Separation Pay / Terminal Leave

shivvyman

Registered Member
Good morning everyone!

Background: Jacked up my knee during a training school. Had one surgery to fix the problem, but due to complications, I ended up having 6 surgeries and now have a knee that is trashed and no longer suitable for the military. Since I'm not an amputee, I'm likely looking at 20% from the DoD. I've accepted this and realize my money will come via severance check.

I'm aware of the formula for severance pay. Specifically, I'm aware they round up or down on the year depending on if you are over or under 6 months (i.e. - get paid for 8 years if you have 7 years 6 months and 1 week of active duty service).

My package went to DC on December 15th. I've been told I can expect to hear results back around early February. I've been told by my PEBLO that I will be required to get out of the Navy within 30-60 days of receiving my results.

My goal is to get out of the Navy after April 21st because that is the day I would receive a check for 8 years of service vice 7 years (and that's a $10K difference). Obviously, I want to ensure myself a separation of date of after April 21st due to the monetary benefits. I am somewhat concerned of being told to separate NLT 60 days after receiving my results. That, given my current projected timeline, would be early April. I've also been told terminal leave must be used up prior to the separation date.

My questions:

1) I currently have 72 days of leave on the books. I cannot find the reference/publication/instruction regarding the use of terminal leave. I assume it must be used prior to the separation date, but I'd like to know this with 100% certainty (by that I mean is it included/excluded from the separation date? I'm aware I can sell it if choosing not to take it).

2) I've read multiple people citing 90 days as the maximum separation date after receiving notification of results. Is it 60, 90, or can I pick the date I request if signed off by my CoC and whoever else?

3) Are there any courses of action I could take to lengthen my stay in the Navy by a month or two if need be (appeals, reconsiderations, etc.)?

Thank you.

V/r,

Mike

Shivvy, if you really want extend your time then I suggest appeals and milking every day possible out of the process. When your counselor tells you that you have 10 days to take action, take the whole 10 days. When they schedule your physical QTC exams,try to get them spread out, etc. Little things drag time on. I rushed my process very fast but I didn't have to worry about severance (70% from Army and VA).

I believe the original NLT message is 90 days, not 60. And this does NOT include terminal. You should be fine if you're trying to make it past April. Separate at the 90 day mark, and take as much terminal as you can..

I believe the original NLT message is 90 days, not 60. And this does NOT include terminal. You should be fine if you're trying to make it past April. Separate at the 90 day mark, and take as much terminal as you can..

Do you know of the instruction or notice that states this? I'm trying to track down the actual publication or instruction but am having little luck. Thanks!

I'd be very excited to hear I could take 90 and not include Terminal. That would allow me to get out exactly when I want.

I have no instruction to cite but my personal experience was a final out date of august 28th which was adjusted to october 28th to allow for the taking of all terminal leave.

UPDATE:

My results came back today. Exactly 30 days from submitting my package to DC on 15 December.

I've been found UNFIT. DoD 10%. VA 40%.

My condition was found to be combat-related.

My questions (to confirm what I've been told):

1) Due to my injury being combat related (simulating combat conditions to be specific / no slight to those who actually got shot up), my severance pay will not be taxed and I won't have to worry about submitting anything to DFAS to recoup what would normally be taxed if not combat-related. Correct?

2) I will start receiving my monthly VA check immediately after separating due to no recoup being necessary since injury was combat related. Correct?

This is what I've been told, but I just want to confirm this with all you experts out there. Thanks!

VA pay will take about 3 to 6 months . After you get out .