Should I go through with MEB or separate early?

koalab

PEB Forum Regular Member
Which will have better benefits in the end? What are the compensation rates for my case? Here is my info:

There is a job opening up on base where I work. I am going to try and separate and get that job. My MEB advisor said that I can choose which option to separate.

1) Go through with MEB (complete in late 2010).
2) Separate early with 2 years left on my enlistment (I will have 4 years in). This is one option with the new force shape that is coming out in the coming months (not sure how long this process is).

If I go with the MEB, I may not be able to get the job - it may already get filled.

I am being diagnosed with exertional compartmental syndrome (both legs), and neurologist shows some minor nerve damage as a result from running. I am NOT going through with the surgery.

Does anyone have any experience with the compensation? I was told that if I separate early rather than go through with MEB, the VA usually offers a higher percentage than the AF.

I am kind of in a bind on which route to take, although I am leaning towards the early separation.

Any help is appreciated.

koalab,

You should know by not going through the MEB, you will risk losing a severance or retirement. Something else to keep in mind is that you once you separate, you're entitled to unemployment benefits as well. Your going to have to weigh the pros and cons of this decision very carefully. Yes, the VA gives higher rating, because the military only rates those conditions which are unfitting for continued military service. However, as an example, a 30% DoD rating will get you a retirement check at about 1/2 your base pay and the same VA rating will get you about $500/mo.

Jobs will come and go, but a military retirement can be permanent (depending on your rating) which you'd have for the rest of your life.

Which will have better benefits in the end? What are the compensation rates for my case? Here is my info:

There is a job opening up on base where I work. I am going to try and separate and get that job. My MEB advisor said that I can choose which option to separate.

2) Separate early with 2 years left on my enlistment (I will have 4 years in). This is one option with the new force shape that is coming out in the coming months (not sure how long this process is).

If I go with the MEB, I may not be able to get the job - it may already get filled.

I am being diagnosed with exertional compartmental syndrome (both legs), and neurologist shows some minor nerve damage as a result from running. I am NOT going through with the surgery.

Does anyone have any experience with the compensation? I was told that if I separate early rather than go through with MEB, the VA usually offers a higher percentage than the AF.

I am kind of in a bind on which route to take, although I am leaning towards the early separation.

Any help is appreciated.

Koalab,
I am in the exact same boat as you are. We have very simular stories and I asked the same questions to the great people on this board. I received a good bit of advice.
Check out this thread --> http://www.pebforum.com/f9/upcoming-separation-medical-hold-17827/

Any help is appreciated.

Koalab,
I am in the exact same boat as you are. We have very similar stories and I asked the same questions to the great people on this board. I received a good bit of advice.
Check out this thread --> http://www.pebforum.com/f9/upcoming-separation-medical-hold-17827/

I weighed the pro's and cons. For me to appeal [the IPEB] and wait on taking that good job (at the risk of losing it),was worth it in the long run. A severance check will run out in a given time frame where as a retirement check will be there every month... my .02.