Service connected vs Not service connected

weeblewobble

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Hi all, I have a question about the VA saying that one of my conditions isn't service connected. I had laser eye surgery back in 2005 at a military MTF. As a result of that surgery (from day one after the surgery) I've had many eye problems including coronal degeneration and double vision. I'm on four different eye drops, one of which is a steroid eye drop, for the rest of my life. All of this is very well documented in my medical records, including the verbiage "as a result of lasek procedure". The procedure I had was one that had so many problems associated with it that the military stopped using that method altogether several years ago (I had lasEk as opposed to the more commonly used lasik or PRK). Since it wasn't one of my referred conditions, I decided not to prolong this process further and work it from the other side. My question is, has anyone had luck getting the VA to change an outcome from NOT service connected to Service connected? I'm not worried about ratings or percentages at all. Just want to make sure I can still get all my meds covered for this condition.

Warrior644

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
Hi all, I have a question about the VA saying that one of my conditions isn't service connected. I had laser eye surgery back in 2005 at a military MTF. As a result of that surgery (from day one after the surgery) I've had many eye problems including coronal degeneration and double vision. I'm on four different eye drops, one of which is a steroid eye drop, for the rest of my life. All of this is very well documented in my medical records, including the verbiage "as a result of lasek procedure". The procedure I had was one that had so many problems associated with it that the military stopped using that method altogether several years ago (I had lasEk as opposed to the more commonly used lasik or PRK). Since it wasn't one of my referred conditions, I decided not to prolong this process further and work it from the other side. My question is, has anyone had luck getting the VA to change an outcome from NOT service connected to Service connected? I'm not worried about ratings or percentages at all. Just want to make sure I can still get all my meds covered for this condition.
Hmm, what exactly was the DoVA Rating Agency's reason for not granting a military service connected decision? :confused:

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer!"

Best Wishes!

weeblewobble

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I believe it was just listed under the heading "Conditions determined to be not service connected", but it didn't give an explanation. I'll look a little deeper into it too see if it specifically says why. Thanks for your response!

weeblewobble

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Hmm, what exactly was the DoVA Rating Agency's reason for not granting a military service connected decision? :confused:

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer!"

Best Wishes!
I just double checked and it didn't say why. :(

Warrior644

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
I just double checked and it didn't say why. :(
Hmm, that's highly unusual; the DoVA Rating Agency is suppose to provide a written explanation as to why any medical condition isn't military service connected.

Well, I would suggest two courses of action at this particular point in time. First, upon becoming a military veteran and receiving your DoVA official rating documentation, check for an explanation at that time. If no explanation is given then I would request a reconsideration by calling the 1-800# since that method only takes a couple of months to complete. If you are not successful with the reconsideration then you would need to submit a DoVA Notice of Disagreement (NOD) but do so within one year of receiving the DoVA official rating documentation. Hope this helps and take care!

Best Wishes!

weeblewobble

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Hmm, that's highly unusual; the DoVA Rating Agency is suppose to provide a written explanation as to why any medical condition isn't military service connected.

Well, I would suggest two courses of action at this particular point in time. First, upon becoming a military veteran and receiving your DoVA official rating documentation, check for an explanation at that time. If no explanation is given then I would request a reconsideration by calling the 1-800# since that method only takes a couple of months to complete. If you are not successful with the reconsideration then you would need to submit a DoVA Notice of Disagreement (NOD) but do so within one year of receiving the DoVA official rating documentation. Hope this helps and take care!

Best Wishes!
I'll do that! Thanks for the info!

Warrior644

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
I'll do that! Thanks for the info!
Indeed, you are welcome! Take care! :cool:

Best Wishes!

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">