severance pay and VA disability rating

yperez33

Registered Member
my VA compensation rating is 50%. I was separated with a 10% and the severance pay. As far as the VA is concerned does this now mean I will not receive the VA compensation until the full severacne is paid off? If i were to accept and not appeal....which i plan to.

my VA compensation rating is 50%. I was separated with a 10% and the severance pay. As far as the VA is concerned does this now mean I will not receive the VA compensation until the full severance is paid off? If i were to accept and not appeal....which i plan to.

Disability Separation Pay: The VA is required by law to withhold disability compensation payments for service members who received a disability severance payment when they separated from the military (Chapter 61), if the VA disability compensation is for the same disability. This is to prevent a veteran from receiving duplicate benefits.

Exception: The VA will not deduct compensation pay if the military disability severance pay was received for disabilities incurred in line of duty in a combat zone or incurred during performance of duty in combat-related operations as designated by the Department of Defense (DoD).

Ron