj

Registered Member
You don't have to have an attorney to file with the BCMR for a recharacterization of your separation to medical retirement. But I recommend you do so. The process has pitfalls and a good attorney could review your submission and make adjustments that might make the difference between approval and disapproval.

peblawyer.com
Thank you sir. I used the link provided. I'll see what they say.
Again, thank you for everything you help me and others to do.

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">