Should I file for CRSC?

Padgettra

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
All,
Facts as I know them today 29OCT2018. I have a 70% VACP rating, married with two dependent children (5 yrs old). Though the IPEB LOD unfit process VA continued PE 60%, DVT (left) 10%, DVT (right) 10%, Hernia 0%, hypertension 0%. I am waiting for my DOD Air Force rating from IPEB. The LOD was in a combat zone Al Udied AFB Qatar in 2010 (I was NOT in combat yet suffered the illness while there and air evac'd to Germany LRMC for 10 days of treatment) then returned to finish the tour. Question is since the illness was incurred during the tour should I file for CRSC? What are the odds with the information shared that it will be approved? Once I get my DoD rating from the IPEB (est. mid November) should I file with the Air Force as part of the PEB? Or is it a independent filing and stands on its own after I am retired? Does CRSC only come into play once I reach my promise date (i.e. 58.5 years of age) since that is when I could receive CRDP?

I have a 70% VACP rating, married with two dependent children (5 yrs old). Average top three ~9,000 (O-5 with 20 year reserve letter and 34 years of service, so CRDP is not until 58.5 years for me. I am currently 54). I am missing one huge variable in the equation which is the DOD PDRL rating. I am assuming since my PE LOD condition is 60%, then my DOD PDRL rating will be 60%, yet have to wait and see. The DOD rating sets the max retirement pay and would provide any residual retirement pay if more than my $1563 VACP 70%.

Thanks in advance for the information. Ron P

chaplaincharlie

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
@RonP
Illness while in a combat zone probably does not meet the criteria for CRSC
1540828833761.png
Simply being in a combat one does not constitute hazardous duty for the purposes of CRSC.

But it cost little to apply. Certain condition are presumptive.

Best wishes
Mike

RonG

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I agree with chaplaincharlie, to include it costs little to apply.

Other:
—You must be retired in order to receive CRSC. CRSC replaces some or all of waived retired pay for combat related disabilities
—With a medical retirement, one can receive CRSC before reseaching the age requirement for CRDP eligibility (reservists) .
—All of my CRSC applications have been submitted after retirement (regular).
—CRSC does not replace the disability portion of waived retired pay.
—I never guess whether a disability will be approved for CRSC unless a Purple Heart was awarded for the action that resulted in the disability OR it is one of the “presumptively caused by...disabilities”. See: https://benefits.va.gov/BENEFITS/factsheets/serviceconnected/presumption.pdf

Ron

Last edited:

Padgettra

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I agree with chaplaincharlie, to include it costs little to apply.

Other:
—You must be retired in order to receive CRSC. CRSC replaces some or all of waived retired pay for combat related disabilities
—With a medical retirement, one can receive CRSC before reseaching the age requirement for CRDP eligibility (reservists) .
—All of my CRSC applications have been submitted after retirement (regular).
—CRSC does not replace the disability portion of waived retired pay.
—I never guess whether a disability will be approved for CRSC unless a Purple Heart was awarded for the action that resulted in the disability OR it is one of the “presumptively caused by...disabilities”. See: https://benefits.va.gov/BENEFITS/factsheets/serviceconnected/presumption.pdf

Ron
Ron G, thank you and I appreciate the insight. It appears to me that I would have to apply after my Reserve retirement point, for that is the first time I would be eligible for CRDP. The illness condition blood clots and will be the reason I am PDRL, so it might have a chance. Thanks Ron P

Padgettra

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
@RonP
Illness while in a combat zone probably does not meet the criteria for CRSC
View attachment 3356
Simply being in a combat one does not constitute hazardous duty for the purposes of CRSC.

But it cost little to apply. Certain condition are presumptive.

Best wishes
Mike
Mike, thank you and I appreciate the insight. It appears to me that I would have to apply after my Reserve retirement point, for that is the first time I would be eligible for CRDP. The illness condition blood clots and will be the reason I am PDRL, so it might have a chance. Thanks Ron P

RonG

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Mike, thank you and I appreciate the insight. It appears to me that I would have to apply after my Reserve retirement point, for that is the first time I would be eligible for CRDP. The illness condition blood clots and will be the reason I am PDRL, so it might have a chance. Thanks Ron P
You will have to apply for CRDP upon attaining the age requirement for RC retirement.

If you receive a CH 61 disability retirement now and receive CRSC approval, you can be paid CRSC before meeting the RC age requirement (for RC retirement). In other words, the effective date of CRSC could be the same date you began to accrue VA compensation.

Ron

chaplaincharlie

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
@Padgettra

When comes to the money part @RonG is one of the best on this forum. His taste in football teams; however, is not to be trusted. Go Frogs!

RonG

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Re: Frogs

touché

I used to root for most of the old Southwest Conference teams (OSU was in the Big Eight). Norm Bulaish of the Frogs was the same age as me if I remember correctly.

My college education was completed while in the Army through several schools, none of which had a decent football team.

I worked at OSU long enough to retire and they became “my team.”

Ron

Padgettra

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member

touché

I used to root for most of the old Southwest Conference teams (OSU was in the Big Eight). Norm Bulaish of the Frogs was the same age as me if I remember correctly.

My college education was completed while in the Army through several schools, none of which had a decent football team.

Ron
Thanks for all of the input and sound advice. It is appreciated.

chaplaincharlie

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member

touché

Ron
I was a Frog during grad school for three years. First year - no wins, second year, one tie - no wins, third year one win. Those years make this year look good. Best wishes to your Cowboys. The years of the SWC are gone, unfortunately.

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">