Signatures issues

Jason Perry

Founder and Leader
Site Founder
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
I have gotten a few private messages complaining that lengthy signatures that some members have are a distraction and make threads hard to read (by breaking up the flow and requiring scrolling).

In the past, I had thought that listing case timelines in your signature could be a good idea. However, on reflection and seeing that in threads with several members doing the same thing, I can see that it can render 80% or more of the text in a thread just repetitive signatures. I agree that this can make following a thread difficult. So, here is what we are going to do:

1) I am initially just going to encourage folks to move their timelines or any lengthy signature to a thread- and then they can link the thread in their signature. I am not going to, at this time, set a specific length or size limit on signatures.

2) There is a software add on that limits signatures to the persons first post in a thread. I intend on adding that feature to the site in the coming days or week(s). (I have some other priorities to attend to, but will get to this before long).

So, the second step will follow at some time after this thread. I trust that people will just do what I am "encouraging them" to do. Some folks are not going to have visited in a while and may miss this thread (though, I will also link it to a pop-up notification so it should not be missed...but, you never know) so I don't expect that everyone will address this all at once. At some point, though, I may take steps to enforce this, though, my interest level in personally editing profiles is nil. I also know that this community has a great record with "policing" itself and reminding others about various issues. We will see how things develop and adjust course as necessary.

Any comments are welcome.

Signatures....kind of like grooming standards.

Jason- i wanted to weight in. i always appreciate some of the basic dates. Especially the timeframe that it takes to get the packet back from the VA. I use it as a gauge for my case and other cases on my team.

V/r
Green

Jason- i wanted to weight in. i always appreciate some of the basic dates. Especially the timeframe that it takes to get the packet back from the VA. I use it as a gauge for my case and other cases on my team.

V/r
Green
That is the trade-off....the information is useful to some folks, but it is a distraction to others and doesn't need to be in every post. That is why I am thinking to have people post the information in a thread and link it in the signature. That way it can be accessible to those you find it useful, but it doesn't interrupt flow of reading and take up space.

Though, if you or anyone can think of a better way of balancing the issues, please do chime in. I am very willing to implement other ideas if the goals can be accomplished in a better way.

A thought might be to limit the timeline in the signature to include only the major events like initiation of MEB; submission to PEB; found unfit/sent to VA, etc. I was thinking maybe to match the dashboard but that is still a long(ish) list.
Then you can add an embedded link to a post that includes your entire detailed timeline if you want. Oh, and I would edit my signature but I am posting from my phone. Will comply when I can get to a real computer!

I have gotten a few private messages complaining that lengthy signatures that some members have are a distraction and make threads hard to read (by breaking up the flow and requiring scrolling).

In the past, I had thought that listing case timelines in your signature could be a good idea. However, on reflection and seeing that in threads with several members doing the same thing, I can see that it can render 80% or more of the text in a thread just repetitive signatures. I agree that this can make following a thread difficult. So, here is what we are going to do:

1) I am initially just going to encourage folks to move their timelines or any lengthy signature to a thread- and then they can link the thread in their signature. I am not going to, at this time, set a specific length or size limit on signatures.

2) There is a software add on that limits signatures to the persons first post in a thread. I intend on adding that feature to the site in the coming days or week(s). (I have some other priorities to attend to, but will get to this before long).

So, the second step will follow at some time after this thread. I trust that people will just do what I am "encouraging them" to do. Some folks are not going to have visited in a while and may miss this thread (though, I will also link it to a pop-up notification so it should not be missed...but, you never know) so I don't expect that everyone will address this all at once. At some point, though, I may take steps to enforce this, though, my interest level in personally editing profiles is nil. I also know that this community has a great record with "policing" itself and reminding others about various issues. We will see how things develop and adjust course as necessary.

Any comments are welcome.

Signatures....kind of like grooming standards.

That is the trade-off....the information is useful to some folks, but it is a distraction to others and doesn't need to be in every post. That is why I am thinking to have people post the information in a thread and link it in the signature. That way it can be accessible to those you find it useful, but it doesn't interrupt flow of reading and take up space.

Though, if you or anyone can think of a better way of balancing the issues, please do chime in. I am very willing to implement other ideas if the goals can be accomplished in a better way.

Indeed, no worries; comply then continue to be positively proactive! ;)

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer."

Best Wishes!

UPDATE:

I have found another solution that may meet the goals better.

If you look up at the editor icons, you can select "Insert," then "Spoiler," and then name it "Timeline."

If you edit your signature, and go through the above steps, then you will be able to include the Timeline in your signature and it will be hidden unless you click on it.

Here is a graphical aid:

upload_2014-10-14_16-17-20.png

Folks can try this and see how this works. Seems like a good solution to the "problem." Remember, you have to do this in your signature for it to show up.

@Warrior644, @bpreachers, @Where2Now

UPDATE:

If you look up at the editor icons, you can select "Insert," then "Spoiler," and then name it "Timeline."

If you edit your signature, and go through the above steps, then you will be able to include the Timeline in your signature and it will be hidden unless you click on it.

Here is a graphical aid:

View attachment 1503

Folks can try this and see how this works. Seems like a good solution to the "problem." Remember, you have to do this in your signature for it to show up.

Hmm, okay indeed, I shall try it! Thanks! :)

As always, I/we truly appreciate your continuing efforts to provide the "best" PEB Forum online product to all participants world-wide! :cool:

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer."

Best Wishes!

UPDATE:

Here is a graphical aid:

View attachment 1503

Great fix. Works like a champ.

Been a while since I've been on. I've got catching up to do.

Genius!