Severance Pay

SSGNewt

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Hey everyone just wanted to ask if anyone knows for sure if I need to fill out paperwork to receive my severance pay. I was rated at 20% DoD and my finance office hasn't been able to give me an answer other than they think it will just be paid a couple weeks after my ETS. Can anyone shed some light on this??

You already signed off on your percentages, so that's your main input into accepting severance.

You need to check your DD214, which is the document directing seperation pay that finance uses, from their seperation code. Transition office creates the DD214 and has you sign, should be last step in outprocessing. The seperation code won't make any sense to you. Ask them before you sign if you're getting seperation pay, they should be able to yeah or nay, and you'll just have to trust them. If they act like you're crazy, they didn't get the PEB information somehow so you will have to figure out what went FUBAR. Never heard of this happening. They have to check your contracts and if your ETS doesn't match up they won't make a DD214 unless they figure out why, so they'll figure out that its the PEB that authorized the early release. Medical extensions don't come with a contract either, so that throws em for a loop just as much if they don't have the PEB info.

Seperation pay is part of your final paycheck, which should reach you in less than a month after ETS. Exact # of days depends on when your final ETS is compared to their processing cycle. My understanding is 10 days to process the final pay, if that gets to them by the 9th you see pay on the 15th, or if by the 23rd, see it on the 1st.

From what I understand, which is not first hand gospel....

DD 214, Block 26 (SPD Code) is very important if you are expecting Combat Related tax free status and/or no recoupment.
One of these two SPD codes should be in Block 26 to show it....

JFI, which is - Disability, Severance Pay, Combat Related
-or-
JEA, which is - Disability, Severance Pay, Combat Related (Enhanced)

(not sure what the "enhanced" gets you)

http://www.vfwofwa.org/Announcements/news/FL13-016.pdf

Last edited:
Great thanks for clearing that up. My DD214 does say severance pay and 20% percent along with TIS. It also has the JEA code. One less thing to worry about.