Should I pursue medical retirement?

oldsarge

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
I would welcome your advice and any information you can share with me.

I'm a 51 year old M- Day soldier in the ARNG. As of 11 APR 2021, I have 17 years, 4 months and 28 days of service, with some 2500 or so retirement points. I did a tour in Afghanistan for almost a year, and my other 12-15 months active duty time is for various training events so my total AD time is 2 - 2 1/4 years.

I currently have a combined 90% VA disability rating - 20% right shoulder, 10% left shoulder, 10% left elbow, 10% herniated disc, 10% tinnitus, and 70% anxiety/depression/ PTSD. All of these are service connected, and I have LODs for the shoulders, elbow, herniated disc.

I've reached a point where I don't feel I can physically do what's needed to stay in the ARNG, even though I have a non-combat MOS. The Army's new ACFT, most of the PRT exercises, or even just standing at parade rest are quite the painful tasks. I don't want to further injure my shoulder or back, so I am considering pursuing a medical retirement.

Would I be in any danger of being medically separated instead of medically retired?

If I am medically retired, I understand my retirement pay as well as TRICARE coverage for retirees/family would begin at that time, not at age 60 - is that correct?

Would I be eligible to receive both military medical retirement pay as well as my VA disability compensation? Is this even possible?

Any sound advice would be greatly appreciated.

There are so many unknowns still. But at first glance, it doesn't look like you would get retirement. Depending on what is actually causing your VA% the Army would likely only rate your back as a referred and unfitting condition. So that means military separation is most likely, you would get DoD 10% and keep your 90% VA.

As far as dual retirement and VA.. this currently doesn't happen. You get one or the other. Only 20 year retirements get to dual collect with VA over 50%

With all of that said, I obviously don't know anything about you're injuries and am not a lawyer. Also, there is a "act" being considered by the senate called the Major Richard Star Act. It would allow for Combat injured medical retirees to dual collect retirement and VA (but only if you qualify).