Sleep apnea P2 profile

redleg_64

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
I have moderate obstructive sleep apnea and I have recently been issued a permanent P2 profile stating that I need to use my CPAP machine at least 4 hours a night for 70% of nights and cannot be deployed anywhere without reliable electricity. I'm currently in TRADOC and will head back to an artillery unit in a few months. Does anyone have experience using CPAP machines in combat arms units? I'm going to a towed artillery unit and the last time I recall there were not any electric hookups in those vehicles. Sure, every now and then we will set up a tent that may or may not have electric but if we do that more often than not the living conditions are still pretty messy, with water, mud and other hazards all over the place.

I imagine if I am assigned to a staff section I will not have too much of a problem but I'm slotted as a section chief I am not so sure that the CPAP will survive. Who has experience as to what may happen with this?

70% of the nights means 9 days a month you can be without CPAP and remain within the profile. Realistically that means only NTC/JRTC are likely to be a problem, with the ~14 days in the box.

Combat units never appreciate anything medical interfering with the mission. If you bring up that they check your machine's chip for compliance, likely they won't give you too much of a hard time making sure you sleep a few nights at the battery TOC, which will have reliable electricity. Between simulated death and scenario resets, it should be pretty doable. To be fair, nobody gets very good sleep during training maneuvers, so I'm not convinced those that simply break their profile during training are 100% wrong.