Sleep Apnea rated at zero

ngkm5

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I’m currently rated at 0% sleep apnea (service connected) and recently did another sleep study and now have a machine.

My questions are:

- do I request compensation via ebenefits?
- And by doing so, does require an exam?
- And If an exam is required, wouldn’t all my injuries be re-evaluated?
- And finally - if I do get a rating higher than 0%, is there a minimum amount of time I have to use the machine? If I do not meet that requirement (for example - by not using it) will the compensation be revoked or at-least chancing it??

Thanks

I’m currently rated at 0% sleep apnea (service connected) and recently did another sleep study and now have a machine.

My questions are:

- do I request compensation via ebenefits?
- And by doing so, does require an exam?
- And If an exam is required, wouldn’t all my injuries be re-evaluated?
- And finally - if I do get a rating higher than 0%, is there a minimum amount of time I have to use the machine? If I do not meet that requirement (for example - by not using it) will the compensation be revoked or at-least chancing it??

Thanks

Indeed, you can file via eBenefits for a DoVA increased rating for Sleep Apnea with CPAP/BPAP machine. As such, a new DoVA C&P Examination might not be required if your medical evidence and/or medical documentation supports your DoVA disability claim so that the DoVA Rating Agency can make an informed decision. If a C&P Exam is required, then the DoVA VBA will only order the exam for Sleep Apnea; not every military service connected disability at least in my experienced opinion.

Lastly, in order to maintain any DoVA rating for Sleep Apnea, you will need to remain in compliance with the criteria as annotated in 38 CFR VASRD. If it's determined by medical evidence/medical documentation or the lack there of that the veteran isn't properly utilizing the CPAP/BPAP machine then the DoVA VBA could propose to decrease the current DoVA rating to a new DoVA rating in accordance with the criteria as annotated in 38 CFR VASRD. Take care!

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer!"

Best Wishes!

Well put response!
Thanks for your time, very helpful and apologize for the late response.

Well put response!
Thanks for your time, very helpful and apologize for the late response.
Indeed, you are welcome; no worries! Take care! Happy New Year, too!

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer!"

Best Wishes!

I encourage compliance with CPAP therapy. You will likely feel much better. Furthermore, SA can be deadly when untreated.

I do too.
However, decided to NOT use the machine as therapy and use the mouth piece when I was originally diagnosed.

Long story short - I was diagnosed prior to my EAS, went through dental (Navy) to get a fitting done, 6 weeks later I got a call to pick it up, and the thing didn’t fit. The doctor had to do a refitting and send it out.
A few weeks later I finally got my EAS and left the local area. I advised that I’d be moving and they noting it as not being an issue and requested my forwarding address.

After I EASd, they gave me a call and told me that they lost the fitting and that I need to come back in to redo the process again. I advised that I am no longer active duty nor am I in the local area San Diego area. So, I never got a mouth piece.

Once I got linked up with the local VA system, I tried to get a replacement piece but I was informed only Veterans with 100% disability rate dental benefits. So they gave me another sleep study, then issued me a machine.

My state Veterans assistance organization advised that I request an increase for sleep apnea (as the latest test shows I have it) but - I don’t use the thing, so I’ve been hesitant to request it.

I knew when I was originally diagnosed with sleep apnea that I wouldn’t use it....that’s why I requested a mouth piece.