Severance Pay

Status
Not open for further replies.

mford019

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
I am a few days away from being out of the Army, I see my last check is being withheld, does anyone know how long it has been taking to get severance pay after your ets?

It doesn't take too long, I had a buddy that was released from service, and his last check was also withheld, but less that 10 days had passed when his severence kicked in, they told him it would have been 30 days, but I know for a fact it was like ten... Hope this brings soem light to your question... Don't hunt me down if it takes longer, he recieved 10% seperation severence with 6 yrs. of service, combat related seperation, so he got his really quick.~

Yea these people at dfas are telling me that it will take 30-45 days to receive either. This is really confusing, they are holding both my final pay and severance to do an audit, why not one or the other? Anyone else received severance lately?

Any word on your severence? Are they still having you in audit, or did you finally get paid?

I called the post finance and they told me I should recieve it by next Wednesday

Dfas f*#$ around you have to call an call an call. I got half after 30 days and the other half thirty days after that .

Dfas f*#$ around you have to call an call an call. I got half after 30 days and the other half thirty days after that .

Yes. It seems like DFAS has to make sure you don't have any monies or equipment owed to the Army. That is partly why it takes a bit to get your severance. They want to make sure you don't owe the military anything.

I'm still waiting for my 59.5 days of leave pay I sold back. Been 30 days now and counting..... Of course, no interest to be paid on that money they hold for the time they hold it back.... good thing we aren't in hyper-inflation....

v/r,
nwlivewire

How did the taxes work out...... so I can tell the next soldier that asks ;)

DFAS is not the problem, your post finance has to release your money before DFAS can pay you. Now how fast they work I have no idea but I will keep y'all posted.

Okay for those of yo who are interested, I ETS'ed on 29 April, I received my severance and final pay check all in onr today 26 May. I did call my post finance and DFAS on a regular basis, but I figured it was my money anyway!

Okay for those of yo who are interested, I ETS'ed on 29 April, I received my severance and final pay check all in onr today 26 May. I did call my post finance and DFAS on a regular basis, but I figured it was my money anyway!

UPDATE FOR NG/RESERVE WHO SELL BACK LEAVE THAT WAS ACCUMULATED WHILE ON ACTIVE DUTY

I found out last week (after having been discharged on PDRL since mid- Apr) that my NG unit is responsible for sending in some paperwork before DFAS can pay me the 59.5 days of leave I accumulated while on Active Duty going through the IDES process - leave time I WAS TOLD WOULD BE PAID AUTOMATICALLY BY THE ARMY.

I asked about this issue of selling excess leave at JBLM when out-processing, and everyone there said the Active Army was responsible (WTU/CB-WTU). But now I'm being told by DFAS that my NG unit has to submit some paperwork first to DFAS.

My NG unit didn't seem to know that they are the initiating unit to get me paid my excess leave, either.

So next week, I am sending my NG S-1:

1. Copy of my DD 214

2. last copy of my orders that showed I was in a CB-WTU (Active Duty Unit)

3. Copy of retirement orders

4. Copy of final Active Dury LES that shows I still have leave time on the books that never got used.

Hope this info helps otherNG/Reserve SMs that are in the CB-WTU system that do sell back leave accumulated while on Active Duty going through the IDES process.

Will also let you know if this new informatin is correct and IF and When paid by DFAS, how much is taken out in Federal and/or State tax.

v/r,
nwlivewire

Good To Know, Thanks Livewire :D

Have not done the taxes yet..Will be doing all my research an making phone calls next week to figure out how it works. I ets Feb 21 2012 and got the rest of my pay around mid of April. Dfas and Finance said you can not get your updated w-2 until 20 days after you get your final pay. So would Dfas be giving me my taxes back or the irs ? It would be on next years tax return correct ?

As for Severence that is taxed:
This is the information that was provided to me by my PEBLO in order to get Disability Severence Tax Refunded:

Under the current DFAS, and the IRS interpretation of federal law, there are tax advantages you should know about. If your disability falls under one of four categories you are elegible for these benefits. The first three are based on administrative determinations refered to as 10a, b, or c, on DA Form 199, and are made by the Personal Evaluation Board ( PEB ). The fourth is a disability determination made by the VA. You should ask your PEBLO if your disability was designated as either 10a, b, or c in the PEB proceedings. If such a designation was granted DFAS should not take any federal taxes out of your disability severence pay. If you have the tax taken out when awarded either a 10a, b or cdesignation DFAS has instructed that the field finance office is to contact DFAS at [email protected] to ensure automatic prompt refund of the witheld taxes.

If your PEBLO tells you that the PEB found you inelegible for a 10a, b or c designation, your severence pay will be taxed initially. However, you may still qualify for a tax break if you are awarded a VA disability rating for the same condition that resulted in your medical discharge. For example, if you are found unfit by the PEB for a right knee injury, and, subsequently, the VA also rates that the same right knee, you can apply for a refund of the taxes witheld. To secure your refund, upon receipt of your VA rating, follow the dirrections below.

DFAS can refund all of your severence pay taxes. HOWEVER, AS OF THE DATE OF THIS PAPER, THE IRS HAS NOT OFFICIALLY ENDORSED THE DFAS POSITION THAT YOU ARE ELEGIBLE FOR A FULL REFUND. SPECIFICALLY, THE IRS HAS NOT OFFICIALLY STATED HOW MUCH OF A REFUND YOU ARE ELEGIBLE TO RECIEVE. CONSEQUENTLY, IN THE FUTURE THE IRS COULD CLAIM THAT YOU UNDERPAID YOUR TAXES FOR THE TAX YEAR IN WHICH YOU YOU RECIEVED YOUR REFUND FROM DFAS.

To secure the refund, you must send copies of your seperation orders, DD214, VA award documentation, and the attached sample cover letter to DFAS by fax (317)275-0248 / ATTN: Seperation branch or scan and email to [email protected].

If you follow the above guidelines, but are not provided a refund within two months of your request, contact the seperation and reenlistment division at DSN 699-5950 / 2829 or commercial: (317)212-2829 or (317)212-5950. [email protected].

The request, with all necessary documentation, must be recieved by DFAS by 31 DEC of the year in which you recieved your seperation paycheck. If your request does not meet this deadline, DFAS cannot provide you with any refund. DFAS has indicated they will not provide you a corrected W-2 if you do not meet the same calandar year deadline.

If you are not elegible to request a refund from DFAS because of the time limitations, and you have not filed your tax return for that tax year, you may file a tax return and include a copy of the VA award to inform the IRS that the severence pay should not be considered taxable. You should file your federal return with " ST. CLAIR vs. THE UNITED STATES" written across the top of the tax form. If you have already filed your tax return for that tax year you will have to ask the IRS for a refund. BE AWARE THAT, AS OF THE DATE OF THIS PAPER, THE IRS DOES NOT HAVE AN OFFICIAL POSITION ON WHAT PORTION OF YOUR SEVERENCE PAY IS TAX-FREE. CONSEQUENTLY, YOU MAY NOT GET A FULL REFUND. MOREOVER, IN THE FUTURE THE IRS COULD CLAIM THAT YOU UNDERPAID YOUR TAXES FOR THE TAX YEAR IN WHICH YOU RECIEVED YOUR REFUND. In an attempt to secure a refund from the IRS, you must mail to the IRS copies of your federal individual tax return ( or ammended return 1040X, if appropriate - with the ST. CLAIR vs. THE UNITED STATES written on the top ) for the year in which you recieved your severence pay, original IRS Form W-2, VA Disability Award documentation, DD Form 214, seperation orders, and the enclosed sample cover letter 2. Address your request and sample cover letter to your servicing IRS location. This last IRS request is not always known by all IRS employees and sometimes there can be less than complete success in every filing.

Sample cover letter 1-

DEFENSE FINANCE AND ACCOUNTING SERVICE
INDIANAPOLIS CENTER
ATTN: DFAS-PJEC/IN
8899 EAST 56TH STREET
INDIANAPOLIS, IN, 46249-0801

Dear Sir / Ma'am:

I was medically discharged from the US Army / ARNG, on ___________. I was awarded severence pay in the amount of _____________ dollars. My disability severence pay was taxed. This money was witheld for payment to the IRS.

I have now recieved a disability rating from the Veterans Affairs ( VA ) for the same disability for which the Army compensated me, and in the same calendar year that I recieved my severence pay. Therefore, under the provisions of 26 U.S.C. § 104(b)(2), I am elegible for DFAS refund of the taxes witheld.

Enclosed are copies of the following documents to support my request:
• VA Award Documentation
• Seperation Orders
• DD Form 214 ( or 215 )

Please contact me if you require additional information. My current phone number is ( )-----------------. My current address is _____________________________________.
Military Pay Account: ____________________________________
My current banking information is :
Financial Organization:____________________________________
routing:________________________________________________
account:_______________________________________________
Checking ( ) Savings ( )

Your prompt attention to this request is appreciated.

Sample 2 -

INTERNAL REVENUE CENTER

Dear Sir / ma'am:

I was medically discharged from the US Army / ARNG, on ___________. I was awarded severence pay in the amount of _____________ dollars. My disability severence pay was taxed. This money was witheld for payment to the IRS in Tax year _____.

I have now recieved a disability rating from the Veterans Affairs ( VA ) for the same disability for which the Army compensated me.

Under the provisions of 26 U.S.C. §104 (a)(4), and 26 U.S.C. §(b)(2) (D), as interpreted by the District Court in St. Clair vs. The United States, Disability severence payments are amounts received for personal injury(ies) and are thus excluded from taxable income. The only caveats are (1) a VA rating for the injury for which severence pay was granted and (2) a waiver of an equivalent amount of VA disability pay ( See IRS "Action on Decision". #cc-1992-006, distributed 19 Dec 1991).

As indicated, I am in reciept of a VA rating for the injury for which I was granted severence pay, and I have waived a like amount of my VA disability pay. Therefore, I request a refund of taxes witheld in year _____, the year in which I recieved my severence pay.

• Individual Federal Tax Return for the year _________ ( the year I recieved my severence pay )
• Original IRS Form W-2
• Corrected IRS Form W-2
• VA Award Documentation
• Seperation Orders
• DD Form 214

Please contact me if you require additional information. My current phone number is ( )_________. My current address is ____________________________________.

Sincerely,

hiope this helps anyone out there to recover their taxed severence~

Mark~

As for Severence that is taxed:
This is the information that was provided to me by my PEBLO in order to get Disability Severence Tax Refunded:

Under the current DFAS, and the IRS interpretation of federal law, there are tax advantages you should know about. If your disability falls under one of four categories you are elegible for these benefits. The first three are based on administrative determinations refered to as 10a, b, or c, on DA Form 199, and are made by the Personal Evaluation Board ( PEB ). The fourth is a disability determination made by the VA. You should ask your PEBLO if your disability was designated as either 10a, b, or c in the PEB proceedings. If such a designation was granted DFAS should not take any federal taxes out of your disability severence pay. If you have the tax taken out when awarded either a 10a, b or cdesignation DFAS has instructed that the field finance office is to contact DFAS at [email protected] to ensure automatic prompt refund of the witheld taxes.

If your PEBLO tells you that the PEB found you inelegible for a 10a, b or c designation, your severence pay will be taxed initially. However, you may still qualify for a tax break if you are awarded a VA disability rating for the same condition that resulted in your medical discharge. For example, if you are found unfit by the PEB for a right knee injury, and, subsequently, the VA also rates that the same right knee, you can apply for a refund of the taxes witheld. To secure your refund, upon receipt of your VA rating, follow the dirrections below.

DFAS can refund all of your severence pay taxes. HOWEVER, AS OF THE DATE OF THIS PAPER, THE IRS HAS NOT OFFICIALLY ENDORSED THE DFAS POSITION THAT YOU ARE ELEGIBLE FOR A FULL REFUND. SPECIFICALLY, THE IRS HAS NOT OFFICIALLY STATED HOW MUCH OF A REFUND YOU ARE ELEGIBLE TO RECIEVE. CONSEQUENTLY, IN THE FUTURE THE IRS COULD CLAIM THAT YOU UNDERPAID YOUR TAXES FOR THE TAX YEAR IN WHICH YOU YOU RECIEVED YOUR REFUND FROM DFAS.

To secure the refund, you must send copies of your seperation orders, DD214, VA award documentation, and the attached sample cover letter to DFAS by fax (317)275-0248 / ATTN: Seperation branch or scan and email to [email protected].

If you follow the above guidelines, but are not provided a refund within two months of your request, contact the seperation and reenlistment division at DSN 699-5950 / 2829 or commercial: (317)212-2829 or (317)212-5950. [email protected].

The request, with all necessary documentation, must be recieved by DFAS by 31 DEC of the year in which you recieved your seperation paycheck. If your request does not meet this deadline, DFAS cannot provide you with any refund. DFAS has indicated they will not provide you a corrected W-2 if you do not meet the same calandar year deadline.

If you are not elegible to request a refund from DFAS because of the time limitations, and you have not filed your tax return for that tax year, you may file a tax return and include a copy of the VA award to inform the IRS that the severence pay should not be considered taxable. You should file your federal return with " ST. CLAIR vs. THE UNITED STATES" written across the top of the tax form. If you have already filed your tax return for that tax year you will have to ask the IRS for a refund. BE AWARE THAT, AS OF THE DATE OF THIS PAPER, THE IRS DOES NOT HAVE AN OFFICIAL POSITION ON WHAT PORTION OF YOUR SEVERENCE PAY IS TAX-FREE. CONSEQUENTLY, YOU MAY NOT GET A FULL REFUND. MOREOVER, IN THE FUTURE THE IRS COULD CLAIM THAT YOU UNDERPAID YOUR TAXES FOR THE TAX YEAR IN WHICH YOU RECIEVED YOUR REFUND. In an attempt to secure a refund from the IRS, you must mail to the IRS copies of your federal individual tax return ( or ammended return 1040X, if appropriate - with the ST. CLAIR vs. THE UNITED STATES written on the top ) for the year in which you recieved your severence pay, original IRS Form W-2, VA Disability Award documentation, DD Form 214, seperation orders, and the enclosed sample cover letter 2. Address your request and sample cover letter to your servicing IRS location. This last IRS request is not always known by all IRS employees and sometimes there can be less than complete success in every filing.

Sample cover letter 1-

DEFENSE FINANCE AND ACCOUNTING SERVICE
INDIANAPOLIS CENTER
ATTN: DFAS-PJEC/IN
8899 EAST 56TH STREET
INDIANAPOLIS, IN, 46249-0801

Dear Sir / Ma'am:

I was medically discharged from the US Army / ARNG, on ___________. I was awarded severence pay in the amount of _____________ dollars. My disability severence pay was taxed. This money was witheld for payment to the IRS.

I have now recieved a disability rating from the Veterans Affairs ( VA ) for the same disability for which the Army compensated me, and in the same calendar year that I recieved my severence pay. Therefore, under the provisions of 26 U.S.C. § 104(b)(2), I am elegible for DFAS refund of the taxes witheld.

• VA Award Documentation
• Seperation Orders
• DD Form 214 ( or 215 )

Please contact me if you require additional information. My current phone number is ( )-----------------. My current address is _____________________________________.
Military Pay Account: ____________________________________
My current banking information is :
Financial Organization:____________________________________
routing:________________________________________________
account:_______________________________________________
Checking ( ) Savings ( )

Your prompt attention to this request is appreciated.

Sample 2 -

INTERNAL REVENUE CENTER

Dear Sir / ma'am:

I was medically discharged from the US Army / ARNG, on ___________. I was awarded severence pay in the amount of _____________ dollars. My disability severence pay was taxed. This money was witheld for payment to the IRS in Tax year _____.

I have now recieved a disability rating from the Veterans Affairs ( VA ) for the same disability for which the Army compensated me.

Under the provisions of 26 U.S.C. §104 (a)(4), and 26 U.S.C. §(b)(2) (D), as interpreted by the District Court in St. Clair vs. The United States, Disability severence payments are amounts received for personal injury(ies) and are thus excluded from taxable income. The only caveats are (1) a VA rating for the injury for which severence pay was granted and (2) a waiver of an equivalent amount of VA disability pay ( See IRS "Action on Decision". #cc-1992-006, distributed 19 Dec 1991).

As indicated, I am in reciept of a VA rating for the injury for which I was granted severence pay, and I have waived a like amount of my VA disability pay. Therefore, I request a refund of taxes witheld in year _____, the year in which I recieved my severence pay.

• Individual Federal Tax Return for the year _________ ( the year I recieved my severence pay )
• Original IRS Form W-2
• Corrected IRS Form W-2
• VA Award Documentation
• Seperation Orders
• DD Form 214

Please contact me if you require additional information. My current phone number is ( )_________. My current address is ____________________________________.

Sincerely,

hiope this helps anyone out there to recover their taxed severence~

Mark~

This is great information that is asked 3-4 times a day.
Thanks Mark this will help a lot of warriors know what's current...
they may not understand, but that comes with the job :)

UPDATE FOR NG/RESERVE WHO SELL BACK LEAVE THAT WAS ACCUMULATED WHILE ON ACTIVE DUTY

I found out last week (after having been discharged on PDRL since mid- Apr) that my NG unit is responsible for sending in some paperwork before DFAS can pay me the 59.5 days of leave I accumulated while on Active Duty going through the IDES process - leave time I WAS TOLD WOULD BE PAID AUTOMATICALLY BY THE ARMY.

I asked about this issue of selling excess leave at JBLM when out-processing, and everyone there said the Active Army was responsible (WTU/CB-WTU). But now I'm being told by DFAS that my NG unit has to submit some paperwork first to DFAS.

My NG unit didn't seem to know that they are the initiating unit to get me paid my excess leave, either.

So next week, I am sending my NG S-1:

1. Copy of my DD 214

2. last copy of my orders that showed I was in a CB-WTU (Active Duty Unit)

3. Copy of retirement orders

4. Copy of final Active Dury LES that shows I still have leave time on the books that never got used.

Hope this info helps otherNG/Reserve SMs that are in the CB-WTU system that do sell back leave accumulated while on Active Duty going through the IDES process.

Will also let you know if this new informatin is correct and IF and When paid by DFAS, how much is taken out in Federal and/or State tax.

v/r,
nwlivewire

FURTHER UPDATE - 08 JUNE 2012 - UPDATE FOR NG/RESERVE WHO SELL BACK LEAVE THAT WAS ACCUMULATED WHILE ON ACTIVE DUTY

OK. Went on MYPAY website today and checked in on my DFAS accounting records - both the active side and the retired side.

1. There is an LES that says I am to be credited with THREE YEARS RETRO for clothing allowances I never received. I sent in an inquiry SEVERAL months ago (third inquiry) on this issue and it looks like they found three annual allotments I was never paid for these past three years.
This money is projected to be electronically deposited to my bank account next week.
THIS MONEY WAS NOT TAXED.

2. There is another LES that says I am to be credited with 59.5 days of leave I sold back when I retired mid-APR.
This money is projected to be electronically deposited to my bank account next week.
In my situation, THIS MONEY WAS FED AND STATE TAXED.

Total taxation percentage of gross leave amount = 33% net payment = almost 67% of gross

Total turn-around time (if deposit comes through next week) from time of retirement to date of deposit of sale of leave = 60 days.

DFAS seems to be running on time for my retirement transition issues.

Now what's up with the VA????

v/r,
nwlivewire

FURTHER UPDATE - 08 JUNE 2012 - UPDATE FOR NG/RESERVE WHO SELL BACK LEAVE THAT WAS ACCUMULATED WHILE ON ACTIVE DUTY

OK. Went on MYPAY website today and checked in on my DFAS accounting records - both the active side and the retired side.

1. There is an LES that says I am to be credited with THREE YEARS RETRO for clothing allowances I never received. I sent in an inquiry SEVERAL months ago (third inquiry) on this issue and it looks like they found three annual allotments I was never paid for these past three years.

2. There is another LES that says I am to be credited with 59.5 days of leave I sold back when I retired mid-APR.

Total taxation percentage of gross leave amount = 33% net payment = almost 67% of gross

Total turn-around time (if deposit comes through next week) from time of retirement to date of deposit of sale of leave = 60 days.

I DO NOT KNOW WHETHER OR NOT MY NG S-1 SUBMITTED OR WHETHER DFAS AUTOMATICALLY DID THIS WITHOUT THE NG S-1.

BUT, at least I'm going to get my leave paid to me!

Now what's up with the VA???? Still no word yet as to the finalization of my VA IDES "Proposed" rating of 100% unemployable.
v/r,
nwlivewire

Now what's up with the VA????

v/r,
nwlivewire

Your time clock from VA starts the first day of the month after you are seperated from service, and compensation from the VA will not commence until the following month. For example:
anytime in the month of June: Seperated from Sevice
01 July - 31 July - Your first complete month after seperated from service
01 August: Your VA Compensation payment should hit the first week of this month. ( You have to be one month seperated from service, a complete month 01 ____ - 31 _______ ) in order to qualify for the compensation month ) Your payment on that first week of August os for your July compensation.

If Im mistaken, please someone correct me, but I think this is how it was taught.

I hope this helps.

Mark~

Your time clock from VA starts the first day of the month after you are seperated from service, and compensation from the VA will not commence until the following month. For example:
anytime in the month of June: Seperated from Sevice
01 July - 31 July - Your first complete month after seperated from service
01 August: Your VA Compensation payment should hit the first week of this month. ( You have to be one month seperated from service, a complete month 01 ____ - 31 _______ ) in order to qualify for the compensation month ) Your payment on that first week of August os for your July compensation.

If Im mistaken, please someone correct me, but I think this is how it was taught.

I hope this helps.

Mark~

You may be correct on this for sure!

But I am still waiting for the VA to finalize my "proposed" claim.

Under the IDES system, I was mailed my "proposed" VA rating (over 20 pages) last SEP 2011.

Discharged from AD - PDRL APR 2012.

I called the 1-800 VA number again this morning, and was told the VA regional (Seattle) is still in the finalizing stage - that's where they review their "proposed" rating on me from last SEP 2011. I had to wait until I was discharged for them to review this "proposed" rating - they don't even begin this review/finalization process until after discharge.

I was told to expect another 45 days delay - Seattle is backed up. Also, if claim has many ratings for many medical/psych issues, this can also cause a further delay. Or so said the 1-800 VA telephone agent. There has been no updated action on my VA claim progress recorded on their computer system from the last time I called.

So I have to just wait until the VA gets to their finish line - whenever that will be. And meanwhile, DFAS will continue to pay me my full 70% PDRL (after taxes), until the VA gets done doing what they are doing.

Could be awhile...... This BDD system is not as efficient or as timely as it could be and this may take several months.

v/r,
nwlivewire

You may be correct on this for sure!

But I am still waiting for the VA to finalize my "proposed" claim.

Under the IDES system, I was mailed my "proposed" VA rating (over 20 pages) last SEP 2011.

Discharged from AD - PDRL APR 2012.

I called the 1-800 VA number again this morning, and was told the VA regional (Seattle) is still in the finalizing stage - that's where they review their "proposed" rating on me from last SEP 2011. I had to wait until I was discharged for them to review this "proposed" rating - they don't even begin this review/finalization process until after discharge.

I was told to expect another 45 days delay - Seattle is backed up. Also, if claim has many ratings for many medical/psych issues, this can also cause a further delay. Or so said the 1-800 VA telephone agent. There has been no updated action on my VA claim progress recorded on their computer system from the last time I called.

So I have to just wait until the VA gets to their finish line - whenever that will be. And meanwhile, DFAS will continue to pay me my full 70% PDRL (after taxes), until the VA gets done doing what they are doing.

Could be awhile...... This BDD system is not as efficient or as timely as it could be and this may take several months.

v/r,
nwlivewire

Rec'd a computer generated, standard stock letter from the Seattle VA Regional Office in my mailbox yesterday.

"Sorry, we're not done with processing your claim" (or words to this effect).

No reason was given for the delay nor was ant timelime given for any completion date.

Meanwhile, DFAS has paid me my 59.5 days of sale of leave and the back pay on annual clothing allowances I never rec'd while on active duty.

Jeep Freak said this letter is a common one - he's gotten a few himself.

Well, I need new wallpaper - so guess this will have to do for now.
lol
nwlivewire

Status
Not open for further replies.